Today is always the hardest day to buy!

I have my asset allocation, but if I am looking to use cash, I look at a simple indicator. It flashed buy in ‘08/‘09, ‘11 and ‘15. It’s not flashing buy now, but it may soon.

The US central bank intervention has never been done before & probably will not happen again. It altered the financial landscape. Your part of an experiment. The economy is different now. It feels synthetic.

Oh good. Someone has a flashing light. I need one of those. Do they have them on Amazon?

January was a big month this year. We might get another one next year.

I want a report as soon as you get the buy with both hands signal. Lets do this

I want a report as soon as you get the buy with both hands signal. Lets do this

It’s reported every day. There’s even a common investment rhyme about it, but you want to make fun of it and drop your bird poop on my posts, you get no soup. Step aside.:LOL:

The US central bank intervention has never been done before & probably will not happen again. It altered the financial landscape. Your part of an experiment.

Yep, totally agree. The experiment will either work out just fine, or it won't, but we can't look back at market history for guidance in this case, IMO.

Your a bird hater. I will find you & I will shred your cheddar

So what seems like forever ago, I posted this chart (now updated): thinkorswim Sharing

At that time, I was babbling on about the wedge and that usually the break out on it is positive, and that is why I thought (in February/March/April) that the market would reach new highs (which it did). It also puts into perspective a few other things:
1) The SP 500 2800 level was the ceiling after the initial down blast in February, was broken though in July, and then acted as a floor in August and then after breaking it again (on the downside) in October a ceiling on both attempts to rally back.

2) We still haven't retested the February lows. I know it seems much more painful than those February lows, and it seems like things have really fallen apart...but taking $AAPL as an example, in Feb Apple hit $150.24 at the low, and even after falling off the cliff lately it closed at $176.98 today. NFLX is up about 5% from the February low. INTC (Intel) was $42.04 in Feb, $47.39 today. Walmart (WMT) hit $81.78 in May, $94.16 today.

So why does it seem worse? I know for me, I was calling for a further breakout (upward) in November/December, and that hasn't happened (and I've sold a bunch of things accordingly). While I sold some things in January of the year, I also sold on a number of occasions (mostly in a 401k so tax deferred) to lock in some gains. Part of my rationale is 3+% on safe money as a draw, but part is also fear/wanting to have even more cash to invest if we see significantly lower levels).

I am also concerned on what I am starting to see on the debt front, where unlike earlier 'buy the dips' opportunities, credit seems to be telling me that a storm might be brewing. Take a look at the Vanguard High Yield bond fund: thinkorswim Sharing. The trend is not our friend there.

So, I am conflicted. How many people out there were saying to themselves (when Apple was $232) - "Man, if it would only sell off to $180 I would be jumping on it". Well, it is there - are they jumping on it? That is why timing is so difficult - when the prices drop there is usually some reason, whether real or imagined. So I find myself worried and wanting to sell, but at the same time thinking about things that are bargains and that I should be assembling a buy list. (I have bought some things - knives slicing through my fingers as the stocks fall even further.)

I sold all my junk bonds, most of my floating rate. Equities are the minority of my AA. The only thing green on my screen these days are my individual bond holdings. I am almost flat on the year, but it feels different. Rallies are being sold. Buying the dip, that worked for almost 10 years, doesn’t any longer.Taking risk right now is not your friend. There will be a time for that again in the future.

Last edited:
I finally got a "buy signal" on Monday morning and increased AA from 18% to 50%. The 32% increase was divided between the QQQ and SPY. I am only looking for a move to the 200 day MA in advance of the impending "Death Cross".

So you reallowcated to ride a dead cat bounce? Then you sell back down for a sell off to new lows? Is that your intention?

More or less, but it is no longer PC to say "DCB", which is why I referred to the Death Cross!

Wish you luck with that! But with your performance YTD probably won't need it!

So I sold the 1000 shares Celgene today for $69.75 and booked a $2950 profit (minus some little commissions)

They add up, $3000 here, $1000 there, soon you are talking real money.

Soothing words from da banker will help your cause. Or provide the excuse to plow dough into the cheap stock market.

I am sitting on 83% cash/treas bills right now. I have been waiting very impatiently to start nibbling again at the S&P 500. Volume is looking good for a big bite near the close.

Then my Father's favorite words come to mind!

This thread was started on Nov 20. I "lost" $33K that day. The day before, I "lost" $45K. It was indeed hard to buy.

I did not buy. But that day and the day after, I sold several put contracts to buy some biotech ETFs and semiconductor stocks at a few percent below their then prices.

It's not as good or as courageous as buying, but my stock AA was already close to 75%. I would have bought if my cash AA were 83% as that of the OP.

Last edited:
Sold my QQQ,SPY and a bit of my Chinese stocks today and now am 85% cash/treasuries. Unless there is a major rally in the Nasdaq today, we should get our "Death Cross". Interestingly, we are very close in the S&P as well. I think this has happened in the S&P only about a dozen times or so in the last 80 years with 4 of them in this past "bull market".

Back
Top Bottom