"World-class colonoscopy"

....We called it "John Wayne" toilet paper.

The saving angle backfired after many folks developed irritations and were unable to sit for long periods.

:LOL:

It is little gems like this that remind me how lucky I am to be ERed.

Thanks.
I think it is odd that I never met or seen the doctor during all of this.

Wouldn't that suck if you were the victim of an elaborate practical joke? Any chance you heard friends snickering in the background at any point?

This is why I refuse to befriend anesthesiologists... well, that and it's too dang hard to spell their profession!

Thanks.
I think it is odd that I never met or seen the doctor during all of this.

Interesting. You were drugged, woke up, someone told you that the Doc said nothing was found, and you or your insurance company was charged a load of money. Suspicious, I am :D

Well, some was there to bill me at least.

The bills and questions are already starting to roll in. This thing was supposed to be non-deductable type covered. I hope it doesn't turn in to yet another pain in the you know what.

With my insurance company, Humana, a screening colonoscopy doesn't have a deductible. The anesthesiologist had the deductible / co-pay. I used an endoscopy center in Shreveport instead of a hospital.

Doctor's bill: $879 / Plan paid: $477 / My portion: $0
Endoscopy Center billed: $920 / Plan paid: $503 / My portion: $0
Anesthesiologist billed: $833 / Plan paid: $82.28 (the rest of my deductible) / My portion: $240

My spouse had a colonscopy done at the local hospital two years ago and the bill was about $2,000. I would much rather go to an endoscopy center than a hospital because it's just easier. And apparently less expensive.

If I were the doctor, I wouldn't be thrilled to get only $477 for a colonoscopy. I would consider that a loss.

Oh well, I suppose they make it up on the volume :LOL:

FYI, here, the doctor could bill $176.35 for a simple colonoscopy. If he or she also removed polyps during the colonoscopy, the bill would be a whopping $271.25 (to the provincial government; no copays).

If I were the doctor, I wouldn't be thrilled to get only $477 for a colonoscopy. I would consider that a loss.

Oh well, I suppose they make it up on the volume :LOL:
Yep. It took him less than five minutes and he moved on to the next patient.
I know my doctor stuck around. I was awake the whole time. A little sleepy, but awake.
Ewwwww. Whatever they gave me (pro... something?) knocked me completely out.

I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the price for that reassurance...
Same here. I think I'd rather have a great anesthesiologist / nurse anesthesiologist and a good doctor than the other way around.

Nords, I appreciate you starting this thread. It got me off my butt (no pun intended) to get checked. I'm sure this thread has helped many other people.

Yep. It took him less than five minutes and he moved on to the next patient.

Just finished an article written by a Dr Douglas Rex-Indiana U School of Medicine. In discussing choosing the "right" doctor for your colonscopy, he encourages patients to ask their docs what percentage of his/her patients does he/she find polpys. While he is an advocate of board certified Gastroenterologists, he says docs that find growths in 20% of patients as your best bet. According to him, if a doc does not hit this ratio, there is a 10 times greater likelihood of cancer.
Another stat for screening prospective docs is asking how long does he take to withdraw the scope (which is when inspection is taking place). If the docs takes less than 6 minutes, he may be missing growths. The author feels that if a doc will not/can not tell you what the ratio is and how it takes to withdraw the scope, you should look for another doc.
(Source Bottom Line Health, May 2011)
Nwsteve

Just had my colonoscopy this morning. All went well and I was awake and able to watch the whole thing. I expected that I would not be able to keep my glasses on but they said that was no problem so I watched.

Everything looked great except for one diverticulosis pocket that he photographed and noted. He said it's not an issue, I should eat a high fiber diet, which I already do.

Being that today was my procedure, my prep day was Father's Day, so my DH and one of our sons took my Dad out to lunch and then went to the Cleveland Indians baseball game, leaving me at home alone. This was just fine with me. I followed the instructions to the letter and it was about as I expected. Had some Jello, a little chicken bouillon and 2 hard boiled eggs. For the 64 ounces of liquid for the Miralax powder I used 32 ounces of Gatorade and 32 ounces of water. I'm not crazy about sweetened drinks so that was better for me than 64 ounces of Gatorade. I was surprised that I could consume all that Miralax and 4 Ducolax tablets and nothing happened for another 3 hours! On Saturday I had to drink the Citrate of Magnesia which was ok. I think I felt worse after that than the Miralax.

My appointment was for 7:30 this morning. We signed in at a local hospital endoscopy center at 7:00am and I was all hooked up and in the procedure room by 7:30. In recovery by 8:10 or so and on the way home about 8:45.

I'm glad I did this. I'm glad I won't have to do it again for many years.

All went well and I was awake and able to watch the whole thing.

So, they let you stay awake? And it wasn't too uncomfortable? I hope I get to do the same. Last time, I had a severe reaction to the drugs they used to knock me out.

Now that I'm thinking back on it, there are things I'm not remembering, so maybe I wasn't awake like I thought I was.

That Versed is some interesting stuff.

So, they let you stay awake? And it wasn't too uncomfortable? I hope I get to do the same. Last time, I had a severe reaction to the drugs they used to knock me out.
Now that I'm thinking back on it, there are things I'm not remembering, so maybe I wasn't awake like I thought I was.
That Versed is some interesting stuff.
The Versed doesn't seem to make you unconscious, but you're certainly not remembering. You might even be saying things during the procedure, but you won't have a hint until you see their facial expressions in the recovery room...

The Versed doesn't seem to make you unconscious, but you're certainly not remembering. You might even be saying things during the procedure, but you won't have a hint until you see their facial expressions in the recovery room...

I had my first colonoscopy 4 years ago and have to go again within the next year. I was very apprehensive, not for the reasons given in the first 216 posts but exactly for what Nords eluded to above. Before my first colonoscopy my sister and brother in law told me of his experience. Just before they started the anesthesia on my BIL, one of the nurses introduced herself as the daughter of a person that had purchased a new vehicle from my BIL's car dealership. My BIL apparently did not have the best opinion of the this nurse's father as a result of their business dealings. While under the anesthesia BIL made comments that were most embarrassing.

My sister and BIL told me that it is not unusual for the patient to be "talkative" about recent thoughts just prior to administering the anesthesia. (it may depend on the particular drug ??) That freaked me out to say the least. I was really worried that I would say something that would be embarrass me or offend the staff.

When I have to go again in the next 12 months guess what is going to cause me the most anxiety.

With my insurance company, Humana, a screening colonoscopy doesn't have a deductible. The anesthesiologist had the deductible / co-pay. I used an endoscopy center in Shreveport instead of a hospital.

Endoscopy Center billed: $920 / Plan paid: $503 / My portion: $0
Anesthesiologist billed: $833 / Plan paid: $82.28 (the rest of my deductible) / My portion: $240

My spouse had a colonscopy done at the local hospital two years ago and the bill was about $2,000. I would much rather go to an endoscopy center than a hospital because it's just easier. And apparently less expensive.

Hospital bill: $1232 / Plan paid: $827 / My portion: $16 (for supplies)
Doctor's bill: $750 / Plan paid:$283 / My portion: $0 (no wonder he didn't talk to me)
PreOffice visit $90 / Plan paid: $0 / My portion: $70 (did not see a doctor, had to go and buy my prep stuff afterward)

I had a colonscopy just a few weeks ago, they nothing found (I told my wife I saw some kind of alien face on the screen), but with a family history of colon cancer I need to go back in 5 years. Other than half a day hanging near the bathroom I thought it anticlimactic.

The Dr. that did my colonoscopy specialized in doing colonoscopies and also the gastric work where they run a scope down your esophagus and look for reflux issues, ulcers, and whatever other stomach problems.

While I was relaxing on the table, all hooked up and ready to go, the nurses and anesthesiologist were chatting about getting ready for Christmas. Boring stuff.

I asked them if they used the same camera for going up the back door that they use when they go down the front door.

The next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room.

Hospital bill: $1232 / Plan paid: $827 / My portion: $16 (for supplies)
Doctor's bill: $750 / Plan paid:$283 / My portion: $0 (no wonder he didn't talk to me)
PreOffice visit $90 / Plan paid: $0 / My portion: $70 (did not see a doctor, had to go and buy my prep stuff afterward)
Where's the anesthesiologist's bill?

Who would have thought we'd spend this much time on this topic? :dance:

Who would have thought we'd spend this much time on this topic? :dance:
I think the thread title grabs your... attention.

The Dr. that did my colonoscopy specialized in doing colonoscopies and also the gastric work where they run a scope down your esophagus and look for reflux issues, ulcers, and whatever other stomach problems.
My father learned the "endoscopy" word last month.

I recently had a colonoscopy at Tripler and would share my experience with the "sedation" Most exams are done with "conscious sedation" and that means a drug to make you forget (Versed) and a painkiller (usually fentanyl). Most do sort of well with this "cocktail", most are awake but think that they were asleep. Unfortunately about 10% have an absolutely horrible experience (Versed doesn't help with pain and the amnesia can be very creepy and long-lasting). The best way to do colonoscopy sedation is with an anesthesia provider and propofol. You are instantly deeply sedated, feel nothng, awake instantly with no hangover. Unfortunately most places insist on the crummy Versed/fentanyl combo because of cost; unless you have a medical history of being unable to tolerate this combo. I told them that I had "hives and difficulty breathing" with Versed during an overseas dental procedure and immediately for real anesthesia for my colonoscopy...propofol. Didn't cost me a dime. I have had 3 colonoscopies and prefer them unsedated, but the Tripler GI doc gently insisted that I let anesthesia give me propofol..........it was o.k. but distressing to watch the other patients babble after getting Versed....what a terrible drug. My wife is a physician and said that it's a "patient control drug" and thta many medical professionals would never sonsent to receive it. So, if you may have an allergy to Versed you might mention this and insist on propofol. My neighbor (a nurse) still has memory loss after her colonoscopy with Versed and that was months ago. check out askapatient.com for versed horror stories. Do your homework before agreeing to the standard sedation for colonoscopy..it's a disaster for fully 10% of patients (10% us huge).

I have to admit that my experience with Propofol for my colonoscopy was ideal. I was out instantly, had wonderful dreams while on it, and awakened feeling refreshed and happy that it was all over.

I never asked beforehand what anesthesia I would be getting. Afterwards I thought it was a little scary that I had had propofol because of the Michael Jackson connection, although I did have an anesthetist looking after me which is more than he had.

I have never had Versed but it sounds less than ideal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom