Book Europe flights now?

BrianB

Recycles dryer sheets
A question for travel booking experts out there. We're planning a Europe trip for the fall - two to three weeks, including destinations in The Netherlands, Germany and France. Dates and exact itinerary are flexible.

With the "Brexit" vote is it likely that flight prices will drop further? Maybe better deals on hotels?

We've been watching and found some open-jaw flights for $650 to $850. Cheapest option we have found is $505 RT to Munich, but that wouldn't be our ideal route. Haven't booked yet, but we are ready to lock it in any time we feel we have a good deal.

We are in Minneapolis, so some of the great deals from NY or DC aren't that great by the time we add on the cost to get to the east coast.

A question for travel booking experts out there. We're planning a Europe trip for the fall - two to three weeks, including destinations in The Netherlands, Germany and France. Dates and exact itinerary are flexible.

With the "Brexit" vote is it likely that flight prices will drop further? Maybe better deals on hotels?

We've been watching and found some open-jaw flights for $650 to $850. Cheapest option we have found is $505 RT to Munich, but that wouldn't be our ideal route. Haven't booked yet, but we are ready to lock it in any time we feel we have a good deal.

We are in Minneapolis, so some of the great deals from NY or DC aren't that great by the time we add on the cost to get to the east coast.

I doubt the flights will get much cheaper - in fact the opposite may be true as demand is likely to pick up quite a bit, now that the price of everything else in UK/Europe (except Switzerland...) dropped due to the deteriorating pound/euro.

There was a terrific sale on flights to Europe that ended on June 7. I picked up my September tickets then and it was essentially half price to what we usually pay.

I don't know that prices will drop much further from what is available now. Sub $900 prices sound good to me! I suspect the terrorism attacks already caused more fear from tourists than EU politics ever will.

Some extra folks might head to Britain though, based on the cheaper pound.

I had already bought tickets to Norway early in the year, but I had a couple of big vouchers from taking offers on oversold flights. I would run over to Britian with the pound so low, but I am still w*rking for 9 months, and have my vacation committed. Maybe next year.

You can get to Orlando cheap on Spirit Airlines or Frontier Airlines.

European flights are very inexpensive all the time from Orlando since Norwegian Air Shuttle is flying to London Gatwick and some of the Scandinavian airports from there.

We recently flew into London and caught a Norwegian connector flight into Rome for about the same price as the same flight into London alone. Our round trip was well under $800.

The sale might be back on again? Google flights shows a drop back to the big discount prices of three weeks ago on our fall Europe trip.

The sale might be back on again? Google flights shows a drop back to the big discount prices of three weeks ago on our fall Europe trip.

Dang. I'm seeing $600-$650 round trip tickets to Europe, from the west coast, leaving end of August. That's an amazing price.

The flights I see are mostly Delta, leaving out of Seattle or LA. KLM too, but they are a partner with Delta. $607 non-stop on KLM from LA to Amsterdam.

The flights I see are mostly Delta, leaving out of Seattle or LA. KLM too, but they are a partner with Delta. $607 non-stop on KLM from LA to Amsterdam.
Usually several airlines are on sale at the same time. Delta doesn't fly out of our airport so I don't usually track it.

I saw KLM Cityhopper dropped a flight I am tracking from €136 to €109, but I can't figure out whether there is any sale going on, and it only seems to affect this one particular time - none of the other flights have dropped in price. So it may just be the normal getting close to 60 days price drop.

While we just booked today, going to Brussels via Montreal on Transat, our second choice was going through Toronto and JFK to Brussels for about $800 USD. That price includes the uncomfortable seat option as standard.

Last edited:
Changed our plans on the weekend. We plan to be in Halifax in mid Aug.

Saw a great air deal to Dublin, with a one week stopover in Newfoundland, for $550 US (710 Cad) so we booked it. On our bucket list but not where we thought we would be in Sept!

We are seeing lots of transatlantic air offers for both the summer months and the fall. Bookings must be weak.

I've been seeing fares under $500 in the fall ORD to AMS and CDG. Earlier today the Paris fares were $501 thru May 2017! They were good flights too, including non-stop.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Great prices!

I paid $1300 for open jaw CDG/AMS from MFE last year, not nonstop though. Late May so it was within the "high season". Off season might have been $200 cheaper.

Last edited:
It almost makes you think Fall tourism bookings are down substantially because of the thousands and thousands of refugees pouring into certain countries and major cities.

When we were in Turkey and Greece last month, the store keepers were very concerned. Tourism is down 65% approximately, and their whole economies are tourist based. In Turkey, 2 cruise ships were the norm--vs. 5 ships in port on an average day.

As far as the airlines go, when they go unprofitable, they'll mothball airplanes and drop flights to control the supply and demand. I see the low prices as just temporary, and if you have the money, by all means buy those tickets now.

I just book a flight from LAX to Paris with a return flight from Toulouse via Madrid for Late Sep for $683 With American Airlines. It will be my first time to France and 2nd time to Europe. The plans are to tour Normandy then head to the Pyrenees for some cycling. It's good to be retired!

Our plan is to rent a car in Paris and drop it in Toulouse 9 days later when we are done. So we will drive from Normandy to Saint Saven Pyrenees. It looks like an 8-hour drive without stops so we might split it into two days and stop along the way. 2-days in Normandy, 2 days driving to Pyrenees and 4 days of riding plus travel days on each end of the trip.

It's just a shame that all those heading to Europe in the coming weeks paid $1500-1700 for their round trip flights.

And the places we'd like to visit in the far north have weather that most often deteriorates September.1st

We just booked a flight to Dublin. We had the same thing happen on this flight as we did on our flight to Bangkok in January.

We got the routing, with stopover, from matrix it. We called the airline and asked for the tickets....same dates, flights, fare codes. Within 10 minutes of each other. Airline price was 18 percent higher than expedia. We went with expedia. Behold, our tickets were issued by WestJet and billed directly to us by WestJet. Had the exact same experience with Orbitz tickets to Bangkok but savings was considerably higher.

Back
Top Bottom