Yet another knee surgery thread

So honestly this isn't a lot of money is it? Actually it's pretty lowball. Your surgeons bill most likely included pre-op and post-op visits and everything in between.
No, the bill from the surgeon for the surgery was just for that, but the pre-op and post-op appointments were surprisingly inexpensive, almost trivial, probably due to stringent Medicare limits. I included those as part of the "various other stuff" I referred to. Now that I think of it, the bill for my 9/30 post op visit and for my future post op visit in November have not yet come through, but I am sure Medicare will put the same ceiling on what is to be paid for those as well.

All in all, not bad for a top knee surgeon doing this in the best local hospital. I guess it would have cost the same for a lousy surgeon doing it in a horrible hospital so I am glad that I selected (and was guided to) the best care around here.

When my DH has his surgery gone wrong he was in the OR on a by-pass machine for around 8 hours he then spent 3 night and 4 days in the ICU and another 5 nights on a dedicated cardiac ward. He had numerous and plentiful lab work, xrays, meds and 3 therapists. Not to mention a few blood transfusions. After the hospital appealed the initial amount medicare paid, they settle on a grand total of 60K for ALL care given in the hospital. Frankly I don't that's a lot of money considering what all this actually costs the hospital in wages, facilities, and supplies. We did not receive an actual breakdown of the costs from either Medicare or BC, but I imagine the Medicare knockdown was substantial.

This is a world class nationally recognized heart care hospital and frankly if my DH hadn't been there he probably would be here today. I'm not certain how theses places are supposed to improve care and actually make enough money to keep their doors open. Just another sign of things to come in health care I guess...
I am so glad that your DH got such high quality treatment! It's priceless. I agree that costs under Medicare seem very reasonable. Like I said, my knee cost less than a new Corolla and to me it is worth so much more. :)

No, the bill from the surgeon for the surgery was just for that, but the pre-op and post-op appointments were surprisingly inexpensive, almost trivial, probably due to stringent Medicare limits. I included those as part of the "various other stuff" I referred to. Now that I think of it, the bill for my 9/30 post op visit and for my future post op visit in November have not yet come through, but I am sure Medicare will put the same ceiling on what is to be paid for those as well.

All in all, not bad for a top knee surgeon doing this in the best local hospital. I guess it would have cost the same for a lousy surgeon doing it in a horrible hospital so I am glad that I selected (and was guided to) the best care around here.

I am so glad that your DH got such high quality treatment! It's priceless. I agree that costs under Medicare seem very reasonable. Like I said, my knee cost less than a new Corolla and to me it is worth so much more. :)

The surgeon we used didn't bill for any follow up visits, I guess it was allowed for in his surgery fee.

Certain hospitals do get what they call good outcome bumps from Medicare if they exceed certain standards of care and expected results. So perhaps the worst of hospitals might get a little less payout from Medicare. Our hospital was very proactive with customer surveys and even had special employees come to his room several times and ask if we were unhappy or unsatisfied with anything regarding his care and treatment..

, $1121.69 to the surgeon for the surgery itself, and the rest went for various other stuff.

That is pathetic . I can not believe an ortho surgeon only gets that much for a TKR . If that is right I would advise young people to be plumbers or electricians . Less risk and cash payments .

Last edited by a moderator:
, $1121.69 to the surgeon for the surgery itself, and the rest went for various other stuff.

That is pathetic . I can not believe an ortho surgeon only gets that much for a TKR . If that is right I would advise young people to be plumbers or electricians . Less risk and cash payments .

I know! I agree. I'm hoping that there's another bill that just hasn't gone through yet, that would pay him more because that just doesn't seem right.

I have no idea how surgeons are paid but if he gets the entire $1100 then that is a lot. Just do one surgery a day and you are making a lot of money. How could that be considered a bad amount of money for 3 hours of work or even a full days work? Then they get another $200 every time you come in for another 15 minute follow up appointment.

I have no idea how surgeons are paid but if he gets the entire $1100 then that is a lot. Just do one surgery a day and you are making a lot of money. How could that be considered a bad amount of money for 3 hours of work or even a full days work? Then they get another $200 every time you come in for another 15 minute follow up appointment.

That money doesn't all go in their pockets, they have offices to run and staff,paperwork to do and malpractice insurance to pay...

That money doesn't all go in their pockets, they have offices to run and staff,paperwork to do and malpractice insurance to pay...

What about the $8000+ that went to the hospital. Does the surgeon pay the supporting staff or does the hospital pay them. I would think the hospital pays them but I don't know.

What about the $8000+ that went to the hospital. Does the surgeon pay the supporting staff or does the hospital pay them. I would think the hospital pays them but I don't know.

The hospital pays them .

So an Orthopedic surgeon gets $1100 for the procedure but they have a huge over head plus they have most of the liability . A Surgical RN usually gets about $55 or more an hour so for four hours she makes $220 and is covered by hospital insurance and has no overhead .Plus her job ends when the patient leaves the OR .

So an Orthopedic surgeon gets $1100 for the procedure but they have a huge over head plus they have most of the liability . A Surgical RN usually gets about $50 or more an hour so for four hours she makes $200 and is covered by hospital insurance and has no overhead .Plus her job ends when the patient leaves the OR .

I'm puzzled that anyone could think that an 1100 payment for a TKR is enough to compensate for overhead, time and skill and education that the DR has invested in his career.

I'm puzzled that anyone could think that an 1100 payment for a TKR is enough to compensate for overhead, time and skill and education that the DR has invested in his career.

What overhead are you referring to? I thought supplies and support staff are covered by the hospital so what does the surgeon pay for out of that cost other than extra insurance beyond what the hospital pays for?

What overhead are you referring to? I thought supplies and support staff are covered by the hospital so what does the surgeon pay for out of that cost other than extra insurance beyond what the hospital pays for?

Aaron all surgeons have offices they have to pay for. They have clinics they belong to and don't routinely conduct all their business in the hospital. Malpractice insurance is big expense. Perhaps they are part of a big clinic but they have to share the cost of running that too.

Like everything else on this thread, I posted #521 so that people who are thinking of TKR surgery after Medicare would have a rough idea as to what they are getting into.

Could those who are dying to argue class war politics at the drop of a hat, please take it to your own thread elsewhere instead of hijacking this thread? If not I am asking the mods to immediately close and/or delete this thread or all posts after #521.

Like everything else on this thread, I posted #521 so that people who are thinking of TKR surgery after Medicare would have a rough idea as to what they are getting into.

Could those who are dying to argue class war politics at the drop of a hat, please take it to your own thread elsewhere instead of hijacking this thread? If not I am asking the mods to immediately close and/or delete this thread or all posts after #521.
Let's not close the thread, as the discussion on knee replacement is valuable. Plenty of opportunity to discuss medical costs elsewhere.

I'm not even sure how this discussion got sidetracked, there must have been 15 broken quotes. Now fixed ...:)

Back to knee replacement and recovery :greetings10:

Let's not close the thread, as the discussion on knee replacement is valuable. Plenty of opportunity to discuss medical costs elsewhere.

Back to knee replacement and recovery :greetings10:

A wise decision.

Having gone through this surgery, I know how tough the recovery is. (The surgery itself is a breeze, I slept through it. :D) As I have said before I am constantly amazed at the number of people who are shocked that they are not out dancing at 3 weeks, running marathons at 6 weeks and mountain climbing at 3 three months. The hype surrounding this surgery is immense and often misleading.

That said, I would do it again in a heartbeat. 12 weeks from surgery and I am certainly better off, with much less over all pain and more ability to walk and enjoy life again.

In Chuckanut's thread, he said,

I found the 8-9 week mark to be a significant turning point in my ability to function more normally.

I am at 8 weeks and 2 days and starting to hope that I might be getting close to that same turning point. This week I have been disassembling my "recovery nest", and putting some equipment such as the all metal hospital walker, my leg lifter, and my socks assister in a big closet for storage. Really all that I need any more is the icing machine.

My knee is no longer as swollen, and I haven't needed pain medication in almost a month and a half. At last I am sleeping in my bed again, instead of my recliner. I am no longer going to PT, and I don't need to see my surgeon until just before Thanksgiving. I can drive again, too.

However, I still need to build up some muscles in my legs over time in order to walk farther, and I still tire easily. Also I still have some sleep problems but apparently that is not unusual after a TKR.

When I see my surgeon in November, I'll schedule my second knee replacement if it still seems necessary, probably for March or April.

Good to hear! Glad you are continuing to progress well in your recovery :)

Back
Top Bottom