Yet another knee surgery thread

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but the meloxicam can fool you into thinking you are not feeling as much pain as you would without it. I had to remind myself not to strain my injured shoulder at the gym because the meloxicam made it feel like it was healed, when it wasn't.

But does it really matter? My thinking is that if my knees are going to be replaced, so what if they are trashed more than they are now? Out with the old, in with the new. :)

Well, you're probably right. I will find out tomorrow how much pain results from doing this and I may find that this is not a good idea.

I just had my annual physical today, and the GP said I need to see the Ortho and he expects that my right knee will get steroids the first visit, then the Synvisc shots after that. Surgery is not expected within the next 2-3 years, but after that, unless I lose 50+ pounds . . .:nonono:

Good luck with the knees, they are so much better now that when my Father first looked at getting it done in the early 80's, and better still than when he had it don in the mid 90's.

I am with MamaDogMamaCat. I would definitely go with the PT before surgery. At a minimum it will help with pain relief now and after surgery. At a maximum, it may prevent or delay surgery. Surgeons business is cutting and that is all they know. I personally would do everything possible to keep my own parts, before adding new ones.

I remember reading a study that gave patients PT before knee surgery. (not sure if it was replacement or not). After PT, they no longer needed the surgery. The PT was just as effective.

My knees have been complaining lately and I know it is lack of knee focused exercise and weight.

I also have a friend that had 4 surgeries on 1 knee. 1st botched, 2nd (same surgeon) to fix, 3rd - new surgeon, 4th was with the 2nd surgeon to refine the end result that was sub-optimal...

Last edited:
W2R, for some bright news, a 60+ year old lady had one knee replaced at a time. She is a figure skater. After the first one she joking only went around in cricles saying with one leg shorter it was the best she could do. It was a joke. But she was a bit limited with one good and one bad one.

Some six month later had the other one done s well, she still went around in circles as joke. In fact she could skate a lot better afterwards.

The difference in leg length after the first knee surgery was the one thing that drove my SO nuts . He had to have two lifts in his shoe and when he was walking around the house without shoes he limped and it started to bother his hips .

I hate to be the THORN, but I have had my right knee totally done 5 times since 12-28-2008. It is in need of another replacement but I am unable to convince surgeon to try again. Good luck and mine is probably that 1% that does not work.

I hate to be the THORN, but I have had my right knee totally done 5 times since 12-28-2008. It is in need of another replacement but I am unable to convince surgeon to try again. Good luck and mine is probably that 1% that does not work.
Welcome to the Early Retirement Forum, retbarber!

Wow, I'm so sorry you had such bad results with your knee. That certainly does sound like the worst possibility, doesn't it. On the other hand, if one can hardly walk or cannot walk due to bad knees, whether it's before any surgeries (pretty much my situation) or after 5 surgeries, I suppose it's six of one or half a dozen of the other. :(

So I'm in the same predicament and personally can't wait to have surgery. I have osteoarthritis couple with playing basketball in H.S. and I'm bone to bone. some days are better than others and I've been managing fairly well with ice packs and otc pain meds.

waking up is a %$%tch though. I have to use a cane for about 5 minutes to get the knees working and some times the pain wakes me up.

I had the syvnisc shots in July, didn't put a dent in the pain. I also had cortisone shots which actually worked but only for about 3-4 weeks. I'm back to the orthopedic surgeon in about 2 weeks and we'll move on from there.

I use to dread the surgery but seriously who wants to live with daily pain?

I'm not worried about the p/t as prior to these surgeries I had arthroscopic knee surgery so I'm at least familiar with the p/t grind

Last edited:
I had a scope on my left knee in 2004, Dr said then I was about 5-10 years from a knee replacement. Since then the other knee began giving me problems. The injections helped a couple years with the left, they never helped the right knee. I'm a 64 yo female, had the left knee replaced June 16, had 7 weeks of PT. I go in Oct 18 to have the right knee done. Gotta get recovered so we can leave the end of December for wintering in Arizona.

I had a painting and wallpapering business for about 10 years, I'm guessing climbing a ladder and crawling around the floors didn't help my knees any.

Bclover, I am so sorry to read that you are going through this too. Sounds like you are further along than I am, since I have not had the Synvisc shots yet.

Although surgery scares me, as does the recovery period, it would (will?) be wonderful to be able to do more. So, I am eager to "get this show on the road" whether that involves surgery or whatever.

Two more weeks until my Synvisc shots. :blink: And in my case, 18.8 more pounds to lose before surgery, which is doable.

Calico1597, how exciting to have one knee finished already. Soon you will be done with all of this and hopefully walking more easily.

Last edited:
Poor man. Did it make him taller or shorter? And did things even out after the second knee?

The difference in leg length after the first knee surgery was the one thing that drove my SO nuts . He had to have two lifts in his shoe and when he was walking around the house without shoes he limped and it started to bother his hips .

Poor man. Did it make him taller or shorter? And did things even out after the second knee?

It made him a little taller and the second surgery evened out the legs . This is pretty common with total knee surgery . He is so glad He had the surgery and was back to better than normal in no time.

Went to Home Depot today. :D

Thanks to my surgeon I now have a handicapped hangtag, so I parked in a handicapped spot. Didn't feel a bit guilty about it either, because I can hardly walk. I got out the walker that I have recently started using to lessen the pain, and with Frank by my side, I slowly made my way inside the store. The Meloxicam NSAID he prescribed for me helped too. I took several breaks to sit on the seat on my walker, as needed.

Anyway, my mobility problems are not fixed, by any means, but I feel very happy to be able to handle something like this once again. :dance:

Last edited:
Good you managed to get out, get some sun and fresh air, see other living beings. Limited mobility and being stuck at home must drive you crazy.

Good you managed to get out, get some sun and fresh air, see other living beings. Limited mobility and being stuck at home must drive you crazy.

Thanks. Yes, it does drive me nuts. Even though I have always been fairly sedentary, I have always had the option of doing things before and limited mobility is very difficult to accept.

Today was a wonderful day to get out, also. Weather here in October is the best of the year - - sunny, low humidity (unusual in New Orleans), and relatively cool after such a hot summer. I really enjoyed doing this.

W2R , Have you tried aspercreme on your knees ? My Mother who had knee arthritis always used it and it gave her some relief .

W2R , Have you tried aspercreme on your knees ? My Mother who had knee arthritis always used it and it gave her some relief .
No I haven't, and thanks for the idea! I'll ask my orthopedic surgeon about it when I see him soon. So far the Meloxicam has done wonders for me but nothing wrong with more pain relief, for sure!! I am also hoping that the Synvisc shots that he is giving me at this next appointment help.

Part of the problem for me now is that I am weak from not being able to do much, and I need to build my muscles back without overdoing. I guess that is a fine line. I'm going to ask him if he thinks some PT is in order. I know that if/when I have surgery, I'll have a lot of PT afterwards and it would probably help if I was in better shape going into the surgery.

Last edited:
I lost some weight to help my arthritic feet and then my knee started to hurt. Go figure. Just timing though. I have been able to use an exercise bike with light resistance throughout. It's a pretty boring way to exercise, but the magical iPad helps a whole lot.

The Synvisc (it was really a different product, but the same idea) has helped me a lot. It isn't perfect, by any means, but it is a substantial improvement. I'm 57 and would like to buy a few more years before replacing the damn thing. We just got back from three weeks in Europe and my knee did really well, but we were in nice, flat Barcelona. Downhills are still a problem though, even with the improvement.

Sorry that you are facing this problem too, AllDone. I can sure understand why you would like to delay the surgery if possible.

After reading about it online, the recovery time after the surgery until one resumes normal life sounds pretty long and gruesome. So I don't want to go through that unless it is necessary. I'll need my surgeon's guidance on this. I am 68 so I am not eager to wait any longer if it needs to be done.

I still don't see how I could possibly lead a normal life the way things are, but I haven't had the Synvisc shots yet so maybe they will help. I am skeptical.

Last edited:
Sorry that you are facing this problem too, AllDone. I can sure understand why you would like to delay the surgery if possible.

After reading about it online, the recovery time after the surgery until one resumes normal life sounds pretty long and gruesome. So I don't want to go through that unless it is necessary. I'll need my surgeon's guidance on this. I am 68 so I am not eager to wait any longer if it needs to be done.

I still don't see how I could possibly lead a normal life the way things are, but I haven't had the Synvisc shots yet so maybe they will help. I am skeptical.

You know what's weird WR, I'm now at a point where I'm ready for the surgery. I'm simply tired of living with the pain. After planning and dreaming about moving to the middle of the city, to be able to walk to restaurants, theaters etc and now can't because of chronic pain is just unacceptable. I'll roll my dice with surgery

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

You know what's weird WR, I'm now at a point where I'm ready for the surgery. I'm simply tired of living with the pain. After planning and dreaming about moving to the middle of the city, to be able to walk to restaurants, theaters etc and now can't because of chronic pain is just unacceptable. I'll roll my dice with surgery
Believe me, I understand. I think I'm feeling a great deal the same, despite how gruesomely awful the recovery after surgery sounds. It might not be that bad, I suppose, like you said, roll of the dice. My dream house that I bought and moved into 15 months ago is in a wonderfully walkable neighborhood and I could easily walk to Trader Joe's or many other businesses if I have good results from the surgery.

Can't wait to hear what your orthopedic surgeon has to say; I am hoping that maybe it won't be much longer for you. I still have a while to go.

Last edited:
I'm reading that there are new techniques being developed that grow cartilage from the patient's own cells and deposited where there is damage. Does anybody have experience with that?

If this works, it will make obsolete doctors that have spent decades perfecting their knee replacement skills.

I'm reading that there are new techniques being developed that grow cartilage from the patient's own cells and deposited where there is damage. Does anybody have experience with that?

If this works, it will make obsolete doctors that have spent decades perfecting their knee replacement skills.
Super! That sounds great.

I don't know anything about it, and don't know anyone who has had that done here instead of knee replacement surgery. It would be great to not have to go through the surgical recovery [-]torture[/-] process. The new cartilage would have to be pretty tough and not subject to wear away easily, because if/when I end up with good knees I plan to use them quite a bit (walking lots more, exercising, and so on). I am eager to get on with life.

It does sound super for those who can wait until it is locally available, and until they find out how this works for patients over time. Personally I think I'll just go ahead and get my knees replaced if the Synvisc shots don't help me enough.

For your reading pleasure:

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12891-016-1085-9

Bottom line: this is promising, but in the research stage right now.

Even if it proves to be safe and useful, I doubt if it will be a panacea. Orthopedic surgeons need not worry about their job security just yet.

For your reading pleasure:

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12891-016-1085-9

Bottom line: this is promising, but in the research stage right now.

Even if it proves to be safe and useful, I doubt if it will be a panacea. Orthopedic surgeons need not worry about their job security just yet.

Thank you.

UPJ obstruction used to require major surgery. Now it's repaired with a simple laser treatment, without surgery. Urologists didn't lose their job, but profitability for assembly-line type of medical groups plummeted.

Back
Top Bottom