Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, if that bunch of clowns elected public servants does not get their act together and the market plummets, I will probably buy a few extra shares and re-balance a bit early. :-)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.

Market was down yesterday. Perfect for me, since the 15th of the month is when my 401K automatic purchases are made. Market up today - instant temporary profit!

Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lili View Post
"Have a coke and a smile" I also bought into KO recently as it dropped to around $37.30. I plan to slowly dollar cost average into a larger position.
Want to do some KO but first, I have to have a little POT.

Warning: I talked my "Investment club" into buying KO, so it is sure to go down. Get out now while you can.
Our Motto: Buy high and sell low.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

I was going to purchase KO when it was 37.70 before earnings, but talked myself to wait until after. It went up, so I didn't get any yet. Sooner or later there will be a correction.

Funny, I have been checking POT out too. I'm waiting to see if it goes back to $29.

I'll be selling some YHOO if it goes to 34.10 and hold it for either KO or POT, whichever hits the price I'm waiting for first.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #145
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Today, we are all neutral. Invested in passively-managed index funds such as
VCSH, VTI, VEU, VWO, VBR, VSS, VNQ. No cash.

Watch this thread for transaction info.
This is how everyone should invest. Buy, hold and rebalance. I'm amazed that people pay advisers 2% a year to do essentially the same thing. These asset managers try to make it complicated by throwing in a small cap growth, a small cap value, a mid cap growth, a midc cap value, etc. Just decide how much risk you want to take and then buy the S & P, adding exposure to a small cap ETF if you want more risk.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Just a quick summary of 2013 ….

The asset allocation of the portfolio was not the best for 2013. Intermediate bonds were down for the year, but short-term bonds were up slightly. US equities did extremely well across the market capitalization spectrum of large, mid, and small.

Foreign equities did not do as well as US equities and there was a remarkable difference in subclasses of foreign as shown in the following Morningstar 'growth of' chart. Large cap developed +22%, small-cap developed +29%, large-cap emerging -5%, small-cap emerging +2.5%,

REITs did relatively poorly as well with a 2.4% performance.

As for market timing (which is really why you are reading this post, right?), the moves of 2013 were arguably not too bad at all. Rebalancing into bonds was required, but cost money since equities kept doing so well. Shortening bond duration was helpful, too. The moves from small/mid US to large-US didn't make any difference. The short-term trade into small-cap value made money. And finally, the purchase of large-cap emerging within a day or two of the market low for the year was outstanding. So if one's asset allocation required one to buy EM, then it was timed just fine.

Of course, one should've bet it all on black US equities and just not looked all year.

At the present time, just sitting tight with current asset allocation.
Best of luck in 2014!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #147

One of these years, "submerging markets" has to pull through. I think this is the year. If I am right, you can subscribe to my newsletter.

Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Submerge is the right word. Am still waiting for the ones I bought to emerge for their nostrils to be above water.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Submitted a limit order to buy some VWO (large-cap emerging markets) at a price slightly lower than the currently traded price. The intent is a simple short-term trade, so I may sell in a day or so whether the price goes up or down.

Cash to do this comes from dividends paid out this past week. Towards the market close, I may adjust limit price if the order has not executed.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Submitted a limit order to buy some VWO (large-cap emerging markets) at a price slightly lower than the currently traded price. The intent is a simple short-term trade, so I may sell in a day or so whether the price goes up or down.

Cash to do this comes from dividends paid out this past week. Towards the market close, I may adjust limit price if the order has not executed.

Good Luck sir. Is it typical for you to play with the dividend money at the start of the new year? I have typically re-invested the dividends but as I find myself getting more involved I am aikin to take some more risks with this money.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Order executed and price is already up! I've made money!

I typically do not have the broker automatically re-invest distributions. Instead, I use them for many purposes. Here at year-end, those purposes are (a) paying property taxes, (b) donating to charity, (c) paying this semester's college tuition, (d) funding children's Roth IRAs, (e) paying Christmas credit cards bills, (f) paying expenses while all of January paycheck goes into 401(k), and stuff like that.

This VWO trade is supposed to be short-term and I may need the money in a couple of weeks to pay a large bill or something.

If you are not interested in market timing, then you should not be reading this thread.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

haha. I am totally subscribed to this thread...and I do believe in timing based on knowledge.

I am not into short term trading yet... but you are helping me get there lol.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Order executed and price is already up! I've made money!
I just sold the shares of VWO (emerging markets index) purchased back on Jan 2. I didn't lose money, but I didn't make any money to speak of.

The reasons to sell were:
1. VWO did not really pop up after I bought it. I got tired of waiting for that.
2. I need the money to pay for college expenses and car repair bills.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

So VWO is down about 2.8% from yesterday, so I intend to buy it back already later today for another short-term trade with the intent to sell if it goes up any in the next week or so. I'll post an update later today. Wish me luck!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #155

Good luck! I bought VWO today at the low (so far)
Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

OK, order executed. I used a different account than yesterday, so I am not free-riding.

Once again, I intend to sell these shares within a week or two. I just don't have a good feeling about this, but I trade mechanically as I hope folks can see from this newsletter.

@Fermion, Good luck back at ya!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #157

"in an uncertain world, tactical change should be made sparingly, and only if you are prepared to take the risk of being wrong."

Jack Bogle
Old 01-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #158

"I've never really wanted to go to Japan. Simply because I don't like eating fish."

Britney Spears
Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #159

I appreciate threads in which people share their interests and experience. This is one of them. The photography thread is another.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Bad news! Emerging Markets buy on a dip got a plug today on finance.yahoo.com:
Buy the (next) dip in emerging-markets stocks | Michael Santoli - Yahoo Finance