Fisher Investments

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. You're upset and justifiably so. Got it.

But ... what do you want to happen? You mention the forum. Are there posts in this thread that should be censored? Posts in other threads? Which posts?

]

We're fairly anonymous here so repercussions should not be concern. I would sincerely like to know if/when and which posts folks here find offensive. If not cencored, at least to make people more sensitive. IIRC there is also a "report" button for posts that are out of line.

Time for a xkcd graphic

Public service announcement on "Right to Free speech" illustrated by xkcd graphic:

free_speech.png

(mod hat on)

Free speech is one thing, but this is a community, one in which we value courtesy and friendly interactions between members. When disagreeing, it shouldn't be hard to avoid being disagreeable...

When any member wants to report posts they do so by notifying the moderators - there is a button to do so on every post. The moderator team can and will remove content that does not align with the TOS and/or the community rules.

From the Forum Terms of Service:
About the First Amendment, censorship and your "right to free speech": You do indeed have a right to free speech. However this forum is privately owned and requires members to abide by our guidelines and by the decisions of our moderators. If you cannot accept these guidelines we encourage you to contact one of the many good web hosting companies out there and exercise that right to your heart's content.
@Aerides, I'm not sure to whom your post is directed.

My question to @tb001 was triggered by her comment: "It’s interesting what is shut down on this forum and what is not." This seems to imply censorship and I'm curious to know what she would censor.

Re free speech & the forum, at the bottom only the federal government is constrained: "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech." Literally read, it's actually a lot narrower than its current interpretation but you are certainly correct that the forum owners are free to permit or prohibit as they like. I really wasn't intending to get into that territory with my question.

IIRC there is also a "report" button for posts that are out of line.

Yup. It’s this button, and we all have it. Using it brings the post to the attention of the moderator team, and the user can share the reason for reporting the post.

Attachments

• 83AE51D0-538A-4DC8-A8D4-E2AB1537F78C.gif
    83AE51D0-538A-4DC8-A8D4-E2AB1537F78C.gif
    1,014 bytes · Views: 153
Last edited:
Public service announcement on "Right to Free speech" illustrated by xkcd graphic:...

I love it... while someone may have the right to say it we also have the right to not listen and ignore it. BTW, I haven't been following whatever the current controversy is so I'm saying that just generally.

If it gets real bad in addition to reporting offensive posts you can also put the poster on ignore.

Yup. It’s this button, and we all have it. Using it brings the post to the attention of the moderator team, and the user can share the reason for reporting the post.

And, just to clarify, the moderators do not read every post. It is simply not possible to do it. So the fact that a post you find offensive exists on this forum does not mean the moderators have somehow "blessed it". As others have said, if there is a problem, report it. We may decide it doesn't constitute such a violation of the forum rules that it requires deletion, and you may disagree with that determination, but we can't do anything at all if we don't know about it.

If a poster constantly gives off a vibe you find intolerable, for any reason, please feel free to employ the ignore user function. It will make your life better.

Last edited:
Pardon my candor as it's post wine. I've seen several threads shut down when I wasn't personally offended- and didn't understand the problem with the discussion. (I am aware that the mods remove offensive posts. But the remaining threads didn't seem offensive to me). I get why tb001 is upset- she's IN it. Me too.

We work in this industry where a lot of guys think it's okay treat women like objects and (like Ken Fisher) conquests instead of people. And depending on how much money they make for the company they're untouchable. One of the perps involved in the Smith Barney "boom boom room" case worked there for another 23 years. HR knew all about him- he wasn't allowed a female assistant.

So from an insider perspective I can tell you that compliance is an attitude. People who consider themselves above the rules, consider themselves above all rules. The same people who harass women also forge signatures and lie about investments. Ken Fisher just showed his character- consider yourself warned.

The brokerage industry didn't change that much after the Smith Barney debacle, they just got better at covering it up. Financial companies don't care till it hurts their bottom line. Kudos to that University who pulled their account. And to every person who does. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Pardon my candor as it's post wine. I've seen several threads shut down when I wasn't personally offended- and didn't understand the problem with the discussion. (I am aware that the mods remove offensive posts. But the remaining threads didn't seem offensive to me). I get why tb001 is upset- she's IN it. Me too.

We work in this industry where a lot of guys think it's okay treat women like objects and (like Ken Fischer) conquests instead of people. And depending on how much money they make for the company they're untouchable. One of the perps involved in the Morgan Stanley "boom boom room" case worked there for another 23 years. HR knew all about him- he wasn't allowed a female assistant.

So from an insider perspective I can tell you that compliance is an attitude. People who consider themselves above the rules, consider themselves above all rules. The same people who harass women also forge signatures and lie about investments. Ken Fischer just showed his character- consider yourself warned.

The brokerage industry didn't change that much after the Morgan Stanley debacle, they just got better at covering it up. Financial companies don't care till it hurts their bottom line. Kudos to that University who pulled their account. And to every person who does. I appreciate it.

Agree 100%.
The boom boom room case I know of was at Smith Barney.
Nevertheless, I worked at Deutsche Bank and Citigroup (which absorbed Smith Barney) among other firms.
The attitude at DB was there were no rules and anything goes, including a myriad of known in the open affairs in the Trading dept.
At Citigroup, due to the Smith Barney issue, one had to watch all behavior.
A tale of 2 firms.

As another woman who worked in the financial industry Fisher's comments are just plain disgusting. There were comments directed at me over the years that if I repeated them on this site I would be banned from this forum. In the years prior to my retirement when I would tell co-workers some the comments, they were horrified. I was asked "why didn't you go to HR?". Sorry, there was really no human resources departments back then. Tolerating low pay and verbal abuse was just considered the price to pay to be in the business.

Things got better toward the end of my working life. I had an employer that did not tolerate ANY racist or sexist behavior. I don't care how successful Mr. F. has been it is not about being politically correct, it is about treating all people with respect.

As another woman who worked in the financial industry Fisher's comments are just plain disgusting. There were comments directed at me over the years that if I repeated them on this site I would be banned from this forum. In the years prior to my retirement when I would tell co-workers some the comments, they were horrified. I was asked "why didn't you go to HR?". Sorry, there was really no human resources departments back then. Tolerating low pay and verbal abuse was just considered the price to pay to be in the business.

Things got better toward the end of my working life. I had an employer that did not tolerate ANY racist or sexist behavior. I don't care how successful Mr. F. has been it is not about being politically correct, it is about treating all people with respect.
Yes- at one point in my career I tried to report harassment, but the only available line to report it was for assistants. For a female financial advisor (we were 6% of FAs at that time) there was no help.

Why is it that only men are called out for sexist behavior, and women rarely are? If Misogyny is the "Hatred of women", wouldn't there be just as many women accused of Misandry? And wouldn't most feminists be guilty of that?

This attitude against Ken Fisher is just another example of the hypocrisy that men deal with on a daily basis. Men are often subject to discrimination in marriage and divorce, domestic violence and rape laws.

Men's rights activists and other masculinist groups have criticized modern laws concerning divorce, domestic violence, and rape as examples of institutional misandry.

In a study of 488 college students regarding ambivalent sexism towards men, researchers found that women who did not identify as feminists were more likely to be hostile towards men than self-identified feminists, but also more likely to hold benevolent views towards men.

In a study of 503 self-identified heterosexual females, social psychologists found an association between insecure attachment styles and women's hostile sexism towards men.

Religious studies professors Paul Nathanson and Katherine Young examined the institutionalization of misandry in the public sphere in their 2001 three-book series Beyond the Fall of Man, which refers to misandry as a "form of prejudice and discrimination that has become institutionalized in North American society", writing, "The same problem that long prevented mutual respect between Jews and Christians, the teaching of contempt, now prevents mutual respect between men and women."

Stanford University professor Philip Zimbardo writing for Psychology Today, argued that there was an empathy gap between young men and young women, with young women receiving more empathy and sympathy, and that young men were sometimes demonized and given conflicting messages about acceptable behavior and that this contributed to negative effects such as high young male suicide rates. The piece was part of a promotion for his book "Man, Interrupted: Why Young Men are Struggling & What We Can Do About It".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misandry

Last edited:
FWIW, it was a long time ago, but the crudest, most sexually explicit jokes and references, daily references to genitals etc I ever witnessed at work were from a woman boss. She was quite embarrassing to be around. Also had quite a few women coworkers who weren't afraid to throw around genital references and crude jokes all day long. To be clear, it was a primarily female company.

This does not diminish the situation for women as the boss was certainly in the minority, but it is not limited to men. Not trying to minimize the issue but just pointing out that it not always and exclusively a male who can be the offender.

Of course we had our share of crude males as well.

Why is it that only men are called out for sexist behavior, and women rarely are? If Misogyny is the "Hatred of women", wouldn't there be just as many women accused of Misandry? And wouldn't most feminists be guilty of that?

This attitude against Ken Fisher is just another example of the hypocrisy that men deal with on a daily basis. Men are often subject to discrimination in marriage and divorce, domestic violence and rape laws.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom