Vanguard hosed today

karen1972

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not sure if anyone else had issues with Vanguard this morning... tried to pick up Apple at $94 and it just sat and spun.. had issues logging in and it was slow processing too..

Never tried to trade Vanguard on busy days like this, not sure if this is typical as I usually do day trades in Tradeking, but didn't have the free cash. Is this typical?

Anyone pick up anything good this morning or everyone sitting on the sidelines

Had issues with other well known online broker. Market volume and funny open. Not much the little guy can do.

Bought more VTI which is my long term hold for decade type of holding.

I had issues when I first tried logged on, but was able to finally get on. I am not trading, so can't speak to that performance (or lack thereof).

Just completed two small orders on Fidelity--WY and IYF No issues. They were limit orders at the edge of current bid values. They executed quickly.
Nwsteve

I had issues when I first tried logged on, but was able to finally get on. I am not trading, so can't speak to that performance (or lack thereof).

I traded today, and it went smoothly and quickly as always. I logged in, made my exchange from Prime Money Market to the funds I was buying, Vanguard said OK, done, you will get a confirmation.

THEN Vanguard said that the money in Prime Money Market hadn't yet cleared the bank so my trade might be delayed. :confused:

This can't be! I sure hope all is well. Surely it has cleared the bank, because:

(1) Early this morning both Vanguard and my bank showed that the money I uploaded to Vanguard on Friday morning was definitely at Vanguard in Prime Money Market and not at my bank.

(2) I got a confirmation e-mail from Vanguard on Saturday saying that they received the money.

Compounding my worries, immediately after telling me the money hadn't cleared my bank yet, Vanguard threw me offline as the website crashed. Eventually I got back on but wasn't able to see anything unusual or of great concern.

:banghead:

I am hoping all this is just due to Vanguard being overloaded today. Wish me luck! :)

These type of events are not uncommon during times of market volatility. Seen it many times, just glad I'm not w*rking , so it's not me they are calling. Probably as the day goes on lookylous won't be checking balances etc. Add some processors and all is forgotten till it happens the next time.

Brings back memories to 1987, trying to call my discount broker (Schwab) on a coin pay phone, and all the telephone lines were busy ( for real ) :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I traded today, and it went smoothly and quickly as always. I logged in, made my exchange from Prime Money Market to the funds I was buying, Vanguard said OK, done, you will get a confirmation.

THEN Vanguard said that the money in Prime Money Market hadn't yet cleared the bank so my trade might be delayed. :confused:

This can't be! I sure hope all is well. Surely it has cleared the bank, because:

(1) Early this morning both Vanguard and my bank showed that the money I uploaded to Vanguard on Friday morning was definitely at Vanguard in Prime Money Market and not at my bank.

(2) I got a confirmation e-mail from Vanguard on Saturday saying that they received the money.

Compounding my worries, immediately after telling me the money hadn't cleared my bank yet, Vanguard threw me offline as the website crashed. Eventually I got back on but wasn't able to see anything unusual or of great concern.

I am hoping all this is just due to Vanguard being overloaded today. Wish me luck! :)

Your mutual fund buys won't execute until market close today, so they have until then to sort it out. Do they have some kind of hold on large deposits?

Your mutual fund buys won't execute until market close today, so they have until then to sort it out. Do they have some kind of hold on large deposits?

Not that I know of!

I just hope I don't get caught in some sort of "dead cat bounce" tomorrow. :(

Other than the money I uploaded on Friday, my Prime Money Market had only $99 in it. :LOL:

I had something very similar happen to me with VG a couple of months ago. I had moved funds into the money market and about 3 days later, I got a confirmation. I made a trade and initially, it looked fine and then I got an email about funds availability (or lack thereof, again). Before I could look into it further, I got a call from VG and they told me it was all good to go. And that was on a day when volume and volatility wasn't crazy...I just don't think I am interested in getting caught up in some madness that is happening today. The daytraders can keep that madness.

I had something very similar happen to me with VG a couple of months ago. I had moved funds into the money market and about 3 days later, I got a confirmation. I made a trade and initially, it looked fine and then I got an email about funds availability (or lack thereof, again). Before I could look into it further, I got a call from VG and they told me it was all good to go. And that was on a day when volume and volatility wasn't crazy...

Oh good! Maybe it is some sort of automated warning.

I just don't think I am interested in getting caught up in some madness that is happening today. The daytraders can keep that madness.

Me either, but as long as I was going to invest anyway.... :angel:

You need a real broker if you want to trade stock intraday in a market like this. Vanguard is the best in the world for mutual funds but not for trading stocks like this.

I bought AAPL at 95.10 and sold at 108 at OptionsHouse where I trade stocks and options.

You need a real broker if you want to trade stock intraday in a market like this. Vanguard is the best in the world for mutual funds but not for trading stocks like this.

I bought AAPL at 95.10 and sold at 108 at OptionsHouse where I trade stocks and options.

Yep, Optionshouse is also where I trade. Unfortunately I got up late and didn't log on until two minutes after the market had opened, so missed the huge sale in Apple and Gilead. You made out like a bandit, great buy!

I had a lot of issues with Vanguard this morning. When I finally got in, I found out that trading of VV had been suspended. Most of my ETF orders executed though.

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Not sure if anyone else had issues with Vanguard this morning... tried to pick up Apple at $94 and it just sat and spun.. had issues logging in and it was slow processing too..

Never tried to trade Vanguard on busy days like this, not sure if this is typical as I usually do day trades in Tradeking, but didn't have the free cash. Is this typical?

Anyone pick up anything good this morning or everyone sitting on the sidelines

Had this prob. Friday took a long time to get my order thru

Brings back memories to 1987, trying to call my discount broker (Schwab) on a coin pay phone, and all the telephone lines were busy ( for real ) :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I made several trades (buys) online with Schwab today. I didn't notice any slow downs on their website or in their trade executions. It did take a few hours before I got the email trade confirmations (which I usually see in minutes) but I don't really care about that. Much better than payphone trading. :)

I made several trades (buys) online with Schwab today. I didn't notice any slow downs on their website or in their trade executions.

But what time were your trades? After 11:00am Eastern? Or within 15-30 mins of the open?

Not in the first 30 mins. A little to wild and crazy for me. I waited and entered all of them about 11:30 EST (Limit orders) One traded about 11:45 EST and two more after noon (EST). As best as I can tell they all executed when the limits were "first" hit after my order entry.

Last edited:
I didn't have any trouble logging in to Vanguard, but it was after 5:00 PM and I didn't do anything but look and say "dagnabit!" and then log off.

Purchasing VG funds from Prime Moneymarket is an exchange. My exchanges always show up the next morning so I assumed they executed the same day after the market close or at midnight. Do they execute some later in the following day?

Purchasing VG funds from Prime Moneymarket is an exchange. My exchanges always show up the next morning so I assumed they executed the same day after the market close or at midnight. Do they execute some later in the following day?

Vanguard came through for me!! :clap: :dance: Sometime in the middle of the night, they purchased/exchanged the funds I asked for, using the money from Prime Money Market as I requested and using yesterday's closing prices, as I had hoped.

So, I got what I consider to be some great bargains (relative to the market so far this summer), just as I had hoped to get. I guess that I was worrying about nothing.

Back
Top Bottom