Best, Worst, Value hotel breakfast

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Many hotels these days offer a breakfast as part of the stay. I am wondering what you think are/were the Best, the Worst, and the best Value given the room rate.

For me:

Best - a hotel in Vienna that had a luscious spread of hot and cold meats, pastries, eggs fruit, cakes, cheeses, and champagne.

Worst - a chain hotel In the California dessert. Nice rooms, good rates , but breakfast was cheap cold cereal with skim milk, heavily, diluted orange juice, and mini sugary pastries. No coffee! They should have skipped it.

Best value - a Quality in in Utah, many choice including some hot foods all for a very reasonable room rate.

Best Western... Macon Ga.
Nice local lady "chef" ... cooks to order, and reminds me of my mother.
Year and a half ago... can't imagine how they could afford it at the wow-low rates...

The best included breakfast I have enjoyed was at Henderson Park Inn in Destin, Fl. We always look forward to staying there.

Some of the best breakfasts I have had have been at B&Bs. Last year I stayed in a wonderful one in Alberta for $99 per night. The breakfasts were gourmet, to die for, and served in an elegant dining room with crystal and silver.

I enjoy Residence Inn, for the breakfast and the kitchen ability to cook/reheat other meals and snacks in the room. On our last trip they were cheaper than Embassy Suites, had a great breakfast as well as the additional kitchen amenities.

Drury Inns offers a pretty good breakfast and dinner (both free). And free cocktails (in most locations). Rates are pretty cheap. They don't cover the whole US, but provide a good value and reasonably good free food.

If you have a family, it's a really good deal for most of your day's meals for free.

I have to agree with Meadbh . The best breakfasts I have had have been at B&B's or boutique hotels . Chain breakfasts are usually pretty carb laden and bland .

Many hotels in Europe include b'fast, but it's always good to ask!

Last month we found that yes, they had a nice b'fast, but....there was a 29Euro ($34) PER PERSON charge! Yikes!

Because it is often included, people might sit down and just have coffee and a croissant only to find a $80 per couple bill waiting for them!

For chain hotels, my favorite has been the Denver Marriott (downtown). Awesome breakfast buffet, including cooked-to-order omelets and great service. Not cheap, and not included in room charge, but top quality.

For a free breakfast, the majority of Hampton Inns offer at least something decent.

I've also found Hampton Inns to have consistently decent breakfasts for chain hotel, and most will pack you a sack meal for the road if you ask at the desk.
Some B & B's and independent hotels can be truly outstanding, but need to do homework to find the best ones.

Worst was a hotel near my son's University - they only left BF out til 8am first of all! And it was watery coffee and cello wrapped sweet buns.....yuck! And the attitude of the staff there was laughable - check out time was 10 am - they walked in at 10am sharp and started cleaning up while we were packing up!!! Unreal.

Best was Embassy Suites and some of the Holiday Inn express I stayed in.

I've always been satisfied with the breakfast at the Fairfield Inn (lowest-end properties of the Marriott chain).

Its kinda funny about amenities at Marriott hotels. The lowest-end places (Fairfield) usually have a micro-fridge and microwave oven in the room and there's free coffee and tea available in the lobby 24/7. It's very functional and has what I want when I'm traveling. Go "upscale" to a Courtyard or Marriot and the furniture in the rooms is nicer and the rooms are bigger, but there won't be a microwave or fridge and the coffee is only available downstairs for a few hours in the morning. And no free breakfast (unless you've negotiated a special deal). All of the places are clean and in good repair.

Among cheap places I've also had good free breakfasts at Drury Inn.

I always like to tell one of the workers at the Embassy Suites ... "hey, tell the Manager I appreciate him / her having a receptions for us. It's very nice of them. "

funny looks back

I've also found Hampton Inns to have consistently decent breakfasts for chain hotel, and most will pack you a sack meal for the road if you ask at the desk.
Some B & B's and independent hotels can be truly outstanding, but need to do homework to find the best ones.

+1. Just right for me, simple and quick.

I like the convenience of breakfast at hotels, and they're decent (a lot of variety if nothing else) at Hampton Inns so I stay at them often (enough that I have a free stay coming up next month :D). The best breakfasts I've had with accommodations have been at expensive hotels (so not really worth it as a package). Mercifully I don't remember my worst hotel breakfasts, probably passed on sight...

We like Embassy Suites the most and Hampton Inn next.

We like Embassy Suites the most and Hampton Inn next.

I guess I better not say anything negative about the Hampton's breakfasts but then again we keep comparing them to the "to die for" breakfasts in Germany and Switzerland.

We do like the rooms and beds and stay with them exclusively.

I have to agree with Meadbh . The best breakfasts I have had have been at B&B's or boutique hotels . Chain breakfasts are usually pretty carb laden and bland .

B&B are the best for me also. Although I have been pleased with Embassy suite breakfasts. To many mediocre breakfasts for me to pick out a worst.

I think most chain hotels just order whatever pastry/bagels are available locally, so I think the location of the hotel makes a huge difference.

I stayed at a Shilo Inn in Portland for a couple of days last year and you could have a sit down breakfast in the restaurant with a choice from three different items off the menu to include coffee. Or you could have coffee drinks and breakfast rolls near the lobby. A barista made lattes, etc. The coffee was good and breakfast was free except for the tip. But my favorites hotels for breakfast are those in the south that serve good biscuits.

And I agree with another poster that Fairfield is a good choice. Marriott also has the Townplace Suites with a kitchenette. My overall favorites for work travel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom