Anyone use a barking dog alarm?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm wondering if these things work well and really sound realistic. I cannot get the one I found on amazon.com to play, so have never heard one myself.
Anyone use one of these ever?
I wonder how long they last or if they easily break?

Nope, never used one of these since we have the real thing who barks the minute the doorbell rings.

We also have a security system with ADT. Between the two of them, we are pretty well covered :cool:.

I haven't had a need..my three dogs make more than enough noise to frighten all but the most determined who come to my door.

But, one of my aunts did have one of these battery operated bark things. It worked ok at first, but it went through batteries quickly and when the batteries started to wear down, the barking was noticeably "non-dog-like."

My dog doesn't bark, but I'm thinking I could teach him to push the button. :LOL:

Seriously, though, I think those have been rated by Consumer Reports or similar and found to be wanting.

Sarah in SC, can't leave a live dog home alone for a month. Mechanical might be a better idea...unless I want the SPCA on my tail for animal cruelty.

My dad had one and it sounded so artificial that an burglar would probably die on the spot from laughing.
I would rather put a huge food + water bowl and a (dirty) blanket and some bones outside...

Its probably been long enough that I can repeat this suggestion:

HOW TO INSTALL A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM IN THE SOUTH

1. Go to a second-hand store and buy a pair of men's used size 14-16 work boots.

2. Place them on your front porch, along with a copy of Guns & Ammo magazine and your NRA magazines.

3. Put a few giant-sized dog dishes next to the boots and magazine.

4. Leave a note on your door that reads:

"Hey Bubba, Big Jim, Duke, and Slim, I went for more ammunition. Back in about an hour.

Don't mess with the pit bulls -- they attacked the mailman this morning and messed him up real bad. I don't think Killer took part in it, but it was hard to tell from all the blood. Anyways, I locked all four of 'em in the house.

Better wait in your truck till I get back."

My dad had one and it sounded so artificial that an burglar would probably die on the spot from laughing.
I would rather put a huge food + water bowl and a (dirty) blanket and some bones outside...

My Dad also had one after his own dog died but it was so obviously a recording it was laughable.

We used to have 2 outdoor cats and they each had a large dog house placed outside the back door. It certainly kept out people we didn't want to keep out such as the termite inspection man and the parcel delivery guys who would leave packages on the wrong side of the gate for our liking. We had an ADT alarm system as well as the 2 small cats and 2 large dog houses.

Actually, that's a pretty good idea, RonBoyd. But what if you live in a condo? Most don't allow Pit Bulls to live there. The boots, the magazines, the dog dish could work, tho. I like it.

Alan, you had 2 large dog houses for 2 small cats? Can someone say "spoiled?"

Alan, you had 2 large dog houses for 2 small cats? Can someone say "spoiled?"

That was my comprimise to keeping them out of the house :LOL:

And, like this week, we do get spells of cold, frosty weather, so to apease my wife and children who didn't believe fur coats were enough in cold weather I installed a light bulb in each kennel so they could be warm on the cold nights, and that worked great - regular 100w bulbs. :ROFLMAO:

The only downside to owning a dog as far as I'm concerned are days like today. Just back from a short walk to let him burn off a little energy and powder his nose. Damn it was cold. Wind chill at 14 degrees. I don't see how you northerners stand this for several months.

But the dog does do a good job of barking if he hears noises. :)

The only downside to owning a dog as far as I'm concerned are days like today. Just back from a short walk to let him burn off a little energy and powder his nose. Damn it was cold. Wind chill at 14 degrees. I don't see how you northerners stand this for several months.
I assume the same way they wonder how some of us can endure 4-5 months of a brutal summer. Then again, that was supposed to be our penance for not having to endure single-digit wind chills...

But the dog does do a good job of barking if he hears noises. :)

You adapt. I can't stand your heat!

When we had a big, young dog we used to have to take him out to walk no matter what it was like out. 30 below, 50 below windchill. No matter, he had to run.

Layers.

I used to keep bees as a hobby. the best guard dog I ever had was when I had an ailing hive and put it beside the back door so it was easy to keep an eye on. The St. Bernard is more fun!!.

I use a "licking dog alarm".

My two Shelties will lick you to death :rolleyes: ....

I know that there is a problem by your (burgler) laughing :ROFLMAO: ...

You adapt. I can't stand your heat!

Layers.

Can't play golf in this weather, no matter how many layers you have. Golf course closed with greens covered anyway. But I can in the heat, just play early morning. I guess I could take up bowling in the winter.:(

Gave one to my brother for Christmas many years ago as kindof a joke. I admit to taking it out of the box and trying it before wrapping it. As it was approached, it would start with a soft growl that got louder and later transitioned to barking. One of the cats found it quite interesting.

As I mentioned in another thread, we had two (front and back of the house) when we lived in Oakland. We had one in the closet by the front door. It sensed the presence of a person through the wall.

It started with a few "who's there" woofs, and as the person got closer it barked more. It sounded quite realistic. If you stood there for a while you might catch on. I combined it with a big dog bowl of water, plus some dog poop with bits of clothing in it (ha ha).

It got annoying to have it go off whenever someone came to the door. It might be worth it when you are away.

There is one mechanical dog bark machine that you can switch the sounds to waterfall, which I thought sounded kinda cool. It would let you know within 25 feet if someone was outside the door. I liked that idea, anyway.
I'm a little concerned with how many said the barking machines go bad. What a total dead give-away if a robber comes to the door and hears the bark looping or skipping like the old 78 records use to do when scratched.

Lately I am tempted to go with a 12 gauge burglar deterrent.

A coworker told an interesting story about her childhood the other day. Her family fled Afghanistan when she was a small child due to political violence that was about to be directed at their family. Once they got to the US and settled in, her dad was an emergency room Dr. who worked 24 hours on, 24 hours off. The house was set up with a commercial security system, but he took her and her brothers out for shotgun target practice. All the kids were told that if the security alarm went off while he was away, they were to shoot whoever came through the door and he made sure they knew exactly how to do so. :eek:

I like TromboneAl's approach.

I would not advise trying to advertise that you have guns in the house. That will attract the more undesirable scoundrels.

You should try out a barking dog machine before you have to rely on it. Send it back if it sounds too cheesy.

I wouldn't worry about the thing malfunctioning. Most electronic stuff is pretty reliable these days.

Would you share your research with us? I am interested myself.

Back
Top Bottom