Yet another knee surgery thread

Dr. HFWR I'm not, but as we've discussed in many previous threads, it's difficult to out-exercise a "bad" diet, in this case "bad" being too many calories for a given metabolism and/or activity level. And gimpy knees make being active a bit more difficult...

Still, using some upper body compound lifts will get your heart pumping. I stick to chest presses, lat pulldowns, shoulder presses, and seated rows, rather than isolating stuff, like curls. Your arms will get a good workout doing the compound machines. And the creaky knees get a break. I'd let the PT decide what is appropriate for the knees, both pre-and post-surgery.

As for the diet, I'd start with calculating what calorie level you'd need to maintain your "ideal" weight (how much would you like to weigh?), and try to maintain that level. Low carb might be indicated as well, given the relatively low level of activity from being gimpy...

And I "highly" recommend medicinal marijuana... 😎

Quote: And I "highly" recommend medicinal marijuana... 😎

I don't know...I remember the munchies from the 60's...it would be hard to lose weight! :cool:

W2R, I am sorry to hear about your knee problems; truly, I hope every works well for you.

Reactions: W2R
Believe me, I understand. I think I'm feeling a great deal the same, despite how gruesomely awful the recovery after surgery sounds. It might not be that bad, I suppose, like you said, roll of the dice. My dream house that I bought and moved into 15 months ago is in a wonderfully walkable neighborhood and I could easily walk to Trader Joe's or many other businesses if I have good results from the surgery.

Can't wait to hear what your orthopedic surgeon has to say; I am hoping that maybe it won't be much longer for you. I still have a while to go.

So, scheduled for knee surgery on 12/5 at the Rothman Institute. Overnight hospital stay, evidently the first two weeks are the roughest (and the most use of drugs). Had to wait at least three months since my last cortisone shot.

I'll keep you posted

That's wonderful!

My surgery seems to be on hold for the time being. Can't wait to hear how yours goes! :)

good luck, bclover!

You will ace this & be so happy after you finish rehab! In fact you should probably buy yourself a great purse after this is over .

You will ace this & be so happy after you finish rehab! In fact you should probably buy yourself a great purse after this is over .

:D Thanks Moemg and everyone. Interestingly enough, while I was in the waiting room I was browsing through one of those big glossy fashion magazines, where they have all the expensive designers but I was thinking, "why is every thing designer, so butt ugly". lol

anyhoo, I'm a bit anxious but I got a lot of questions answered and I do have a few people to call who have had knee replacement.

Truthfully I am also relieved. I retired this April and was a bit depressed all summer because every thing I wanted to do had to pass the "knee test". Went to Vegas and realized I was not packing for a vacation, I was picking clothes based on whether or not I'd be able to walk or could I wear a knee brace. I thought about doing a lot of local trips, Washington dc, NYC etc and always had to decide whether or not I would be in pain.

Not how I want to do retirement. enough is enough.

Thanks for the well wishes, first up. pre surgery test. have to go to the Dentist (that was a weird one) cardiologist and general practitioner.

:D Thanks Moemg and everyone. Interestingly enough, while I was in the waiting room I was browsing through one of those big glossy fashion magazines, where they have all the expensive designers but I was thinking, "why is every thing designer, so butt ugly". lol

anyhoo, I'm a bit anxious but I got a lot of questions answered and I do have a few people to call who have had knee replacement.

Truthfully I am also relieved. I retired this April and was a bit depressed all summer because every thing I wanted to do had to pass the "knee test". Went to Vegas and realized I was not packing for a vacation, I was picking clothes based on whether or not I'd be able to walk or could I wear a knee brace. I thought about doing a lot of local trips, Washington dc, NYC etc and always had to decide whether or not I would be in pain.

Not how I want to do retirement. enough is enough.

Thanks for the well wishes, first up. pre surgery test. have to go to the Dentist (that was a weird one) cardiologist and general practitioner.

dentist is to check for active infections in your teeth, mouth as those would have to be cleared up before an elective surgery.

I am 11 days post surgery on my left knee. I had the right one done in June followed by seven weeks of physical therapy. Yes, the first two weeks are the worst, but totally doable. First round I was a week using the walker, then a week using a cane, it's about the same this time. I even drove a little yesterday to see if I could. So starting this afternoon I'll drive myself to pt since it's only about three miles from my home.

We leave the end of December for a another winter in Arizona. I'm looking forward to painfree walking and hiking this year!

That's wonderful!

My surgery seems to be on hold for the time being. Can't wait to hear how yours goes! :)

Are you again able to walk around freely? While was on a waiting list for my hip surgery I fought hard to stay mobile. I finally wound up using some very comfortable and effective crutches. I'll look up the source if you would like it.

ha

Are you again able to walk around freely? While was on a waiting list for my hip surgery I fought hard to stay mobile. I finally wound up using some very comfortable and effective crutches. I'll look up the source if you would like it.

ha

No, I'm a mess. Thanks, but I am using a "rollator" walker which seems to be working all right for me so I think I'll pass on the crutches.

I'll sure be glad when I can announce a surgery date like bclover just did. I'm tired of waiting! ;)

Last edited:
No, I'm a mess. Thanks, but I am using a "rollator" walker which seems to be working all right for me so I think I'll pass on the crutches. Well, unless they are nearly magical. The last time I used crutches was in 1997, and they really hurt under my arms IIRC. At any rate, the walker is helping, as is the Meloxicam (NSAID), but despite both I feel like I'm 110 years old by now. I'm not very good at waiting for surgery to even be scheduled. But I must learn a little patience because my surgeon wants to try some other things first. :rant::peace:

I went to the gym a couple of hours ago and could hardly do anything. But I "gave it the old college try", as the saying goes, and tried not to get depressed at the outcome. Lowest possible weights or levels on everything and mostly arm stuff, and nothing for very long. My mobility problems are ridiculous and worthy of a lovely pity party. Now I'm going to ice my knees.

So if it's that limiting why can't you get on the surgery schedu, are you telling all this to the doctor? A friend of mine needed a hip done badly, but since he was raised to be stoic he would tell the doc "it's not that bad" when in reality it was killing him...pain 24/7...he finally told the doctor "it really hurts".

I am ready to spit venom like a cobra at the next person who trivializes any of my knee problems. Not that you are! Just saying. :LOL:

P.S. -- Why not ask Haha why HE didn't just waltz in and hurry up his doctor while he was struggling to maintain mobility. I don't think that he is any less capable of communicating with his surgeon than you or your friend.

Last edited:
I am ready to spit venom like a cobra at the next person who trivializes any of my knee problems. Not that you are! Just saying. :LOL:

P.S. -- Why not ask Haha why HE didn't just waltz in and hurry up his doctor while he was struggling to maintain mobility. I don't think that he is any less capable of communicating with his surgeon than you or your friend.

Oh no, I was thinking it was the doctor who was stringing you along, I'm just wondering why he keeps making you try more things when you are in such discomfort and pain....is there a timeline he must follow, if so, that's no fun for you while you are waiting.

Oh no, I was thinking it was the doctor who was stringing you along, I'm just wondering why he keeps making you try more things when you are in such discomfort and pain....is there a timeline he must follow, if so, that's no fun for you while you are waiting.

Medicare procedural steps, more than likely.

Unfortunately most times there is a timeline.

I've been at it almost 3 years. I have bad osteoarthritis, probably diagnosed at 50. so my doctor knew from the beginning I was probably going to need replacement, the original goal was to get me to 60 (I'm 56 now) but that ain't happening.

In 2012 I had my first arthroscopic surgery. about 8 week p/t afterwards. pretty good results. pain free for about 2 years

2014 pain became more constant. off and on P/T throughout the year

March of 2015 2nd arthroscopic surgery. p/t throughout the year
2016 advanced knee pain. now diagnosed as bone on bone.
february 3rd Artho surgery along with p/t
May first cortisone shot. relief lasted maybe 6 weeks
July first HA series of shot. relief lasted maybe 4 weeks. waste of time there. no measurable relief
mid August second cortisone shot, relief lasted maybe a month 5 weeks.

in between all these shots, I've been taking celebrex, tylenol, ibuprofen etc (lol not all at once)

and don't misunderstand, I'm never pain free and in the mornings I'm not moving without a crutch.

so my doctor wouldn't even be discussing replacement if I hadn't been through almost 4 full years of treatment.

and the problem is that it's not only walking, I turn in my sleep and maybe hit my knee or bend my knee the wrong way and bingo, now I'm up. so now my knee pain is affecting so much of my life.

I understand the caution but it can be frustrating.

Last edited:
Wow ! In Florida my SO had an x ray and after the orthopedic surgeon saw he was bone on bone he was set up for surgery . No treatment required before surgery .That is awful that you have to wait when you are in so much pain.

I had been following this thread because I enjoy reading W2R's posts (and am rooting for her to have a speedy resolution which brings pain relief and restores her mobility). I reread it with personal interest because on Friday, my own recurring (and unrelenting) knee pain took me to an orthopedist, and the diagnosis (supported by my history and the X rays) was Stage 3 osteoarthritis on the lateral side of my right knee. Surgery will be needed in ten to fifteen years, and the game now is to delay the surgery as long as possible.

Thank you, W2R, for sharing your story--especially about the sudden deterioration. I have made a strong mental note to remember your experience when my own knee surgery window opens up. (With my bunion surgery, I put it off for a good three years more than was good for me.)

If this isn't derailing your thread, while you wait for your approval process to churn through, do you (or others) have any early coping strategies for sparing the affected joint? I will be starting physical therapy to build up the muscles, and am watching my portion sizes so that I, too, can drop a chunk of weight (ten to twenty pounds would be lovely).

Did you (or anyone) use supportive braces/knee sleeves? Were topical analgesics effective? What was the typical "as needed" dosage of oral analgesics? Any long-term consequences from years (decades) of regular ibuprofen intake?

What works to let you sleep through the night? I realized this weekend that my regular 3:00 to 4:00 a.m. waking up and not getting back to sleep is because the Motrin has worn off. (Today, I took another dose, and was able to go back to sleep for a little over an hour, until the alarm to get up and go to work went off at 5:30 a.m.)

Indigo Mule, I am sorry that you are going through this too. I don't think I can be of too much help, myself. I tried knee sleeves (expensive ones, too!) and topical creams and all that stuff, and found that they were not appreciably helpful for me and all they were was a waste of money. I think my pain was too far along for that. But they do help some people so you might as well go through buying all that [-]useless cr$p[/-] stuff and maybe some of it would be of some minimal help for you. Regular icing with gel ice packs (the big ones that are big enough for knees) does feel good and helps me a little bit temporarily.

I have never taken ibuprofen regularly because it gives me stomach problems. I tried Aleve once more for 10 days last June, and had bad stomach problems from it so I had to quit taking it. Right now I am taking a prescription NSAID (Meloxicam) under my orthopedic surgeon's orders and have been doing so for a month or two. It is supposed to be easier on the stomach than Aleve. So far so good, but this time I am careful to take it at meals and drink water with it, and cut back or eliminate coffee and other stomach irritants.

I don't have any trouble sleeping and most nights I sleep soundly for 7-8 hours, which I think is pretty good for an older woman like me. If I don't sleep well one night, I don't get upset but just tell myself that I must not have needed the sleep. Then the next night I usually sleep more.

Last edited:
...my own recurring (and unrelenting) knee pain took me to an orthopedist, and the diagnosis (supported by my history and the X rays) was Stage 3 osteoarthritis on the lateral side of my right knee. ...

Did you (or anyone) use supportive braces/knee sleeves? Were topical analgesics effective? What was the typical "as needed" dosage of oral analgesics? ...

I've walked daily for several years, but right knee pain had been become hard to bear during the walks a few years ago.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the knee. The orthopaedist sent me to physical therapy where I learned exercises I could do at home.

What helped far more than the exercises was to wear an Ace adjustable neoprene knee support bandage (Amazon.com ASIN B005YU8TDG). I put it on in the morning when I get dressed and keep it on until ready for bed at night. While wearing the Ace bandage, I can complete daily walks without any pain at all.

I take 2 non prescription Aleve tablets (220 MG naproxen each) occasionally for shoulder arthritis pain, but avoid taking them for more than 2 days in a row due to possible side effects. The Aleve tablets relieve pain for 12 hours and I found them more effective and longer lasting than ibuprofen.

Good luck Indigo Mule.

Mobic helped a lot (A.mazing). It pretty much took care of the pain until I had the knee replacement. Since then, I have read more about Mobic and not certain it is safe. (I'd take it again if it was prescribed to me. It was that helpful!)

I have had a few ulcers over the last few decades and mentioned it to the MD because I knew it could be a side effect. He was like, If you get an ulcer, quit taking it.
That plan worked well for me. Mobic for 18 months, then TKR.

Like everyone else, i look forward to you getting much-need relief, W2R. TKR was NOT fun, but it sure was/is nice to be free of that unrelenting pain.

I had been following this thread because I enjoy reading W2R's posts (and am rooting for her to have a speedy resolution which brings pain relief and restores her mobility). I reread it with personal interest because on Friday, my own recurring (and unrelenting) knee pain took me to an orthopedist, and the diagnosis (supported by my history and the X rays) was Stage 3 osteoarthritis on the lateral side of my right knee. Surgery will be needed in ten to fifteen years, and the game now is to delay the surgery as long as possible.

If this isn't derailing your thread, while you wait for your approval process to churn through, do you (or others) have any early coping strategies for sparing the affected joint? I will be starting physical therapy to build up the muscles, and am watching my portion sizes so that I, too, can drop a chunk of weight (ten to twenty pounds would be lovely).

Did you (or anyone) use supportive braces/knee sleeves? Were topical analgesics effective? What was the typical "as needed" dosage of oral analgesics? Any long-term consequences from years (decades) of regular ibuprofen intake?

What works to let you sleep through the night? I realized this weekend that my regular 3:00 to 4:00 a.m. waking up and not getting back to sleep is because the Motrin has worn off. (Today, I took another dose, and was able to go back to sleep for a little over an hour, until the alarm to get up and go to work went off at 5:30 a.m.)

So, the sleep thing was another factor for me deciding to go ahead with the surgery. It's been a while since I've had a complete 7-8 hours sleep because the pain in my knee would wake me up.

I am religious about icing my knee before bed time, that definitely help. Unfortunately I live in a 3 story townhome so there are stairs, lol. so I use a cane in the house.

I haven't had any issues taking OTC nsaids. some days are better than others, for example yesterday I did not have take anything. one really bad days I'll pop a celebrex.

I too wear an ace adjustable brace every day and I try to hit the gym at least 3X's a week. stretching is a must for me.

topical stuff was a waste of money for me.

I have found cycling (spinning is the current name, I believe) to help my knee immensely. When I use my bicycle or stationary bike at least 3x time a week , the knee problems go away. No daily aches, no pain at night, I can usually forget I have knee issues unless I REALLY stress the knee.

knee surgery, post op update

Well, had my total knee replacement of my left knee on Monday. Two days stay in the hospital and now I'm home.

First day was vicious. Whew anesthesia wore off and pain was seriously at 10.
I'm on a drug cocktail. Oxycodone and tramadol for pain. Baby aspirin to prevent blood clots. Metaxalone and Gabapentin for muscle relaxation.

They got me up Monday after surgery to walk and Tuesday for physical therapy.

For the next two weeks I'm doing p/t at home with a app called forced therapeutics. Supposedly better for patients at the beginning, lol Methinks it's cheaper for the insurance companies

Because I live in a 3 story townhomes, we've moved stuff around so I can avoid stairs. Sleeping on the living room couch, on the same floor as kitchen and small bath

Feel free to ask questions

Last edited:
Well, had my total knee replacement of my left knee on Monday. Two days stay in the hospital and now I'm home.

First day was vicious. Whew anesthesia wore off and pain was seriously at 10.
I'm on a drug cocktail. Oxycodone and tramadol for pain. Baby aspirin to prevent blood clots. Metaxalone and Gabapentin for muscle relaxation.

They got me up Monday after surgery to walk and Tuesday for physical therapy.

For the next two weeks I'm doing p/t at home with a app called forced therapeutics. Supposedly better for patients at the beginning, lol Methinks it's cheaper for the insurance companies

Because I live in a 3 story townhomes, we've moved stuff around so I can avoid stairs. Sleeping on the living room couch, on the same floor as kitchen and small bath

Feel free to ask questions

Two days in hospital & that many drugs seems severe. Is that typical or, did you have a complicated surgery/complications during surgery?

Back
Top Bottom