Buy air tickets for late August in Italy now?

I only buy refundable tickets. While you don't get your cash back, you do get a credit to use in the future. As long as you fly fairly frequently, that is some protection, IMO. Just don't let is sit too long.
The refundable airfare tickets do give you your cash back.

It’s the non-refundable ones that give you a credit for future use if you don’t use the ticket.

The refundable airfare tickets do give you your cash back.

It’s the non-refundable ones that give you a credit for future use if you don’t use the ticket.

If you buy the basic economy fares, you won’t get a credit. If you buy main economy, then you’ll get a credit, unless you pay extra for refundable.

Personally, I avoid basic fares since I want to pick a seat and I’m more than happy to pay a little bit more for comfort on a 10 hour flight.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I looked and United Premium Economy seems to not offer refundable tickets, just Economy refundable. They don't apparently charge a fee for a schedule change although the tickets would probably go up closer to travel dates.

If you buy the basic economy fares, you won’t get a credit. If you buy main economy, then you’ll get a credit, unless you pay extra for refundable.

Personally, I avoid basic fares since I want to pick a seat and I’m more than happy to pay a little bit more for comfort on a 10 hour flight.
Oh right, I forgot that the newer basic economy is not even eligible for a credit. There must be a separate term for them. Because up until basic economy you did get credit for unused “non-refundable” tickets.

Last edited:
After you pay baggage fees, is there still a big price difference between basic econ and econ?

I thought basic econ was only domestic flights.

Economy does not include checked baggage either. You have to pay extra for checked bags for domestic flights (international allows 1 checked bag). But you are allowed carry on luggage and you can pick and reserve your seat ahead of the flight.

On United only first/business class or certain United credit cards allow one or two free checked bags for domestic flights. Maybe certain loyalty status levels do too.

Last edited:
I can't comment on domestic, but for international on Delta, you have basic economy, which is no seat/baggage, and main economy, which is seat selection and 1 checked bag.

There seems to be a price difference between basic and main economy even after you add in the seat/baggage. I don't care about checked bags, since I only take carry-on, but I want to pick where I'm sitting, so I go with main economy. I have status at Delta, so I also have a shot at getting a free upgrade to comfort+, which is the same as basic/main economy with more leg room.

I haven't flown on United for years, so I'm not sure what they offer.

Have you both thought about getting United credit cards and using the miles towards your trip?

We just booked LAX to GVA via JFK on Delta One business Class for $2918.05 return each or $5836.10 for both tickets. We get lounge access at LAX,JFK, and GVA and lie flat seats on both legs and the standard 2 checked bags each. These fares were for mid April departure and June return. Similar fares were available for July and August. There are many seat sales going on now from Air Canada, United, KLM, Swiss Airlines and others.

We just booked LAX to GVA via JFK on Delta One business Class for $2918.05 return each or $5836.10 for both tickets. We get lounge access at LAX,JFK, and GVA and lie flat seats on both legs and the standard 2 checked bags each. These fares were for mid April departure and June return. Similar fares were available for July and August. There are many seat sales going on now from Air Canada, United, KLM, Swiss Airlines and others.

For which dates?

For which dates?

Departure April 18 - Return June 1. You don't have to stay that long. One, two, three, and four week stays also work for that fare. United is charging $3200 but from LAX to EWR to GVA (lie flat seats both legs). They also have LAX-LHR and LHR to GVA on Swiss Air for $3300. The same fares were available in July through the first week of September.

We never tried the Delta One service but only the Delta domestic first class which is nothing special. But Delta One is supposed to be their revamped business/first class service.

Attachments

• deltaone.jpg
    deltaone.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 23
  • deltaone2.jpg
    deltaone2.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 20
  • deltaone3.jpg
    deltaone3.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 22
  • deltaone4.jpg
    deltaone4.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 30
American Airlines is now also offering the deal. Business class fares were over $5000 for the same legs last week.

Attachments

• flights.jpg
    flights.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 28
Any way you can delay just a little bit longer? That time period is still at the tail end of the August vacation month for Europe.
Check for different prices, and different airports via matrix.itasoftware,com Sometimes even one day can make a difference.
Also look for alternatives like a flight to Germany/Paris and then the next day or two to Rome on a European airline.

Any way you can delay just a little bit longer? That time period is still at the tail end of the August vacation month for Europe.
Agree 100%. The weather in Italy is nice well into October, and the crowds are gone.

Agree 100%. The weather in Italy is nice well into October, and the crowds are gone.

September/October or late April-mid June are our favorite times for Italy, Greece, etc.

Weather is not ultra hot, fewer tourists, slightly less expensive.

In past years the airfare has been less expensive and we found that booking early for the fall time frame was not to our advantage. Last trip the fare we paid a few months out was identical to the fare one week out. But who knows, perhaps covid has changed that.

Just book a fare that, based on your research is good, and forget about it. That is what we are planning to do for a Morocco trip in October. If our target fare hits we will book it.

We're heading to Catania, Italy (Sicily) in October and booked through Lufthansa. I looked at Google flights and found the exact same times, layovers, and prices. But there's an additional charge to pick your seats of $200 Google does not mention. The Lufthansa website is easy to use. I'm beginning to think going directly to the airline and booking rather than Kayak or Travelocity is the best way to go.

Now to rent a car.

A lot of good deals now for July departures to Europe in July starting from $2880 (business class - lie flat seats) departing from LAX.

A lot of good deals now for July departures to Europe in July starting from $2880 (business class - lie flat seats) departing from LAX.

It's odd, available out of LAX but not SFO.

Back
Top Bottom