What was Your Workout Today?

Yesterday I went grocery shopping, which doesn't sound like much except that I was out of EVERYTHING - - nothing but one egg and ketchup in my frig, and a complete empty freezer, and cupboards to match. So, by the time I lugged all that food to the Venza and home, carried it inside and put everything away, it sure seemed like exercise. :LOL:

Anyway, then I rode my stationary bike which I recently began doing on my non-weightlifting days. I am just starting so I am not riding as far as most of those here, yet, but you all are very inspiring! I am using the programmed rides that simulate hills with varying resistance, and that is helping to keep it from being excruciatinglly dull. The TV supposedly helps as well, but that can be pretty dull itself at times. To me, most cardio is pretty boring, so anything to combat that problem is a big plus.

Today is a gym day for us, so I will be weightlifting again, which is never dull or boring to me for some reason. I am beginning to lift more now that my shoulder pain has diminished. Last time I lifted 17.0 tons, and still no (bad) pain, so today I will probably increase a little more.

Last edited:
The weather change, along with running the heat some morning, has messed with my sinuses lately, so been taking it easy. Walked at couple of miles yesterday. Went to the gym for upper body day. Starting to alternate 2X10X3 with the 5X5X3 I've been doing, since I've stalled a bit on the progression. Still riding bike, though not as much as I'd like, or should...

Been focusing on adding strength and muscle, but considering a more balanced approach of strength, endurance, HIIT, and stretching yoga. A couple of the fairer gender of the species do some interesting workouts at the fitness center I go to, involving whole body work with lighter weights and heavy balls (stop snickering...), and lots of moves for core strength and balance. Too ADD; need to write all that down, and work up a routine...

"Garden Aerobics" - planted 35 azaleas along the driveway, lugged ~70 gallons of water to them (2 gallons/per plant - too far for the hoses to reach).

Time for an adult beverage.

Had to quit running for 5 months ago due to back/knee and hip problems. Chiro told me it's ok to start again. Had to quit weights a week ago after smashing a finger. I've been walking an hour a day, but that doesn't seem strenuous enough. Cant wait to get started more vigorously - pants are starting to get snug.

Last edited:
Yesterday: five mile walk with DW. Picked up her part-time paycheck, mailed it, brief stop for coffee, delivery and pickup at library of reading materials and videos, then back home. Lots of chit chat and only one disagreement. Good way to spend a Friday morning!

Had to quit running for 5 months ago due to back/knee and hip problems. Chiro told me it's ok to start again. Had to quit weights a week ago after smashing a finger. I've been walking an hour a day, but that doesn't seem strenuous enough. Cant wait to get started more vigorously - pants are starting to get snug.

How wonderful that you can get back to running again! I am not a runner but it sure sounds like you are looking forward to getting back to it. :D

I am beginning to lift more now that my shoulder pain has diminished. Last time I lifted 17.0 tons, and still no (bad) pain, so today I will probably increase a little more.

I did increase to 17.5 tons lifted yesterday, and no further (bad) shoulder pain so that is very encouraging. As always, the 64-year-old W2R has to be very cautious compared with the 20-year-old W2R of years ago.

Today I am going to increase the time and distance a little on my stationary bike. Cardio has not been "my thing" in the past, but I do need to incorporate it into my life. Right now my time/distance is laughable because I am such a beginner. Hopefully in time I will become more capable.

Last edited:
How wonderful that you can get back to running again! I am not a runner but it sure sounds like you are looking forward to getting back to it. :D

I did increase to 17.5 tons lifted yesterday, and no further (bad) shoulder pain so that is very encouraging. As always, the 64-year-old W2R has to be very cautious compared with the 20-year-old W2R of years ago.

Today I am going to increase the time and distance a little on my stationary bike. Cardio has not been "my thing" in the past, but I do need to incorporate it into my life. Right now my time/distance is laughable because I am such a beginner. Hopefully in time I will become more capable.

Just curious, how many machines are you using to lift 17.5 tons?

Golfnut

Just curious, how many machines are you using to lift 17.5 tons?

Golfnut

In answer to your question, I do two sets of 10 reps on each of the following 20 different weight machines.

1. Keiser triceps pushdown - 140 pounds
2. Keiser biaxial chest press - 50 pounds
3. Keiser upper back machine - 65 pounds
4. Keiser Cybex back extension machine - 140 pounds
5. Nautilus compound row - 120 pounds
6. Nautilus lateral pull down - 75 pounds
7. Nautilus chest press - 65 pounds
8. Nautilus abdominal machine - 80 pounds
9. Nautilus arm curl - 45 pounds
10. Nautilus triceps extension - 60 pounds
11. Cybex leg extension - 40 pounds
12. Cybex leg curl - 110 pounds
13. Cybex calf rotator - 160 pounds
14. Cybex hip abductor - 130 pounds
15. Cybex hip adductor - 140 pounds
16. Cybex abdominal machine - 110 pounds
17. Cybex arm extension - 70 pounds
18. Cybex fly - 35 pounds
19. Cybex overhead press - 30 pounds
20. Cybex seated row machine - 85 pounds

My average weight lifted on each rep on these machines is 87.5 pounds.

It's not really as extreme as it sounds when expressed in tons, is it! :D

((2*10) x 20 x 87.5)/2000 = 17.5 tons

I plan to increase some of the wimpier weights, such as on #18 and #19 and #6 and a half dozen other machines, now that my shoulder pain is almost gone. It is amazing how many of these machines do involve the shoulder, even the Nautilus abdominal machine. I am lookng forward to getting back to my prior heavier workouts.

I have been doing this routine for years (well, with 19 machines; added a 20th at Brewer's suggestion back in post #51). It is not a very standard routine but I love it and it gives me the results that I want. I complete this routine, plus 5-10 minutes of stretching, in a total of 37-44 minutes so it borders on circuit training but I guess not quite.

Last edited:
4 mile run, with a mile walk to cool down. It was a beautiful morning, lots of sunshine, cool temps. I came home singing "I feel good, nananananana, like I knew that I would, nananananana....". DW just thinks I'm crazy.

R

In answer to your question, I do two sets of 10 reps on each of the following 20 different weight machines.

1. Keiser triceps pushdown - 140 pounds
2. Keiser biaxial chest press - 50 pounds
3. Keiser upper back machine - 65 pounds
4. Keiser Cybex back extension machine - 140 pounds
5. Nautilus compound row - 120 pounds
6. Nautilus lateral pull down - 75 pounds
7. Nautilus chest press - 65 pounds
8. Nautilus abdominal machine - 80 pounds
9. Nautilus arm curl - 45 pounds
10. Nautilus triceps extension - 60 pounds
11. Cybex leg extension - 40 pounds
12. Cybex leg curl - 110 pounds
13. Cybex calf rotator - 160 pounds
14. Cybex hip abductor - 130 pounds
15. Cybex hip adductor - 140 pounds
16. Cybex abdominal machine - 110 pounds
17. Cybex arm extension - 70 pounds
18. Cybex fly - 35 pounds
19. Cybex overhead press - 30 pounds
20. Cybex seated row machine - 85 pounds

My average weight lifted on each rep on these machines is 87.5 pounds.

It's not really as extreme as it sounds when expressed in tons, is it! :D

((2*10) x 20 x 87.5)/2000 = 17.5 tons

I plan to increase some of the wimpier weights, such as on #18 and #19 and #6 and a half dozen other machines, now that my shoulder pain is almost gone. It is amazing how many of these machines do involve the shoulder, even the Nautilus abdominal machine. I am lookng forward to getting back to my prior heavier workouts.

I have been doing this routine for years (well, with 19 machines; added a 20th at Brewer's suggestion back in post #51). It is not a very standard routine but I love it and it gives me the results that I want. I complete this routine, plus 5-10 minutes of stretching, in a total of 37-44 minutes so it borders on circuit training but I guess not quite.

Very impressive! You must need some kind of list to keep track of all the machines/weights when you get to the gym.

Very impressive! You must need some kind of list to keep track of all the machines/weights when you get to the gym.

Thank you.

I remember them pretty well, but also keep a list in the notepad app that came with my iPhone. I pull up that app and clip my iPhone to my waistband. That way if I am not sure, or if I change the weight, I can just quickly glance at the list on my iPhone or enter the new weight.

My gym has a computer system connected to all the weight machines, to do the same, but I forgot my password for it years ago.

Last edited:
I have not been lifting weights much lately as I seem to be getting a lot oif real life exercise these days. Yesterday I was supposed to help haul and set up, judge, and then break down and haul stuff for my club's homebrew compettion, but my cold means I could not judge (cannot smell much). So in between early morning and evening volunteer commitments to lug and haul tables and chairs for the competition (those tables were heavy), I drove to a state park and hiked perhaps 4 or 5 miles while carrying a 6+ pound weight in my hand (i.e. a shotgun) and a weighted vest (i.e. gear and what I caught in my game vest). I have been doing enough of this lately that I have noticed increased upper body muscle development and I managed lugging weights (tables, 2 cases of beer at a time, etc.) at the competition that everyone else seemed to struggle with, especially on the stairs.

Tonight will be squirrel Aurora for dinner.

For the last few weeks I haven't gone to the gym because I am painting my house by roller and brush. Stairsteps - ladder, Upper body - roller, brush, sanding, scraping. Almost done!! Good thing because it is suppose to snow this weekend.

Yesterday I ran in an 8K trail run/race. It was my first time running a trail race and it was listed as "VERY challenging". It was kind of crazy, really: part trail run, part hiking, part mountain climbing (or so it seemed). There were places on the trail where everyone stopped to a slow walk/climb and went up a steep muddy hill single file. It was so narrow I couldn't even place both my feet next to each other. I had to grab at tree branches and even large rocks to keep from going backwards! On the parts where I could run, my foot almost never landed flat. I decided the goal was to not twist an ankle or go flying face first.

What made it fun was that I ran it with a group of my running friends, and we all stayed and socialized afterwards. I can't say that I'd ever do another trail race on my own, although I'd probably do it again with a bunch of friends.

For the last few weeks I haven't gone to the gym because I am painting my house by roller and brush. Stairsteps - ladder, Upper body - roller, brush, sanding, scraping. Almost done!! Good thing because it is suppose to snow this weekend.

It is amazing how home projects are some of the best workouts. I raked leaves for about 7 hours Saturday and I can still feel it.

It is amazing how home projects are some of the best workouts. I raked leaves for about 7 hours Saturday and I can still feel it.

You got that right. Once I retire, I have two acres to landscape and care for. I plan to dig the trenches for the irrigation system mostly by hand...for the above reason. Current thinking is that I can probably swing the pick and shovel for a couple hours a day after a week or so of building up to it. If this pans out, then I will have probably 4-6 months worth of upper body workouts, just to put in the irrigation system. If that plan fails, or I get bored with swinging the pick, I've got a Kubota BX23 with a mini back-hoe...I'll exercise my fingertips with the backhoe joysticks...:D

Today's workout was a 4.5 mile run. Heading out now for my 2 mile lunchtime walk.

R

Little 11KM run yesterday, some pushups too. Finding it really hard to stay motivated now that the cold and wind are in full force. Letting the chinups slide and the other calisthenics too. I signed up for a 10K race to motivate myself but haven't even trained for it (it is in 3.5 weeks) Which could be interesting. In a bad way.

6 mile run yesterday plus a couple miles walking later in the day. Today 4.5 mile run. Tomorrow will be a bike day, or a rest day, depending on how sore I am from moving a bunch of boxes today.

R

About a 5 mile ramble over somewhat rough (but flat) terrain loaded up with heavy clothing and a 6 pound "weight" in my arms. Does the cold affect your calorie burn rate? It was 19F when I got there in the morning, never got above freezing, and 17F when I left half an hour after sundown.

Spent 3 hours raking and cleaning out the flower beds from all of the downed leaves. I sort of wish they all came down at once. But then again, that would be one massive workout, instead of multiple days!

About a 5 mile ramble over somewhat rough (but flat) terrain loaded up with heavy clothing and a 6 pound "weight" in my arms. Does the cold affect your calorie burn rate? It was 19F when I got there in the morning, never got above freezing, and 17F when I left half an hour after sundown.
Brewer, that sounds like great exercise even though I don't think you can count on gaining any extra calories from the cold. I always felt like I was using extra calories due to the intense heat here in the summertime, but despite being drenched and completely exhausted after a workout in the heat I didn't lose weight any faster. YMMV

As for my workouts lately, I have been trying to get back to where I was. I skipped the gym completely on Nov 5th out of dire necessity due to intense stomach flu. Or, maybe it was the $%)(* Chinese food we ate, since F got it 30 minutes after I did. At any rate, after that I still felt far too weak on Nov 7th to lift any weights at all. Instead I just rode the seated elliptical at the gym in a very leisurely way and called it a day.

So, getting back on track I lifted 16.7 tons on Friday and again yesterday, cutting back on most machines and especially those machines that use my shoulder. I can always increase slowly again and get back to where I was.

I'm not worried about getting back on track with weight lifting, since that is a habit by now, but riding my stationary bike on days when I don't lift is not a habit yet and it fell by the wayside when I was sick. So, today I have the opportunity to start doing that again. :blush:

Last edited:
Finally getting back into the chinups. Did a descending set from 6 yesterday (6,5,4,3,2,1)
A couple of ones in the middle were ugly. Also walked to work and back (5km in the rain)
Going out for a 7k trail run this afternoon. It is cold but bright so no excuses..

I enjoyed a week of leisurely strolling around San Antonio & Houston with no sweaty exercise, but vacation's over.

Probably just as well. The surfing sucked in both cities.

You got that right. Once I retire, I have two acres to landscape and care for. I plan to dig the trenches for the irrigation system mostly by hand...for the above reason. Current thinking is that I can probably swing the pick and shovel for a couple hours a day after a week or so of building up to it.
I think a DitchWitch will still give you plenty of exercise without the back injuries...

3 to 4 miles with a weighted vest and a 2 pound weight (revolver). However, this was at 8,000+ feet elevation with steep inclines, so it felt like more. I am tired tonight and not looking forward to my 4 straight hours of stressful meetings tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom