Chip and Pin Cards

I am currently travelling in Spain. There was only once when I tried to buy bus tickets at the airport that the US chip card was not accepted, I had to use a card with a real pin number. Many times the chip cards were OK. American Express card has been declined many times.

I am currently travelling in Spain. There was only once when I tried to buy bus tickets at the airport that the US chip card was not accepted, I had to use a card with a real pin number. Many times the chip cards were OK. American Express card has been declined many times.

It does still happen. The mero vending machine in Portugal DK'd my Chase Sapphire Chip & Sig card yesterday. Didn't bother trying to use my long-dormant Pen Fed Chip & Pin card. Just used cash.

That's an encouraging sign. But still, be aware that some unattended European machines won't accept cards (even true chip & PIN cards) issued outside the EU.
Apparently, now that newly US issued debit/ATM cards are chip enabled, folks are having good luck using these cards in unattended European machines.

Our Schwab ATM/debit card already has a chip. I just called to get our Fidelity Check Cards replaced with the new chip enabled version.

Last edited:
Just got a new Amex card to replace my Costco Amex.

No pin. :nonono:
You can request a PIN - but that would only be for cash advances.

Why are you surprised? Amex cards are not chip and PIN. The old Costco Amex wasn't. So no changes there.

The new US cards are chip and signature, not chip and PIN. This is why they generally don't work in unattended machines outside of the US where chip and PIN is the standard. for such things as subway and train tickets. Even if you request a PIN be issued, the cards are generally set up to default to signature mode. There are looooooooooong discussions of this on frequent traveler forums.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom