ROKU?

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Couldn’t help myself ... bought ROKU at 44 on Friday ...

Their products are very popular with family friends - especially those that are cutting the cord.

What are your thoughts?

If you are into cord cutting, you need atleast a couple of devices. A Chromecast + Roku or Chromecast + Amazon Firestick or Chromecast + Android box. So it is a good choice.

Roku is the best. We have a Roku box on every set in the house - from the oldest Toshiba flat tube with RCA connectors, to the newest with HDMI. We've also had them since the original - when they were 3 or 4 times the size they are now, and much less powerful. Roku gave generous upgrade offers all along.

You'll be extremely happy with it.

Let me recommend you add the Pluto TV (http://www.pluto.tv) channel onto it...it's like a cable system within a single Roku channel.

Last edited:
Not cutting the cord, but I just called my cable company (Spectrum) to see if I could get my bill down. During the call they said that I don’t need one of my basic cable boxes if I had a smart tv or Roku. They have an app that essentially. Changes your tv view from the coaxial cable to the internet (WiFi or Ethernet). This is good news for me because that means I can put a tv anywhere in the house without any additional wiring. All I need is a good WiFi signal. Plus, I don’t need to pay for a cable box.

So I’ve been looking into Roku too. Did you get the 4K one which seems to be running $49 or the base one for $29?

If you are into cord cutting, you need atleast a couple of devices. A Chromecast + Roku or Chromecast + Amazon Firestick or Chromecast + Android box. So it is a good choice.

You do not need Chromecast with Roku. We cut the cord 2 years ago. We have an antennae, a Tablo and Rokus on all our TVs. Never ever needed a Chromecast.

I’ve had a Roku (2, 3, and stick that came free with joining Sling) for a while and am very pleased with it.

I’m lucky to have great OTA HD reception (> 40 channels, PBS most-viewed).

The only thing connected to a wired coax output here is an Arris cable modem. Everything else is fed through a Netgear dual-band router (including all computer-like things).

I expect Roku to be bought by Apple or Amazon as a strategy to dominate market share... or possibly a TV manufacturer like Samsung or LG.

I'm too far down the road with the Fire TV platform and the tight integration with Alexa. But I do find the platform-agnostic approach of Roku to be quite appealing. So if they get bought by Apple or Amazon that will likely end.

steelyman ... I do the same thing - all the time!

What started all this was having time to consider the world vice just reacting as I did, ya know ... before.

I have been amazed at the amount of what I consider extraordinary programming content available through Netflix ... so, I bought some NFLX a couple of weeks ago on a dips.

Then we were constantly fighting with the Cox folks about invisible and near invisible rate increases - so, finally beat them down, but before that small success got further into the OTA programming (have previously installed antennas and been very pleased), then started looking into the manufacturers that are trying to pull OTA, internet, provider pushed, etc. all together. While doing this and discussing with friends, many told me of their recent Roku box and Roku TV purchases .... so ... bought ROKU.

Simplistic, yeah ...

You DON’T need a “couple of devices” - but this thread is about Roku stock anyway.

The VC my daughter works for has ROKU in its portfolio. They did well and so will its users. The software is now offered in some new TVs. Content is critical. I think the stock will have a good run, maybe for years. I am a bit of a cynic about technology device companies long term. I hope they will not be a one trick pony.

The likes of Comcast are under pressure. I think the legacy hard-wired video providers will be reorienting their services. Comcast has a poor reputation with users, they have a lot to overcome.

Last edited:
Let me recommend you add the Pluto TV (Pluto TV) channel onto it...it's like a cable system within a single Roku channel.

Hmm, interesting. Looks like they have a lot of movie channels and news and other programming. Since it's free, can I assume the channels are all contaminated with ads? If so, probably not for me. I've been thoroughly spoiled by the DVR revolution. :D

Looking at Roku’s business, I see more and more devices including parts (if not all) of their value proposition...as a no-cost option. Just last week, a TV salesperson at Costco was asking me why I was considering an Apple TV or Roku when my TV came with Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube functionality built in. For me, there’s some content I want that my TV does not provide that Roku/Apple TV does, but for everyone? It’s just extra complication with an additional remote control to deal with. Based on the above observation, I’d be cautious with the stock...

Hmm, interesting. Looks like they have a lot of movie channels and news and other programming. Since it's free, can I assume the channels are all contaminated with ads? If so, probably not for me. I've been thoroughly spoiled by the DVR revolution. :D

Well, obviously there are ads, though I wouldn't say "contaminated". The way I look at it - we're paying for the cheap Hulu plan and it has ads. If this is free and I get tons of content, there's really nothing to complain about.

In the past year, Pluto has also added lots of music channels, as well as college sports networks. Again, it's free, it's consolidated in one place, and the interface is good/intuitive.

We also have a Tivo Roamio OTA DVR that came with lifetime Tivo service included for free, so I can appreciate the DVR and skip commercial feature - makes watching Saturday Night Live on Sunday morning a pleasure.

For me, there’s some content I want that my TV does not provide that Roku/Apple TV does, but for everyone? It’s just extra complication with an additional remote control to deal with.

A few points:

1. When you purchase a TV which includes streaming capability it's generally the case that it does not do it very well. The TV excels at the TV functionality - it's not built to provide a great streaming experience. Roku, on the other hand, has one purpose and that is to provide the best streaming device available. Their sole mission is performance and functionality of the streaming device. We have two DVD players which include streaming capability as well as our big screen TV and the Tivo Roamio - none of them comes close to providing the experience/performance which the Roku does.

2. If the streaming capability is built in to the TV and the TV dies, you also lose your streaming (which you've also likely paid extra for in the cost of the TV itself). If you have Roku or some other streaming device, you just hook it up to the replacement TV and you're in business - regardless of whether the TV includes the capability.

3. Roku is expandable/adaptable - it's an open system. Developers and content providers can create new Roku channels which can be added in or removed. TVs, DVDs, DVRs and other devices don't - you (generally) only get new content/channels when the manufacturer provides a firmware update which includes it (i.e. you don't get to decide).

I’d be cautious with the stock...

That goes for every technology company/stock.

And the TV manufacturer probably will not update their streaming apps (or vice versa) nearly as often as Roku. I've had this happen with our 3 year old Samsung 60".

To one of the great points ... we have a new Visio 70" but it does not have an OTA channelizer built in ...I don't do OTA right now, so not a factor, but when I get around to installing antenna, I will need a channelizer box - Roku is in this tech mix in a couple of ways, but also spread across other content and delivery platforms ... frankly, I'm having a hard time figuring out how it all works :)

With my current screen (not technically a TV since it doesn't have it's own channelizer for OTA), I use a universal remote and simply turn on the Apple TV box I have which brings up, amount dozens, Netflix, Prime and PBS (PBS is time lagged from real time) ... I don't use a TV remote at all. Universal remote has options for Cox provided input (HDMI input), DVD (almost NEVER used), Apple TV ... screen's output sound via fiber to the A/V receiver ...

I am going to get a white board in the office to keep track of the various signal flows ...

What happens with 5G?

A few points:

1. When you purchase a TV which includes streaming capability it's generally the case that it does not do it very well. The TV excels at the TV functionality - it's not built to provide a great streaming experience. Roku, on the other hand, has one purpose and that is to provide the best streaming device available. Their sole mission is performance and functionality of the streaming device. We have two DVD players which include streaming capability as well as our big screen TV and the Tivo Roamio - none of them comes close to providing the experience/performance which the Roku does.

2. If the streaming capability is built in to the TV and the TV dies, you also lose your streaming (which you've also likely paid extra for in the cost of the TV itself). If you have Roku or some other streaming device, you just hook it up to the replacement TV and you're in business - regardless of whether the TV includes the capability.

3. Roku is expandable/adaptable - it's an open system. Developers and content providers can create new Roku channels which can be added in or removed. TVs, DVDs, DVRs and other devices don't - you (generally) only get new content/channels when the manufacturer provides a firmware update which includes it (i.e. you don't get to decide).

I bought a Panasonic Blu-ray player with apps 8 years ago; the apps don't get updated. :(

I have two Rokus. They give consumer more flexibility.

Last edited:
I bought a Panasonic Blu-ray player with apps 8 years ago; the apps don't get updated. :(

I have two Rokus. They give consumer more flexibility.

There lies the bug with so many of these smart devices - they are not updated.

It's bad enough if one cannot get features on the smart device that are easily available on the original Roku equipment. But, what about security updates that protect us from bad guys looking for ways to misuse our web attached equipment? No updates mean security holes are not patched. Not so good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom