Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets
Perhaps I am a bit negative. The threads initial question was, are we headed for a double dip. I don't think we ever got out of the first one. I want to believe. Anything relating to real jobs, real profits, real wealth creation or real growth would be appreciated. (real being something not temporarily created by gov't intervention) I want to be a buy and holder again, expecting my 8% growth. Those were fun times.

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FYI - economic indicators out the wazoo.

Economic Indicators

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #123
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I want to be a buy and holder again, expecting my 8% growth. Those were fun times.
Prepare for disappointment. I don't think those times are returning any time soon. That doesn't mean I'm ultra bearish, but I see too many demographic and economic headwinds to expect that kind of vigorous, sustained growth. I can imagine being a geezer and telling youngsters that "yeah, I remember the days of 5% unemployment."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I understand the desire for good times again Pete.
I just am trying to consider facts rather than government conspiracy theories
Long term jobs are much better than temporary jobs. However,temporary are better than NO job.
How do you feel about construction jobs? Many of those are temporary in nature as well (although a longer time than census temp positions).
the jobs data on Friday is probably going to take a huge hit with the loss of the temporary census workers. The interesting thing to see will be the number of private sector jobs.
Zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I thought Martha already debunked that claim:

Heading under 10,000 on the way!
Or so the Germans would have us believe!

haha is offline   Reply With Quote