Airlines are going to regret...

The one thing I wish airlines would charge for is carry-on luggage. This way i could be assured of getting space if needed.
They made this worse with their checked baggage fees. I think it would be good enough if they enforced the carry-on size limits, and maybe made those limits smaller.

One of the best aspects of being retired, is that finally I am not required to fly for work any more. I am so thankful that I can choose not to fly, especially now that things are so rapidly getting worse and worse for air travelers.

They made this worse with their checked baggage fees. I think it would be good enough if they enforced the carry-on size limits, and maybe made those limits smaller.
+1

I avoid flying, but last time I flew I ended up in the middle seat, flanked by two very large ladies who were "together," and proceeded to talk loudly back & forth as if I didn't exist. I spoke up and said, "I hope you don't mind if I join your conversation," and proceeded to do just that. They seemed a little shocked at first, but they weren't about to change seats, and meanwhile, I refused to shut up and be their quiet little human arm rest. So, we all had a chat until the window seat lady decided to take a nap, and I finally got to read my book.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Good for you!

---
J. Sadler

Last edited by a moderator:
I fly quite a bit, and every flight, irrespective of airline, is full but they can't seem to make a profit.
Not surprisingly, it would appear fluctuations in fuel (though I assume they hedge which helps/hurts at times) and little (downward) flexibility in labor costs make it difficult for major commercial carriers to be profitable. I would have guessed their capital costs (planes mostly) would be much higher, but I know they get a very long life on those purchases...

Attachments

• AircraftEconomicsAirlineCostDrivers.jpg
    AircraftEconomicsAirlineCostDrivers.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Babies - Like anybody else, I hate having to listen to crying babies on airplanes, but I also feel bad for the babies. Everybody knows babies and flying don't mix. Unless there's a real need [I almost said a crying need!] to go somewhere by plane, I wish families would wait till the infants are a little older before subjecting them to air travel. Let Grandpa and Grandma do the visiting.

+1

The one "perk" I would gladly pay extra for would be to be guaranteed to be on a plane with no children (under, say 8 years old) on it. AT ALL. I'd gladly pay an extra $100 for that.

The other thing that irks me is that if my luggage weighs too much, I pay extra. But the 350 lb couch potato seated (inevitably) next to me pays the same fare as I do. How is that fair? They charge me more for a heavy bag because it costs more fuel to fly more weight. But if I weigh 170 lbs, and Joe Six-pack weighs literally twice as much, how come he doesn't have to pay any extra? My luggage weighs 2 lbs more than his (51 lbs vs. 49 lbs), I pay an extra $45. But he weighs 180 lbs more than me, and doesn't pay any extra at all. Absurd.

I would have guessed their capital costs (planes mostly) would be much higher

It's because they don't actually own the planes. They lease them. Often times, while boarding, you can even see the logo/placard on a plate in the door frame, indicating who the actual owner of the plane is (usually some investment capital firm or something), and who it is leased to.

I guess I am a weirdo. I enjoy flying, and put up with the security and crowding as part of the price I pay. To wake up and think "Here I am, approching the Western edges of Europe at sunrise when ten hours ago I was in my hometown." Wow, I really find that remarkable.

I haven't flown for about 5 years and don't miss it a bit. I'll be able to fly "Space A" next year when my Navy retirement comes in, I hope they don't charge more for aisle seats! :LOL:

It's because they don't actually own the planes. They lease them. Often times, while boarding, you can even see the logo/placard on a plate in the door frame, indicating who the actual owner of the plane is (usually some investment capital firm or something), and who it is leased to.
True enough, though leasing doesn't change costs considerably, just a difference in accounting. They show a leased cost or an amortized payment, not unlike an individual buying a car, you either have a lease payment or a (purchased) car payment (minus "trade in" eventually) FWIW.

I avoid flying, but last time I flew I ended up in the middle seat, flanked by two very large ladies who were "together," and proceeded to talk loudly back & forth as if I didn't exist. I spoke up and said, "I hope you don't mind if I join your conversation," and proceeded to do just that. They seemed a little shocked at first, but they weren't about to change seats, and meanwhile, I refused to shut up and be their quiet little human arm rest. So, we all had a chat until the window seat lady decided to take a nap, and I finally got to read my book.

You made my day with this one ...

True enough, though leasing doesn't change costs considerably, just a difference in accounting. They show a leased cost or an amortized payment, not unlike an individual buying a car, you either have a lease payment or a (purchased) car payment (minus "trade in" eventually) FWIW.
That game is largely over due to accounting rules for capital leases (e.g. debt).

That game is largely over due to accounting rules for capital leases (e.g. debt).

I'm simply talking about accounting for expenses. The costs for leasing and buying are comparable in the long run, just as they are for individuals. The cost difference between leasing and buying isn't orders of magnitude for a business (or individual), one is certainly not 2X the other in the long run, that's why companies often do lease/buy analysis and it often comes down to cost of capital at the time. The difference between lease vs buy was almost a push for much of my 35 year career, and I only retired last summer. Have things changed that much in 11 months?

Now back to the debate about %#*?^ carry on bags and &$%#* added fees!

Last edited:
They charge me more for a heavy bag because [-]it costs more fuel to fly more weight[/-] they can get away with it. But if I weigh 170 lbs, and Joe Six-pack weighs literally twice as much, how come he doesn't have to pay any extra? My luggage weighs 2 lbs more than his (51 lbs vs. 49 lbs), I pay an extra $45. But he weighs 180 lbs more than me, and doesn't pay any extra at all. Absurd.

I fixed it for you. The "costs more fuel" is mostly a way of justifying the extra charge. I'm sure they'll add a surcharge for heavy flyers as soon as they can get past the political correctness thing.

They would charge you more for wearing a yellow shirt if they could get away with it.

I've never liked the practice of adding on fees, whether it's shipping and handling, extra baggage, blanket, etc., but once these things are implemented they don't go away, partly due to competition.

When I was selling my software product, I told a marketing consultant that I didn't want to include a Shipping and Handling fee. He convinced me that I had no choice, it was too profitable.

I don't have a problem with them charging more for better seats - they do that all the time with first class vs. coach. They can do it between different coach seats if they like.

My concern is that I'd like to pay the extra when I'm making the reservation and know that I've got the better seat reserved (or not, depending on the mark up). I don't like waiting until check in and then hoping some frequent flyer didn't beat me to it.

Other surcharges to watch for:

Barf bag
Seat reclining fee
Polite TSA agent
Having stewardess say "Ba-bye now"
Express bathroom line

Tempers are already so short on flights. I feel sorry for the flight attendants who will be expected to shuffle seated passengers when Mom and her four-year-old are booked into middle seats. Who wants to give up the aisle/window seats that they've paid more for?

We lbym most of the time and drive most places, but I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and go for business class from now on when we have to fly somewhere.

And agree with the above that checked bags should be free and a fee charged for the carry-ons. Getting on and off the planes would be so much faster.

I fixed it for you. The "costs more fuel" is mostly a way of justifying the extra charge. I'm sure they'll add a surcharge for heavy flyers as soon as they can get past the political correctness thing.

They would charge you more for wearing a yellow shirt if they could get away with it.

Actually they had something on the news where some airlines are making some very heavy flyers buy two tickets... they interviewed a lady who has had to do that a few times... I think it was Southwest that charged her...

I don't have a problem with them charging more for better seats - they do that all the time with first class vs. coach. They can do it between different coach seats if they like.

My concern is that I'd like to pay the extra when I'm making the reservation and know that I've got the better seat reserved (or not, depending on the mark up). I don't like waiting until check in and then hoping some frequent flyer didn't beat me to it.

The news article seemed to say that you could pay up front to get the seat... then at another time it appeared that they were reserved for frequent flyers...

God knows flying isn't very fun this days between TSA and the airline desperate to make a buck (often to keep them out of bankruptcy). Hawaii flights are almost always full and sitting in middle seat with crying babies is pretty miserable.

Still given me cheap airfares over a regulated airline industry. I generally go to the mainland 3 to 4 times cheap. The extra 50-60% I'd have to pay in the good old days would mean either one or two less trips or another $1500/year. A 25x that additional spending means quite a few more months working.

The why I figure you can typically upgrade to business class for the same cost as the old fare would have been under regulation.

Still given me cheap airfares over a regulated airline industry. I generally go to the mainland 3 to 4 times cheap. The extra 50-60% I'd have to pay in the good old days would mean either one or two less trips or another $1500/year. A 25x that additional spending means quite a few more months working.

The way I figure you can typically upgrade to business class for the same cost as the old fare would have been under regulation.
Agree. I fly a lot on business, including internationally. Sure it is crowded and the atmosphere ain't what it used to be. But I just bought a round trip ticket from the midwest to an out-of-the-way spot in Africa for $2000. That ain't bad. The trip is about 22 hours in the seat each way. To upgrade to business class would have been several thousand dollars more. Or about $50 for each hour in the air. About a dollar per minute. I just can't see it as worth it. It's not like they are pulling your fingernails out while you sit in coach and you are getting a body massage up in business class.

Deregulation has been a boon. And, as a bonus, I can dress comfortably without feeling out of place.

And agree with the above that checked bags should be free and a fee charged for the carry-ons. Getting on and off the planes would be so much faster.

I've got to disagree here. You might get on/off the plane slightly faster, but any time you "win" there will be "lost" in baggage claim, waiting for your luggage.

I much prefer to ONLY fly with a carry-on (no checked bag) if at all possible, so I don't have to stand around in baggage claim for 20 minutes waiting for the belt to start moving. I value being able to walk off the plane, and continue walking right out of the airport.

All airlines I know of (I'm in Canada) allow 1 checked bag for free anyway, provided it weighs less than 50 lbs. Additional checked bags carry an extra fee, but the first one is free.

One caveat: I know the overhead bins will be stuffed by the time I get to my seat, leaving no room for my bag. So for my carry-on, I always bring a bag I know will fit beneath the seat in front of me. I prefer this anyway, since if I need to access it during the flight (and I'm not in the aisle seat), I don't have to disturb anyone to get out of my seat to reach my bag. I just slide it out from beneath the seat in front of me, featch/stow what I need, and slide it back. And there's no competition for that space - I never have to wonder whether there'll be any room left for my bag by the time I board. :)

Slightly off topic, but I just don't get how numb fliers are with respect to placing and removing carry on luggage. Given how much down time there is in airport terminals they should have endless loop videos everywhere demonstrating such basic skills as stepping out of the aisle while pushing and tugging on your oversize bag to get it into the overhead compartment.

And how about taking your bag out of the compartment when everyone is standing there doing nothing but shouting into their cell phone to announce their arrival? Can't reach it? Ask someone to hand it to you - they aren't going anywhere anyway.

Rant over. :ROFLMAO:

One caveat: I know the overhead bins will be stuffed by the time I get to my seat, leaving no room for my bag. So for my carry-on, I always bring a bag I know will fit beneath the seat in front of me. I prefer this anyway, since if I need to access it during the flight (and I'm not in the aisle seat), I don't have to disturb anyone to get out of my seat to reach my bag. I just slide it out from beneath the seat in front of me, featch/stow what I need, and slide it back. And there's no competition for that space - I never have to wonder whether there'll be any room left for my bag by the time I board. :)

Just one problem - I'm 6 feet tall and have feet.

Back
Top Bottom