Join Early Retirement Today

Compression socks for long air travel
Old 06-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Compression socks for long air travel

Would appreciate your comments on using compression socks to minimize lower leg swelling and discomfort on long haul air travel (10+ hours).

Also, please share the brand name and compression level of the socks you purchased.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Michael

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Rather than socks, I recommend simply getting up and walking back and forth the length of the cabin every hour or so. I like an aisle seat partly for this reason.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recently discovered Comrad compression socks, and love them. They are comfortable, nice-looking...and they work. My leg veins aren't the greatest (it's hereditary) and the Comrads help prevent the weariness and pain that always accompanied long travel days. They come in several sizes for men and women. https://www.comradsocks.com/pages/our-story

Believe me, if just getting up and down and walking now and then were enough, I wouldn't spend the money on special socks.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've done the Boston to Shanghai run (18+ hours) more times than I can count (literally, maybe 50-60 times) and the even more dreaded Paris to Kuala Lumpur leg.

I always used compression socks. Can't remember the brand.

It's one of those things that you'll never know if they helped but you'd hate to not wear them and find out. I've witnessed a few of the "Narita Heart Attacks" first-hand.

Walking around does help but sometimes you might fall asleep for several hours and not get that exercise in.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our good friend just RT from West Coast to Florence/Greece. 11 or 12 hours IIRC. She has MD (She is one of Jerry's kids) She wore compression socks on the way over. Did not on the way back. She said they were too hot. She had significant swelling at home on her return. It took several days for her to be able to move around much. I don't know if the MD contributed or not

I would use them if there is any risk.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love using compression socks for long flights. Look on eBay, non branded ones are a fraction of the cost of a name brand model and they all work just about the same. I buy wool blend ones. They seem to breath better.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Highly recommend. I just buy them for $20 at the airport kiosks (because I forget about them ) for a trip in coach longer than three hours. They really work for me to keep my lower legs from swelling, which is never a problem for me otherwise.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #8

We do not wear them but we do get up and walk around. We take several long (10hrs plus) flights per year. So far so good.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #9

I bought and use the Jobst brand (from Kroger, I think) when I take long trips (fly or drive). They work fine for me. I had a below-the-knee clot about 8 years ago, so I'm probably at risk for more of them, this is cheap insurance. I also make it a point to get up occasionally and to flex/relax the calf and leg muscles while seated. Opinions differ, but I always make sure to take a baby aspirin each day starting a few days before I go (I take one daily, anyway, now).
Hand-wash these stockings, don't run them through the dryer.

A deep vein embolism, or a pulmonary embolism that starts as a deep vein embolism, is a serious problem anytime. It's a bigger issue when you are locked in that aluminum tube and at least 5 hours away from real help.
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Compression calf sleeves are another option. They won't get worn out in the toes or heels since they don't have them, and they can be reused without washing for your return flights. Zensah and CEP are good brands. I wear them occasionally during and after long runs.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I get up and walk around too. Drink lots of liquids, go to restroom, stand around a bit and stretch. Unfortunagely I'm not much of a sleeper on our 10+ hour flights from the West Coast.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Compression calf sleeves are another option. They won't get worn out in the toes or heels since they don't have them, and they can be reused without washing for your return flights. Zensah and CEP are good brands. I wear them occasionally during and after long runs.
This is what DH wears, and he wears them at home a lot too.

Actually I’m not sure what problem he is trying to solve as his legs don’t swell. Maybe more to do with varicose veins.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This is what DH wears, and he wears them at home a lot too.

Actually I’m not sure what problem he is trying to solve as his legs don’t swell. Maybe more to do with varicose veins.
Maybe they just feel better with improved circulation?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Maybe they just feel better with improved circulation?
He started a few years ago. The much older neighbor was using them and he decided it made sense for him, and has been using them for years. He is tall, and most of that is his long legs.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

DH wears the Pelisy brand. Purchased on Amazon for 10.99 p/p, compression strength 20/30 recommended by his medical people. They are listed as soccer socks graduated athletic.
socaldonnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #16

I sometimes wear them and I sometimes don't when I travel (up to 12 hours on a plane). I see or feel no difference whatsoever when I wear them, but that doesn't mean they are no good. It just means I can't tell if they're helping or not.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:08 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I've done the Boston to Shanghai run (18+ hours) more times than I can count (literally, maybe 50-60 times) and the even more dreaded Paris to Kuala Lumpur leg.

I always used compression socks. Can't remember the brand.

It's one of those things that you'll never know if they helped but you'd hate to not wear them and find out. I've witnessed a few of the "Narita Heart Attacks" first-hand.

Walking around does help but sometimes you might fall asleep for several hours and not get that exercise in.
18 hrs - Hats Off to you sir !

Been working international for near to 20 years and our longest flight from Africa is about 12 to 13 hours - depending headwinds.

18 hours ..... Would not enjoy that flight for sure.

God willing I'll retire at years end and ms gamboolgal and I will most likely not never get another stamp in our passports again.

18 hrs.....dam
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:38 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I wore them on an 8 hr flight and I'm not sure if they helped or not. It did seem like the few walks I took around the cabin helped. IMO, it helps if things are moving after sitting a while.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:45 AM   #19

Quote:
I get up and walk around too. Drink lots of liquids, go to restroom, stand around a bit and stretch.
+1