"Arch Stanton? Are you sure?"

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those not in the know, that was Tuco's question to Blondie in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (a movie I've seen probably 300 times in my lifetime). Long way off, but DW and I are likely going to Spain July 2017. Plan is to fly into Madrid, spend a few days there, then go to Barcelona for a cruise.
Not sure how I did it, but I convinced DW of the logical sense of us making a pilgrimage to Sad Hill Cemetery, a 2 1/2 hour drive from Madrid. It's not really a cemetery, but there are grave markers for Arch Stanton and Unknown.
So, here's my question: Except for a short trip to Tijuana, I've never driven in another country. Do I need a different license? I presume I have to get different insurance. And, most importantly, can anyone address the safety factor?

You are going to see Arch Stanton's grave?

You Rock!

Fav line, Tuco in bathtub; "When it's time to shoot, shoot, don't talk"

You are going to see Arch Stanton's grave?

You Rock!

Fav line, Tuco in bathtub; "When it's time to shoot, shoot, don't talk"

I'm having trouble uploading the picture, but I swear Iam wearing a T shirt right now, with a picture of Tuco and the [correct] quote. I'll try to upload the picture one more time:

Attachments

• Tuco.jpg
    Tuco.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for correcting me. Excellent movie, one of the best. All the essence of man.

The lust for gold and power, the futility of war and "payback"

Not to mention "Clint Always Wins" - :)

I drove in France, Luxembourg and Germany....

Just rented a car and drove... all the signs are pretty standard and as long as you follow them you should be OK...

The only problem I had was when I got off the autobahn in Germany I could not find how to get back on!!! So, had to take other roads to get back to where I wanted to be... Today I would think that a phone or GPS would be the way to go...

BTW, even though I lived in England for over a year I never drove there... when I was being driven around I would just cringe when they would take a turn and I thought we were going to be hit.... but it was the opposite side so no big deal... I have been told that you pick it up pretty quickly, but I knew I was not going to be there long and did not want to shell out money for a car.... their transportation system is great and I was able to go all over the country with no problem...

US License is all you need. Rental cars, if you book them from here, can be very cheap. Over there they try to up charge you on all the insurance. Handy tip is to use a credit card that covers you as a primary insurer and get a letter to that effect to show the rental company. Then refuse all their insurance offers.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'd pick up an International Driving License from your local AAA to be on the safe side. It is translated into a number of other languages, and is generally accepted everywhere we've driven. I think they are around $15.

Also, I think Spain shares the EU requirement that you have a vest and a couple of fold-flat triangles in the car, though I imagine your rental car agency supplies that. We made sure to buy them ahead of time when we shipped our own vehicle over there.

We have driven in Spain several times. Drivers are good, roads are fine. Absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Most rentals are standard transmission. We find it more cost advantageous to do the rental before we leave...Autoeurope is our preference. Much less expensive than a walk in rental.

I have had an international D/L for thirty years. It is not really a licence..more of a translation of your license into several languages. Some countries require it. Might need it if you have an accident. We have rented cars throughout Europe for many years. I have never been asked once by a rental office for the international lic. They want my regular one.

I'd pick up an International Driving License from your local AAA to be on the safe side. It is translated into a number of other languages, and is generally accepted everywhere we've driven. I think they are around $15.

Also, I think Spain shares the EU requirement that you have a vest and a couple of fold-flat triangles in the car, though I imagine your rental car agency supplies that. We made sure to buy them ahead of time when we shipped our own vehicle over there.

We always spring for the Int'l license from AAA. We have only been asked for it once - but it was this past summers trip - the one car rental we did in Aix-en-Provence.

Friends have gotten great deals on cars from Sixt. I have used autoeurope several times as well. Sometimes it's cheaper to book through a different country's website (and pre-pay in their currency). I booked a car through autoeurope.ca for an Italy trip several years ago - saved me about $100 for the 1 week rental compared to autoeurope.com.....

Thanks everyone. Great - and reassuring - info. I was looking forward to seeing Spain and the subsequent cruise, but I have to confess: if we flew into Madrid, drove the 2 1/2 hours to Sad Hill, and then went home I'd still be a happy man!
Can't wait to take a few selfies next to Arch Stanton's grave marker!
[BTW I guess DW really loves me to put up with this obsession of mine:dance:]

You Rock Baby!

A close second "Once Upon a Time in the West", but it was a dud because nobody wanted to see Henry Fonda play evil.

And the fist full and the few dollars more and...I just love this stuff - :)

drove the 2 1/2 hours to Sad Hill, and then went home I'd still be a happy man!

My late wife & I once drove a day out of our way to visit Rorke's Drift, so I know how you feel......enjoy your trip!

Back
Top Bottom