I own a lot of Apple... you probably do too

If someone bought 1000 shares at $11 that would be before the 1 for 7 split. Now they would have 7000 shares at roughly $170 per share or about a million bucks worth.

It wasn't mentioned if that was bought before the split or if that was his adjusted cost. No matter, it's not in my pocket. Don't even own enough for it to appear in my top 10 holdings list. Looks to be about .13% of my total holdings as of today.

It wasn't mentioned if that was bought before the split or if that was his adjusted cost. No matter, it's not in my pocket. Don't even own enough for it to appear in my top 10 holdings list. Looks to be about .13% of my total holdings as of today.

I used to track Apple very closely. i.e. Read everything and dialed into every quarterly earnings call. Prior to FIRE December 2016, APPLE was 80% of my taxable account and 25% of my total.

US total stock market index is 3.11% aapl.
S&P 500 index is ~3.8% aapl

Since these two indexes are by far my largest holdings for the domestic portion of my portfolio, I would say I have maybe 3.3% in my total domestic bucket. Frankly, I don't care if amzn or msft or any other company replaces the top position....the collective wisdom of the smartest minds in finance will determine that. Own everything and accept the market rate of return with 0.05% expenses...what a beautiful thing...been doing this for almost 20 years now....wish I started sooner in indexes.

M* has a 'stock intersection' feature. Apple is my #1 holding via MFs.

I used to track Apple very closely. i.e. Read everything and dialed into every quarterly earnings call. Prior to FIRE December 2016, APPLE was 80% of my taxable account and 25% of my total.

Wow. With that much, I'd be out doing inventory checks in all of the Apple stores or work there as a greeter! :greetings10:

I love my Apple stock. There is an Apple store near by me. Every single time I walked into that store it was rocking with people. It didn't matter if it was summer, winter, spring or fall. You could not take a step without bumping into someone. People had their wallets open buying.

I called my Financial Planner and I was able to get a small position in Apple. Not a lot but enough. A number of years later, it split 7:1. I smile every time I look at the stock price on Apple and my shares.

My Financial Planner told me if I ever see anything else like that again, to let him know. :dance:

I have, but unfortunately that company is not publicly traded. Ikea.

I love my Apple stock. There is an Apple store near by me. Every single time I walked into that store it was rocking with people. It didn't matter if it was summer, winter, spring or fall. You could not take a step without bumping into someone. People had their wallets open buying.

I called my Financial Planner and I was able to get a small position in Apple. Not a lot but enough. A number of years later, it split 7:1. I smile every time I look at the stock price on Apple and my shares.

My Financial Planner told me if I ever see anything else like that again, to let him know. :dance:

I have, but unfortunately that company is not publicly traded. Ikea.

We should have a thread on "biggest mistakes in selling". Mine would be Stryker Corp. (NYSE: SYK). I bought 100 or 200 shares a little (six months?) after they had an IPO. I was a young pup, and this was one of the first investments I had made. I sold it in 1988, having made 3x or so on my money.

That 100 shares is now 16,200 shares after splits, and that roughly $2000 investment would be worth $2,592,000 today. Above I said 100 or 200, I actually can't remember (and am too lazy to look for those old records in my files). If 200, the 2.6 M becomes 5.2 M. Why I sold it is a mystery, just worried about the market at the time I guess instead of keeping true on my long term investment themes.

I held a similar proportion prior to FIRE. Have slimmed that down to just under 5% now. Will hold on to the remainder for a while, some of which I bought back in December 2000. :dance:

If someone bought 1000 shares at $11 that would be before the 1 for 7 split. Now they would have 7000 shares at roughly $170 per share or about a million bucks worth.

I have a friend that bought 1,000 shares of AAPL back in 2000, 2001 or thereabouts. It was at $19 a share. He's held onto it ever since and is a millionaire.

He is a very smart guy, National Merit Scholar winner in high school, PhD in physics, career as research scientist, etc. Smartest person I ever met. Retired several years ago.

Talked to him last summer and his latest stock buy is Tesla. Said he had several hundred shares at an average price of around $225 a share. He says it's "his new Apple stock".

This only reinforces my long-held belief that selling Apple products (which is sort of what you do when you own their stock) would be FAR better than buying Apple products.

This only reinforces my long-held belief that selling Apple products (which is sort of what you do when you own their stock) would be FAR better than buying Apple products.

We do both.

And yes, we’ve made far more on their stock than we’ve spent on their products, even though we’ve bought a heckuva lot of Apple products over the years.

Apparently the are surging ahead in China with the newest model,iPhone! Who would have guessed?

I suppose that is why I continue to hold. Any slump is short-lived. Biggest holding by a long shot.

Tesla not for me. While they look great now and have made a bunch of good moves, there are too many viable competitors. Remember when the Palm Pilot owned the hand and the Blackberry owned the email pager market? Both lacked vision of what could be possible!

I sold about 3/4's of my Apple stock at the beginning of the year. I don't like their valuation at this point at all. I think that the stock will get crushed in the next recession when people go from replacing their iPhones every 1-2 years to doing it every 3-4 years.

I made a nice chunk of money on them, but everyone is way too optimistic on their future currently.

I'll buy them back if their price gets back to what I feel is a valuation that makes sense to me.

Tesla not for me. While they look great now and have made a bunch of good moves, there are too many viable competitors. Remember when the Palm Pilot owned the hand and the Blackberry owned the email pager market? Both lacked vision of what could be possible!

Right now there is hardly any competition for Tesla. Sure, Volkswagen has an EV, Porsche has an EV, Nissan, Ford has the Mustang EV, and there are a couple more. Now look at where these vehicles are as far as battery technology, (specifically driving range but also charging stations) software, and self-driving capabilities. Not even close.

Now look up how many EV's these other companies are producing and the number of assembly lines dedicated to EV's. Again, not even close.

And I would not say that Tesla lacks vision.

We're about 2% Apple. Not interested in trying for home runs, just maintaining diversification and patience.

It has probably been 20+ years since I fooled around with individual stocks, although DW held four or five small positions in locally-based NYSE companies. I never bothered to figure out how that turned out. Mostly I tried to get her to dump them because they were so small that their only effect was to junk up our holdings list. She finally did dump them a few years ago.

However, I have no problem with someone who wants to play with individual stocks as a very small portion of a portfolio. It can be a lot of fun. BTDT.

DH has also reduced his AAPL considerably. He initially was going to reduce to 3/4, then 1/2, but with this interminable run up he ended up reducing by 3/4.

He’s just ready to take profits on a 15-20 year holding with a few additions over the years whenever they got seriously clobbered.

LOL he is eyeing Tesla too, but they got away from him too fast with their huge recent price run up.

LOL he is eyeing Tesla too, but they got away from him too fast with their huge recent price run up.

My friend who owns TSLA said there would be a buying opportunity at the open on last Thursday. He was right, it dipped below $500. I just couldn't pull the trigger, though. Now I see it's up to $544. That's over 8% in 3 days.

He says there will likely be a stock price jump on Tesla "Battery Investor Day", whenever that is, Tesla isn't saying, but it's supposed to be soon. Then there could be a dip when they announce Q4 results on January 29th. Finally, he says there should be a dip when the announce Q1 results at the end of April as Tesla (and all car makers) tend to have lousy first quarters. But I'm worried by then the price might be in the low $600's and "dip" to $575 or so.

All very interesting posts. I recently achieved FI and have been changing my investments to focus more on income instead of total return. Is there a thread on the forum discussing options to boost your cash yield on stocks you hold?

All very interesting posts. I recently achieved FI and have been changing my investments to focus more on income instead of total return. Is there a thread on the forum discussing options to boost your cash yield on stocks you hold?

I was very happy to continue using total return after retiring.

Right now there is hardly any competition for Tesla. <snip>

Now look up how many EV's these other companies are producing and the number of assembly lines dedicated to EV's. Again, not even close.

They seem to have first mover advantage. But can he delegate to others? That will be essential to continued growth. Of course, understanding finance would also help. And that will be essential for it to make the transition to a blue chip.

DH has also reduced his AAPL considerably. He initially was going to reduce to 3/4, then 1/2, but with this interminable run up he ended up reducing by 3/4.

He’s just ready to take profits on a 15-20 year holding with a few additions over the years whenever they got seriously clobbered.

Interesting. I still am on the idea that iAnything is iCrack...in fact, AAPL should be updated to ICRK. Some people just WILL not have anything else. iMac, ipad, iphone, iBuds, iHome, iTunes, iANYWHING and iVERYTHING.

Still about ~10% of our holdings, although I admit, had I shifted to AMZN like I entertained in a previous thread titled APPL vs AMZN or something, i would have fared much better. Alas, I am not a stock picker, and I might buy MSFT as my 401k contributions outpace my individual risk appetite for individual equities. So I will then own CASY, MMM, AAPL, and MSFT in the broker.

Right now there is hardly any competition for Tesla. Sure, Volkswagen has an EV, Porsche has an EV, Nissan, Ford has the Mustang EV, and there are a couple more. Now look at where these vehicles are as far as battery technology, (specifically driving range but also charging stations) software, and self-driving capabilities. Not even close.

Volkswagen looks like they might actually be serious about EVs. We’ll see in the next couple years if their stated plans actually come to fruition. I’m particularly interested to see if they come through with some plan for charging stations that can compete with Tesla’s network

I bought and sold AAPL several times over the past 3 years. There were sveveral times that the stock would get dumped and I'd buy 100 shares and turn a $5k profit then sell.

When the share price got over $190 I just lost my nerve to buy back in. The recent rate of rise defies logic to me.

I did much better on BX. Have held BX for years but went heavy when the price fell below $30 during the Dec, 2018 drop. Sold most of it around $53. It's around $63 now but I don't regret selling. 100% increase in a year is just nuts.

Back
Top Bottom