Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
After my total hip replacement I was told not to take Ibuprofen for the first 6 weeks because it can slow the process of the bone attaching itself to the implant. I was instead prescribed Celebrex. I don't know if that is common practice. I agree that later in recovery Ibuprofen is better than Acetaminophen for pain relief. At least for me it is, I have heard others say the opposite though.
Similar story here - not a hip, but when I broke my wrist in 2011 and had a metal plate implanted, they told me not to take ibuprofen for the same reason.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I think one night in the hospital is SOP these days unless something bad comes up. I went home with a drainage thing hooked up, and a pain med ball. Both were removed at home. I had tremendous pain the first day home, until the PA told me one 5mg oxycodone pill was the minimum dosage and that I could go as high as three pills if needed to beat the pain down.
It must be the case. I had (a different) major surgery last year, and they never "admitted" me to the main hospital. The surgery was performed in the "ambulatory care center" attached to the hospital campus, and I was on-site for literally 23 hours. Something to do with insurance technicalities; if you were there under 24 hours it was not considered an admission. I also went home with multiple drainage contraptions. Interesting that you had them removed at home. I had to return to the hospital three times to have each one removed separately. Fortunately it's only a 20 minute drive.

Back in 2005 when I had major surgery I stayed in the hospital for five days. I think hospitals may have wised up over the years, and realized that all things being equal, home is the best place for patients to recover after surgeries.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #363
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on a successful surgery. Glad everything went well!
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today at the hospital I walked 150 feet twice for PT, and I was cleared to come home (and did so this afternoon). The ride home was pretty painful (due to unexpected problems adjusting the passenger seat), but we are home now and I am happily icing my knee and enjoying my Dream Home.

After watching TV over here for a while, F just left to go pick up my two prescriptions; hydrocodone/acetaminophen for pain, and baby aspirin as a blood thinner. No oxy, although the surgeon said I could call him if the pain meds did not suffice. We shall see!
It seems to me your progress is very impressive! I have been checking my cell phone for your thread to see how you have been doing.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #365
Moderator Emeritus

Finally had a good night's sleep here in my recliner. I haven't slept more than a few minutes here or there for probably a week, so this is really helping. Although last night after getting home I either couldn't (or didn't want to) walk at all, this morning after finally having a chance to rest, I got up, walked to the bathroom, and on the way back to my recliner circled through the kitchen and picked up a cup of coffee to take back to my recliner. Then after coffee I went back to the kitchen and got more frozen water bottles and ice for my ice machine, hooked it up, and I am icing now.

PT is coming sometime this afternoon, although they will not say when. Home Health just called and wanted to come over this morning just for me to sign some papers, although they would not say when either, and I told them NO. I just started icing and need a couple of waking hours to myself without having to disconnect the ice machine and race to the door.

Home Health also said a second Home Health person would be coming over but would not say when either. I think three visits in one day is enough and if they won't specify the time, at least asking for them all to be in the afternoon is not too much to ask.

Feeling good so far other than not wanting all these people to just bop in and out of my house unexpectedly like this, for the flimsiest of reasons. They seem to think they have a right. Nope! I am no kid any more and somehow through the years I learned how to say "NO". If they don't like it they can go in a corner and sulk (or make an appointment to come when it is convenient to me).

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #366
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
That is what I would consider the minimum proper pain management for at least the first 2 weeks. I am concerned we will be getting reports of W2R having excessive pain with just Vicodin as the primary pain reliever.
You may be right! We'll see, but right now I can report that so far, so good. After yesterday's pain due to riding home, which seemed pretty bad from my point of view, (9 on a scale of 1-10? who knows), I took a hydrocodone with Acetominophen and much to my surprise it worked. I can take either one or two, but one was enough. Then took another one at bedtime and slept like a baby all night. Ahhhh!!! At last. I needed that sleep.

This morning I am not in much pain, less than 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 if I am sitting, more when I am walking of course. Despite that I took another hydrocodone with acetominophen just now, more as a preventative and to stay ahead of the pain, than anything. Also I took a baby aspirin which was prescribed as a blood thinner. PT is coming over this afternoon and I am dreading that but we'll see.

My surgeon said that he injected some pain meds into my knee when I was under general anesthesia, and that when they wear off I will have more pain to deal with. Apparently that should have already happened, or if not will be no later than sometime today. He said to call him if I need more pain meds than what are prescribed.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #367
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Feeling good so far other than not wanting all these people to just bop in and out of my house unexpectedly like this, for the flimsiest of reasons. They seem to think they have a right. Nope! I am no kid any more and somehow through the years I learned how to say "NO". If they don't like it they can go in a corner and sulk (or make an appointment to come when it is convenient to me).
Happy to hear you are on the mend!

Why did your quote above make me think of this...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #368
Moderator Emeritus

REWahoo, yeah really! That's my attitude in a nutshell. They should go away and leave me alone to ice and rest a bit. No wonder people get constipated after surgery; they are never left alone for a second to take care of that.

I suppose all these people think that the fact that I got a good night's sleep is horrible and that they screwed up by allowing me that much free time.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #369
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
I'm surprised the Dr proscribed acetaminophen with the hydrocodone. Ibuprofen or naproxen sodium would be better than acetaminophen, in my experience, especially regarding dealing with inflammation.
Now that I don't need the oxycodone, I am taking a combo of acetaminophen/ibuprofen when I need the meds. Alas, needing the pain meds is occurring somewhat more often that I thought. Yesterday was a lousy day in terms of knee swelling, and soreness throughout the joint. I believe that is my fault for overdoing the new PT exercises and adding my own stationary biking on top of them. Very foolish of me.

Ice and meds today, all day. To heck with bragging rights about a near miraculous recovery.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #370
Give me a forum ...

The one is probably a home health nurse to check on the incision and make sure you do not have a fever .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #371
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now that I don't need the oxycodone, I am taking a combo of acetaminophen/ibuprofen when I need the meds. Alas, needing the pain meds is occurring somewhat more often that I thought. Yesterday was a lousy day in terms of knee swelling and soreness throughout the joint. Ice and meds today, all day. To heck with bragging rights about a near miraculous recovery.
Hey, if ice and meds are enough, then I'd say you are doing really well after only a few weeks, and definitely still have bragging rights. I may be pretty jubilant about my lack of pain right at this moment, but remember I probably still have some pain killing going on from that injection the surgeon gave me while I was under general anesthesia. Please don't compare and feel yucky about it, because I think that for any two TKR patients, the surgeries, surgeons, and knees are probably all very different and not comparable. I may be in excruciating pain tomorrow; who knows? I think you, or someone, said it takes at least six months or a year to completely recover IIRC.

Just walked to the bathroom and back for the 2nd time today! woo-hoo! And dropped off my trash in the kitchen wastebasket on the way.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #372
Full time employment: Posting here.

Best wishes for a great recovery time, W2R. You have prepared yourself and your home very well. Do stay ahead of the pain and not be worried about taking the narcotics. On a short term basis, they are not a problem. Taking them when you don't need them, now that's a problem and something I know you would not do!
Keep us updated on your PT and how you are getting along.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #373
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The one is probably a home health nurse to check on the incision and make sure you do not have a fever .
Thanks! I guess that is the second Home Health visit today. I am about 150% sure I have no fever but I know they need to check.

The Home Health person who called, specifically said that her own visit was only to sign papers and check my meds, when she was trying to convince me that she could just bop in any time this morning unannounced and that F didn't need to be there (he is a night owl and set his alarm for just 15 minutes ago so he is not here yet). I think that is my decision and not hers. A window that consists of any time in the afternoon or evening should be adequate and if she thinks it is not, she can go jump in a lake for all I'm concerned. Yeah, I know I have a major case of "get off my lawn!" right now, as REWahoo suggested.

Due to sticking to my guns, I have been able to ice, take my medicines, post on the forum, and feel better. I think I have recovered quite a bit during just the past hour and I needed this time more than she needed my immediate signature on her paperwork.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
because I think that for any two TKR patients, the surgeries, surgeons, and knees are probably all very different and not comparable.
Congratulations on taking out the trash!

One of the things that has fascinated me are the stories from people who have had two TKRs several years apart. A large amount of these people, perhaps a majority?, report that one was easy as pie, and the other was a long painful process. Often with the same surgeon, same hospital, etc.

Obviously, there are many variables that affect the outcome.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Due to sticking to my guns, I have been able to ice, take my medicines, post on the forum, and feel better. I think I have recovered quite a bit during just the past hour and I needed this time more than she needed my immediate signature on her paperwork.
Most of the people I have met are pretty good folks and care. But, they are up against a medical system that is often impersonal at best. It's good that we patients or a trusted loved one, are involved in our recovery. I can't imagine leaving this only to the judgement of the experts and blindly doing whatever they tell is is best at the moment.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #376
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Congratulations on taking out the trash!
Yeah, it seemed like a big victory to me! OK, it was just a handful of trash but I don't have to ask F to take it to the kitchen for me; I did it myself. Maybe I'm not Sir Edmund Hillary quite yet, but that was a pretty big baby step for me.

Quote:
One of the things that has fascinated me are the stories from people who have had two TKRs several years apart. A large amount of these people, perhaps a majority?, report that one was easy as pie, and the other was a long painful process. Often with the same surgeon, same hospital, etc.

Obviously, there are many variables that affect the outcome.
+1000000 I really think that is SO true. We just don't know what we are facing until we are in the middle of coping with it.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #377
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now that I don't need the oxycodone, I am taking a combo of acetaminophen/ibuprofen when I need the meds. Alas, needing the pain meds is occurring somewhat more often that I thought. Yesterday was a lousy day in terms of knee swelling, and soreness throughout the joint. I believe that is my fault for overdoing the new PT exercises and adding my own stationary biking on top of them. Very foolish of me.

Ice and meds today, all day. To heck with bragging rights about a near miraculous recovery.
I've learned PT is great in moderation. When I've pushed too hard I feel bad things. Last week I managed to get my right shoulder involved, it hasn't been before. They said I was cleared for any activity, ten minutes jogging on a treadmill was a huge mistake. I'll stick with walking for a few more weeks or months.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I've learned PT is great in moderation. When I've pushed too hard I feel bad things. Last week I managed to get my right shoulder involved, it hasn't been before. They said I was cleared for any activity, ten minutes jogging on a treadmill was a huge mistake. I'll stick with walking for a few more weeks or months.
I think you are right. The trick is to find that balance that keeps one moving forward while avoiding needless setbacks to recover from too much stress on the joint. It's a delicate balance, one that I have not mastered yet.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #379
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I think you are right. I really don't care if it takes me 12 weeks or 12 months to get back to being able to hike on the local trails. Just as long as I get there.

The trick is to find that balance that keeps one moving forward while avoiding needless setbacks to recover from too much stress on the joint. It's a delicate balance, one that I have not mastered yet.

I wonder how others are doing their PT?
Old 08-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #380

Quote:

I wonder how others are doing their PT?
I'm 5 weeks post-op today, and have decided to take a PT break. I had surgery on 7/11 and started outpatient PT on 7/15, 3x per week. I found I was coming home REALLY sore, usually nauseated and thoroughly exhausted. Last time PT measured me I was at 115. I'm a high-functioning introvert, so going somewhere three times a week and making chit-chat for an hour each time was mentally exhausting.

I'm now doing all the exercises they printed off for me, daily, at my own pace. I'm riding my indoor and street recumbent bikes, and using my under the desk elliptical peddler. I'm walking the dog, and have returned to chair yoga classes. Monday I plan to return to a regular yoga class and will do what I can. I consider getting down to and up off the floor a major accomplishment.

Honestly right now I'm more concerned about stamina. It's better than it was the first 2 weeks, but I'm still easily overheated and fatigued. My son's out-of-town wedding is September 14, and I'm worried about keeping up. I plan to try.

Keep up the good work knee warriors! We're all on our own path.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote