When I grow up, I want to be...

I suspect there are a lot more guys in their 80's that are like that than we know! There is a guy at my gym who looks maybe 53 or so, and I found out from him that he is 82. (His wife is that age too, and has recently joined him at the gym.) He lifts weights (a respectable amount, too) for a couple of hours and then runs on the elliptical for 45 minutes, every day, I think. He has great biceps and no weight issues. I asked him if he had been athletic during his youth, and he said no, that he never played sports in school or did anything very athletic. This has all been an interest that he picked up later in life. He is such an inspiration for me, and knowing him has caused me to rethink many of my assumptions about aging.

So I say, go for it! :)

Last edited:
I want to be like most of the women in my family who live semi independently , have their hair done , play cards ,do to New York times crossword puzzle , go out to lunch and are still able to hold their own in a political argument way into their late nineties .

I agree and need to start doing a better job of exercising. I am too hit or miss right now.

We have a close friend who was born and raised on a farm, and so grew up being physically active doing chores and farm work. She later married a farmer and continued on doing chores and farm work, while raising a family. After her husband passed away a few years ago, she leased out the farm, and built a new home closer to town. She owns a car, but walks or runs just about all of the time. She walks a mile or two each way to go for breakfast, and then the same for lunch.....almost every day! She normally walks to and from the grocery store, which is about 1/2 mile each way. She absolutely LOVES running in 5k races, and will gladly drive out of town to do so! And she never really cares what the weather is....says she can dress for it accordingly. Heck, I get tuckered out just seeing her out and about! ;)

Oh, I almost forgot! She's 84 years old!!!

Keeping active seems to be the key and having great genes helps :D My FIL will be 90 this year. Guy drives and putts around pretty well. Is not much of an exerciser but is physically active with yard work and enjoys walks in the forest.

Best advice I got from him. "Save room for dessert" :D

Most people I know only realise the benefits of exercise at a later age either because of sickness or high cholesterol or more time. I've never been active in sports and hardly did any exercise after I started working. I remembered that I started to jog at around the age of 39. The first time I jogged, I fainted! That gave me a real health scare. I jog regularly now and try to push myself to do a little more every day. But I wonder whether I can still jog in my eighties.

Back
Top Bottom