Buy air tickets for late August in Italy now?

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We settled on buying Premium Economy, non-stop from SFO to Rome. For us this is a good weather alternative period and DW wants to avoid economy on this 12 hour flight. She also "feels" that it might be safer as she is Covid shy and would wear a mask. Business class is just too pricey. There is only one carrier the fits the bill: United Airlines.

The price looks most reasonable in for August 29 to Sept 26. Still pretty pricey at $2304/seat.

One website suggested this is a decent advanced purchase timing at 7.5 months. Another says 3 months before. But we have some pretty narrow requirements (non-stop, Premium Economy) so I'm thinking best to lock in soon.

Thoughts?

Seems high to me, but as you stated, only one carrier fits the bill. No competition means high price.
I looked on google flights. I'd take the lay-over on Lufthansa and save $660pp (per googleflights). Likely better service on LH vs UAL.
Save more if you fly on 23AUG.

Lufthansa has excellent service. Travelled to Italy (Turin or Milan) four times, three from Dulles, once from Newark. Stopover was typically Munich or Hamburg.

Pre-Covid I would find decent transatlantic prices even just 60 days out. We typically left on a Tuesday or Wednesday as these are lower traffic days, so more seats available those days.

Google Flights for searching and comparison. They can also track price history for you on specific flights - once you turn it on. Doesn’t show past history.

Pre-Covid I would find decent transatlantic prices even just 60 days out. We typically left on a Tuesday or Wednesday as these are lower traffic days, so more seats available those days.

Google Flights for searching and comparison. They can also track price history for you on specific flights - once you turn it on. Doesn’t show past history.

I got the info from Google Flights and the dates were the best pricing for a long stay. I just want DW to feel comfortable flying for such long hours (12 hour flight). Google has a nice matrix price graph which shows different departure/return dates pricing.

I personally could go economy but looking at the Premium Economy does look nice in the photos and DW (all 5ft of her) wants the extra room. It's probably an emotional thing. :)

Last edited:
Lufthansa has excellent service. Travelled to Italy (Turin or Milan) four times, three from Dulles, once from Newark. Stopover was typically Munich or Hamburg.

It's the long time of 12 hours from SFO which is kind of tough I think. Flying from the East Coast could be shorter.

I got the info from Google Flights and the dates were the best pricing for a long stay. I just want DW to feel comfortable flying for such long hours (12 hour flight). Google has a nice matrix price graph which shows different departure/return dates pricing.

I personally could go economy but looking at the Premium Economy does look nice in the photos and DW (all 5ft of her) wants the extra room. It's probably an emotional thing. :)
Well we always did at least economy+ due to DH’s height, and the last few years I somehow managed to snag some really good business class deals (and still at shortly before 60 days out). But at this point, not having flown to Europe since late 2019, it’s business class or bust. We keep getting older, ha ha. Comfort is taking a very high priority these days.

We usually fly from IAH so not so long. I wouldn’t mind longer on the way over there for better sleep.

Last edited:
Well we always did at least economy+ due to DH’s height, and the last few years I somehow managed to snag some really good business class deals (and still at shortly before 60 days out). But at this point, not having flown to Europe since late 2019, it’s business class or bust. We keep getting older, ha ha. Comfort is taking a very high priority these days.

We usually fly from IAH so not so long. I wouldn’t mind longer on the way over there for better sleep.

Same here about not having flown since 2019 (to Italy) and about getting older ;). Business class for this flight is $5314. A bit rich for my tastes.

Here is a video on Premium Economy with the first few minutes the best. I like the idea of a foot rest as it takes the pressure off the thighs. Had this on only one Air France flight a long time ago.

The other thing about booking early is we might be able to get the 2 together instead of in the middle 4.

Last edited:
Obviously nonstop carries a premium. I started tracking prices in August 2022 for a trip to Athens in May 2023. I wanted one stop (nonstops were not available and would have been too much for us anyway). I also wanted my connection to be in the US and "not too short (1 hour) and not too long (20 hours)."

The one I was tracking has a five hour connection--in case my first flight is delayed-I'll find something to do for several hours in the airport.

So the particular flight I was watching started at $950 in August. I bought at $1500 in mid January. I just looked and it is now $2300--the exact same flight.

There are cheaper ones but I had certain requirements which increased the price.

They are all really expensive now--and mine is considered before the high season.

So Luvdogs, it looks like your experience was that buying really early would pay off. Of course, we have all those variations like supply/demand, jet fuel pricing, an individual flight getting booked up, etc.

When we get ready to fly again it will be interesting to see how things have changed - particularly the prices. But going out at least, I gotta have lie flat so I can sleep.

Supply and demand. We flew from Toronto-Lisbon and Faro-Toronto last May/June. Ticket prices two weeks out were the same as when we booked two months out.

Pre covid we flew to Europe every year. Either spring or fall. The last few times we got good fares by booking inside the 60 day window.

But...that the does not imply that it will be the same this summer/fall or for the same destinations.

The advice I typically give people is to understand what an average price is. Understand what you consider to be a great price. When your number hits book. If you plan to wait and get the lowest price chances are you will have a staycation.

Last time we booked with Untied on a Singapore trip we booked economy. 17. hour flight. We upgraded to business based on a United offer for $2K (one way) each three weeks prior to blast off. Lie down seats. We are ok of ten hours or less. IF you want premium economy my advice is to check the airline for the actual seat pitch to understand how much extra real estate you are buying.

Not a huge fan of United.

Last edited:
This is one of the biggest crap shoots in life. I never know the best answer. There is comfort in knowing that you have your seats.

This is one of the biggest crap shoots in life. I never know the best answer. There is comfort in knowing that you have your seats.

Crap shoot is putting it too mildly. Today I see the same seats went up $1000 each. But the "bargain" can still be had by going a day earlier.

Airlines made change fees a thing of the past during Covid. Is that still true?

I would sometimes pay a tiny fee during booking to lock in a given itinerary for 7 days before paying. One time I did actually change our plans. Another time the price actually dropped so I rebooked. Tiny time window though.

One issue with booking super early is they do often change the equipment and timing if it’s far out. Not likely sooner.

You definitely pay a premium for the non stop flights plus going during the summer is normally more expensive. We haven't traveled to Europe in the summer since we had kids in school.

she is Covid shy and would wear a mask.

Just a detail to consider.
I've been traveling a lot lately, mostly by car, but I just finished a couple of flights for the first time in a while. Both flights were around two hours each (domestic travel) and I was intrigued to see that in both airports and both planes, hardly anyone had a mask on. Considerably less than 1% of all the people I saw. And even the few who did wear a mask often wore it in a completely useless configuration (nose exposed, even just as a chinstrap).

So while I can understand why some still do this (immune issues, general nervousness, etc.) and I definitely don't think it's silly (for them), you should be aware of what you'll encounter.

If you have the choice, sometimes buying with miles vice cash makes it easy to cancel (in case price really drops). Haven't done it lately but did in 2019.

I only buy refundable tickets. While you don't get your cash back, you do get a credit to use in the future. As long as you fly fairly frequently, that is some protection, IMO. Just don't let is sit too long.

I have a budget for airfare and if the tickets fall at or below my max, I buy them. There are other ways to save money while traveling besides fretting and fuming over air fare. I have seen people go to historic lengths to save $100 on a ticket, and then squander more than that on high priced meals at some tourist trap restaurant. Or buy over priced museum tickets through some high cost third party outfit.

Last edited:
A strategy we have used with Google flights is to leave the destination field blank. You can then view airfares from your origination point to cities anywhere in the world. This can be a particularly good strategy for traveling to Europe as train travel is typically convenient and economical.

For example, one might find a better deal & flight itinerary by flying into Milan (or Bologna) instead of Rome. Spend a night or two or three, do a bit of sight seeing then take the train to Rome.

We used that strategy for our trip to Europe and the U.K. leaving in early March. We found a better deal & itinerary by flying from Mexico City into Berlin instead of Prague.

I booked a couple of Premium Economy for the first time this year, one to Nice and another to London (late August to mid September).

The hope is that those get upgraded to business via United PlusPoints.

I did pay business for San Francisco to Rome and return from Milan in July though.

I paid around $2000 for the Premium Economy seats.

Demand is suppose to be sky high.

Before the pandemic and also 2021, I found business class fares to Europe for 1800-3000.

So higher fares this year is suppose to be a reflection of surging demand.

You definitely pay a premium for the non stop flights plus going during the summer is normally more expensive. We haven't traveled to Europe in the summer since we had kids in school.

I haven't always found that to be true. I've seen layover tickets cost more in some cases.

Certainly for some difficult to get award tickets, the nonstops are always priced full (2x or more the number of miles).

Last year I flew to Italy twice (Venice in Feb and Rome in Oct). Both times I found changeable (not refundable) business class tickets to Italy from the West Coast for around $2500. The main difference from your itinerary was that these trips had one stop. I know that you are looking at non-stop flights but perhaps the trade off of a lot more comfort for a bit more money will offset the inconvenience of a stop.
BR

Just a detail to consider.
I've been traveling a lot lately, mostly by car, but I just finished a couple of flights for the first time in a while. Both flights were around two hours each (domestic travel) and I was intrigued to see that in both airports and both planes, hardly anyone had a mask on. Considerably less than 1% of all the people I saw. And even the few who did wear a mask often wore it in a completely useless configuration (nose exposed, even just as a chinstrap).

So while I can understand why some still do this (immune issues, general nervousness, etc.) and I definitely don't think it's silly (for them), you should be aware of what you'll encounter.
I flew roundtrip from DC to Paris last Sept/Oct. Two unmasked friends of mine contracted Covid flying home on transatlantic flights a few months before my trip, and another has since contracted Covid on an international flight to Latin America. I asked one of my friends whose symptoms began a few days after getting home, whether she masked on her flights. Her non-response was "Nobody masks in Europe."

My flights were full, and going over, about 25% of passengers were masked, and about 30% were masked on my flight home. Some flight attendants on both flights were masked, too. I haven't been on any domestic flights, so I have no first-hand knowledge relating to the 1% figure you cited for masking.

I only removed my mask to briefly eat or drink from the moment I entered one airport to the moment I exited the arrival airport, about 13 hours despite nonstop flights of 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 hours actual flight time. Long waits for boarding, deplaning, and a very long wait to go thru immigration in Paris in a hall packed with more than 1,000 people. I also masked when I was on the Paris Metro and other trains. I'd estimate only about 10%-20% of other passengers masked on Metro or other trains. But I ate dinners in restaurants every night. I had no intention of spending 3 weeks in France and avoiding restaurants, but I did avoid bars and crowded indoor cafes, though I usually avoid them anyway. For most of my trip I was in the French countryside, but I spent 5 days in Paris. New case rates were quite high in France during my trip.

I did not contract Covid. I'm sure that some luck was involved. I don't have "immune issues" or "general nervousness" (AFAIK), but I believe I was simply being prudent. I wanted to maximize the likelihood of remaining healthy and enjoying a much-needed break from dealing with eldercare matters back home. I had a great trip.

My advice for travel is to do whatever you think is prudent, regardless of what people around you are doing.

My advice for travel is to do whatever you think is prudent, regardless of what people around you are doing.

I agree with that- made two round trips to Europe last year, masked on all flights and in close quarters (one bus, airport trams), did not have symptoms or get COVID to my knowledge. Tested negative before I left Munich in May, tested negative when I got home from E. Europe in September.

This morning I pulled the trigger on my US- London flights in October. On one hand, it's been an expensive year so far (having a lot of windows replaced) and I was hoping to wait till later this year. OTOH, everything I hear/read from the financial news is that people have slowed down on buying Stuff but the people with the money to do so are going nuts on travel. Round trip was $3,900 in Business (booked through BA- AA.com was giving silly results) compared to $5,200 I paid for Munich RT on UA last May. Unless something crazy happens (and we've seen such phenomena :rolleyes:) I doubt prices will go down if I wait.

Back
Top Bottom