Ishares ETFs look Flash Crashy

FUEGO

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If you want to maybe pick up a 10%-20% instagain.

I checked IJS and IUSV and they are 20-30% down last I looked, whereas the underlying securities are probably down 4-7% max. I got trades placed but can't even get Fidelity to show order status.

GL!

Same here. I saw VIG at -20% so I placed some orders. I'm betting they all will be cancelled.

I can't even log into my Vanguard account.

Awesome. So far I got a chunk of IUSV at $100.80 (maybe 16% off FMV).

Sweet, got IJS at $82.

And Fidelity shows the trade confirmations now. :)

Vanguard's website has been a real disappointment this morning.

Still some panic out there, especially in emerging markets. I'm a bit underweight, time to nibble.

Last edited:
I saw AMLP flash crash as well. It was down 6% then only down .85% literally the next second.

Any estimate of how likely these trades are to get cancelled? Thinking about moving $60k from VBR to IJS for a ~10% arb. But don't want the buy leg of the arb to get cancelled. I'm feeling like these are just liquidity issues for thinly traded ETFs (regarding the ishares ETFs anyway).

No idea. The trade confirmation is a good sign.

Gosh, just glad I could be there to provide liquidity in the markets for these thinly traded securities. I'd like to think I made some algo computer in lower Manhattan very unhappy this morning.

Tried to buy DVY through Fidelity but it took a long time for the order to be acknowledged and then the bid/ask spread was so big I ended up cancelling. Decided to stand back until things settle down a bit.

No idea. The trade confirmation is a good sign.

I thought I had solid trade confirmations, then I checked the execution details and it shows share quantity as -1 for the two trades. One trade is broken into 4 different executions (which is normal) and each one has -1 for qty. Fingers crossed!

Looks like the fun is over. Off to eat a bowl of oatmeal and practice ABCs with the 3 year old. :)

What is IJS and IUSV ? I got into more VTI ... That's all .. So far.

I thought I had solid trade confirmations, then I checked the execution details and it shows share quantity as -1 for the two trades. One trade is broken into 4 different executions (which is normal) and each one has -1 for qty. Fingers crossed!
Check the positions tab on the Fidelity account. That will show how much they say you own.

Check the positions tab on the Fidelity account. That will show how much they say you own.

Everything points to me owning the $20k (now $25k) worth of IUSV and IJS. One trade confirmation now shows 100 shares in execution details, the other one still shows multiple executions with -1 share but the correct overall data. I'm feeling good about these sticking for a ~25% profit.

What is IJS and IUSV ? I got into more VTI ... That's all .. So far.

Ishares small cap value and ishares large cap value. Though if you can get them at a huge discount to FMV, who cares, right? :D They are somewhat illiquid, trading in the tens of thousands of shares each day. But wow, seeing $20-30 bid-ask spreads is CRAZY.

Fidelity was definitely out of commission for a while. I couldn't get my order screen to load at all, saying it was "temporarily unavailable". I also noticed on one trade, my bid was at $82 and the bid/ask displayed at Fidelity and elsewhere on real time quotes w/ bid/ask were at $78.xx and $81.xx. In other words I should have received an instant trade at $81.xx or at least moved the bid to $82. Bid sat there at $78.xx for a loooong time, maybe 5+ minutes before I quit paying attention. It eventually executed at $82.

From the news article shared by ESRwannabe, I see many ishares ETFs listed as having trading halts. Hopefully that won't be grounds for reversal for folks like me. I wasn't gutsy enough to arb out of one ETF into a similar ishares ETF in case they reversed one half of the trade later.

But wow, seeing $20-30 bid-ask spreads is CRAZY.
Exactly, and more so with VIG, which has much more liquidity, average daily volume is >600K. I thought the algorithms and market makers continuously bought and sold to arbitrage the differences between the ETFs and the underlying baskets of stock. I must have wasted 10 minutes this morning thinking it was a mistake before buying. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom