Fisher Investments

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, just gimmie the person who'll make me the most money legally
I've dealt with a lot of creeps who are good at what they do, but as long as what they're doing is legal, it works for me.

I suppose you are either in network, or out of it. So long as you're in network, everything is ok.

Where I work now I see a continuation of behavior from megacorp. Officially, and in policy, the behavior is condemned, with zero tolerance policy. But it continues. For those in the network, it's ok to demean a fellow "employee owner."

The long challenge for the business is to attract and keep younger employees who are not in the network. Young women and men consistently leave this business, as I've observed over 4 years. There is an environment that is not acceptable to recent college grads starting their careers.

Now, Ken, is in a tight spot. What he thought was that those paying a high fee for a conference were "in network" and his crude thoughts were ok. Ken didn't have an evil thought planted in his brain at that moment. It was something he has played before, while in network. He felt safe. Welcome to the world, Ken!

I'm a woman in finance. I'm pretty hard to offend, (been in finance awhile- not the first time I have heard this sort of thing) but this incident would have done it. I know lots of tough-as-nails women. Most of them would have been offended, but few would make an issue of it. Keeping your job is easier if you don't.

The men that were offended would also likely not make an issue of this due
to possible retribution/loss of stature among those not offended.

Semantics... Would you rather have filet mignon or first class piece of dead cow?

Had he said the personal dynamics of obtaining a new client is much like the interactive dance of seducing a lover. Trying to see how we mutually enhance each other, and if we are compatible... He might have gotten an honorary literature degree.

But then again he is a white male and more that a bit boastful. Time to caster...errr castigate him.

So, is anyone that wasn’t there actually offended? I’m mean actually OFFENDED. sure, his comment was rude, insensitive, any number of things, but I just don’t see how a person so far removed for the actual incident, as I assume most, if not all, on this forum are, can honestly be offended.

Maybe I need to better understand the level of being upset it takes to be offended, but I think it has, or should have, a very high bar. In this case, I think the guy said something he should not have. It may even cause me to think about whether I would ever want to invest with him, but I doubt it because I don’t recall me investigating the CEO of Fidelity before I invested with them. But am I offended? No. I think having feelings hurt has become an unfortunate pastime of our time. Call the guy a jerk and move on.

Would you say the same if he'd made similar comments about people who were black or Jewish?
I'm not sure what your point is. Of course Michigan (and any politicians) would drop a vendor for those sins against political correctness.

No insult intended, but next time you read about the terrible trend towards polarization in the US, spend a brief moment looking in the mirror.

I am in the group here that does not think that Fisher's stupidity is a world-shaking event. I also do not screen my friends and vendors using criteria that are irrelevant to the relationship.

So, is anyone that wasn’t there actually offended? I’m mean actually OFFENDED. sure, his comment was rude, insensitive, any number of things, but I just don’t see how a person so far removed for the actual incident, as I assume most, if not all, on this forum are, can honestly be offended.

Maybe I need to better understand the level of being upset it takes to be offended, but I think it has, or should have, a very high bar. In this case, I think the guy said something he should not have. It may even cause me to think about whether I would ever want to invest with him, but I doubt it because I don’t recall me investigating the CEO of Fidelity before I invested with them. But am I offended? No. I think having feelings hurt has become an unfortunate pastime of our time. Call the guy a jerk and move on.

Yes he is a jerk. Wouldn't put a dime into Fisher anyways.
However working in the Wall Street space and being around many male traders, this demeaning type conversations about women were frequent and just plain wrong.

and you got all that from seeing his crude comment? or do you have other information?

What I got out of it was his comparisons made it clear that getting clients onboard was analogous to a pick up game and sex. Basically it means HE is not looking out for MY interests.

Agree. My first question is always " what's it got to do with me?". I try to not get worked up by things that have no impact on me

What I got out of it was his comparisons made it clear that getting clients onboard was analogous to a pick up game and sex. Basically it means HE is not looking out for MY interests.

Didn't we already know that?

-ERD50

Ask the sales guy to show you how Fisher performed in the ‘08-‘09 bear market (supposedly Fisher’s forte). See how long it takes him to change the subject.

The curse of being human is that good, sensitive, thoughtful people can say and do hurtful, insensitive things from time to time. I strive to be a good person and most people would say that I am but I've said and done some incredibly stupid, insensitive things in my lifetime; haven't we all been there at some point in our lives?

The curse of our society today is that we're prone, even eager, to wiping out 35 years of good deeds, good works and thoughtfulness --even destroy a career-- of genuinely good people because of one moment of human stupidity, thoughtlessness or simple poor phrasing. It reminds me of 2nd grade where there was always one kid who'd run up to teacher and say "Jimmy said bad word, teacher" and the whole class would chorus with "unnh, unnhh, shame on you!!" Seems that everyone in our society today is just itching to be offended.

C'mon, we've all done and said stupid, insensitive, hurtful things....I'm guilty of some whoppers. I don't know anything about the man but I won't cast the first stone.

In the case of Kate Smith, 53 years were wiped away - https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/21/us/philadelphia-flyers-kate-smith-statue/index.html(the flyers removed her statue and no longer play her God bless America, as did the New York Yankees). She passed in 1986, and was punished this year for her songs she sang in 1931 and 1933.

In the case of Kate Smith, 53 years were wiped away - https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/21/us/philadelphia-flyers-kate-smith-statue/index.html(the flyers removed her statue and no longer play her God bless America, as did the New York Yankees). She passed in 1986, and was punished this year for her songs she sang in 1931 and 1933.

No crime was committed, yet she is chastised.

And the Cities and the Feds tell me as a landlord that I cannot hold a person's criminal record against them forever on a rental application....

It’s really sad. Seems like there is no longer any limit to how far one can go back and look for an issue with a person, but worst of all is that no context to the time or the persons behavior since that time is given.

Yes he is a jerk. Wouldn't put a dime into Fisher anyways.
However working in the Wall Street space and being around many male traders, this demeaning type conversations about women were frequent and just plain wrong.

This. And it’s about time people get called on it. As a female in finance, it’s par for the course, but it doesn’t make it right and only serves to further marginalize women in the industry.

It’s interesting what is shut down on this forum and what is not. As a women, the misogyny I’ve seen here on a regular basis from several posters is very upsetting and is never addressed. But boys will be boys—Fisher is just another example. And who cares what’s said as long as the delicate ears of women aren’t there to hear it.

Ken fisher’s behavior is disgusting and good that he’s being called out on it. Times have changed and whether you like it or not, it’s not the 1960s or even the 1980s and it’s not ok. We can do better.

This. And it’s about time people get called on it. As a female in finance, it’s par for the course, but it doesn’t make it right and only serves to further marginalize women in the industry.

It’s interesting what is shut down on this forum and what is not. As a women, the misogyny I’ve seen here on a regular basis from several posters is very upsetting and is never addressed. But boys will be boys—Fisher is just another example. And who cares what’s said as long as the delicate ears of women aren’t there to hear it.

Ken fisher’s behavior is disgusting and good that he’s being called out on it. Times have changed and whether you like it or not, it’s not the 1960s or even the 1980s and it’s not ok. We can do better.

+1

+3

+4

Fisher initially said he was surprised that people found his remarks offensive. But two days after the conference, facing a barrage of criticism, he issued an apology.

“Some of the words and phrases I used during a recent conference to make certain points were clearly wrong and I shouldn’t have made them,” Fisher said in a statement Thursday. “I realize this kind of language has no place in our company or industry. I sincerely apologize.”
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fisher-faces-backlash-vulgar-comments-172104497.html

OK. You're upset and justifiably so. Got it.

But ... what do you want to happen? You mention the forum. Are there posts in this thread that should be censored? Posts in other threads? Which posts?

Are there other ideas, is there other speech, that also offends you and should be censored?

Free speech can mean offensive speech. https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/rights-protesters/protecting-outrageous-offensive-speech

Calling out bad behavior is not the same as censorship. Acting on your beliefs does not preclude another persons free speech. Social norms are not always the same as laws or forum rules. There are reasons that yelling fire in a crowded theater is illegal just like there are reasons there are mods on this site.

Rules and laws as well as social norms change over time. History (or the vibrancy of this site) seems to be the final arbiters of which position on a given topic is ‘correct’.

(mod hat on)

Free speech is one thing, but this is a community, one in which we value courtesy and friendly interactions between members. When disagreeing, it shouldn't be hard to avoid being disagreeable...

When any member wants to report posts they do so by notifying the moderators - there is a button to do so on every post. The moderator team can and will remove content that does not align with the TOS and/or the community rules.

From the Forum Terms of Service:
About the First Amendment, censorship and your "right to free speech": You do indeed have a right to free speech. However this forum is privately owned and requires members to abide by our guidelines and by the decisions of our moderators. If you cannot accept these guidelines we encourage you to contact one of the many good web hosting companies out there and exercise that right to your heart's content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom