Contactless cards on London Underground

Alan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We just returned from 2 weeks visiting Paris and London via train, metro and London Underground (Tube). Train to Paris was easy, get on in the north of England (Darlington) at 8:27am, one change of train and step off in the center of Paris at 2:21pm. (1:21pm UK time). Passport control was in London, get to the station 45 minutes before departure, and similar in Paris on the return journey.

I used my contactless US credit card a lot in Paris, larger bills needed a signature. In London you can “tap on and tap off” going through the tube turnstiles using the same credit card and get the best rates based on the time you are traveling. Our daughter from California, who we had met up with in Paris, did not have a contactless card so I just let her use my US CC for the tube. On the Friday we did 2 trips out and back during the day and in the evening out and back to the theatre. Total cost of the 4 journeys on my UK card was £7, and $9.01 on my US card for DD’s 4 journeys. There is a maximum daily cap of ~£10 if you travel many legs or at peak times.

No need to buy an “Oyster card” and load it with money as you go, although I expect there are good deals to be had for locals who spend a lot of time traveling in London.

London buses, like our local buses, also accept contactless credit cards so no need to try and have cash in hand.

Last edited:
The light rail in Vancouver works this way too. It's very convenient to not have to figure out the ticket machines when you only want to go from the cruise port to the airport.

I did wonder what would happen if DH and I had used one of our credit cards where both have the same number. At the time, our Costco Citi card was the only contactless one we had and that has different numbers on each card.

I did wonder what would happen if DH and I had used one of our credit cards where both have the same number. At the time, our Costco Citi card was the only contactless one we had and that has different numbers on each card.

A good question and I would guess that it would be okay since even cards with the same number are unique with that security number on the back of the card. In London we didn’t risk it, my wife used her contactless debit card rather than her credit card which has the same number as mine.

Thanks, Alan. That's good to know. Now that contactless cards are becoming more common here (I recently got my second one), it's good to have more options.

There's a graphic symbol on the card.

contactless-payments-1422935396-1542685146599.jpg

You'll see the little wifi symbol somewhere on the card. That tells you it's contactless. It's also a little heavier than a regular card.

^^^ I learn something new every day... I did not know about that symbol thing. I have one card like that and did not realize it. Thanks!

Thanks. This is good to know. Last time we used Oyster cards. They saved us a fair amount of money. And we got a refund on the balance when we cashed them in at the tube station just prior to boarding the easybus to Gatwick! This will save us bothering with Oyster cards next time.

Last edited:
Thanks, Alan! So timely! We will be in London for five days beginning 11/29 (no we are not coming with the White House visitors) and we are the people blocking the walkway at the Oystercard machine. We will definitely be tapping at the turnstyles now.

Thanks, Alan! So timely! We will be in London for five days beginning 11/29 (no we are not coming with the White House visitors) and we are the people blocking the walkway at the Oystercard machine. We will definitely be tapping at the turnstyles now.

I hope you have weather as nice as we did last week. Every night the forecast was for rain next day and every day the rain had come early overnight and we had dry days. It was the same with Paris the previous week, but warm and sunny as well as dry. We ate outside two days, on the Champs-Elyseese and on the banks of the Seine, plus a boat cruise down the Seine had everyone on the open deck on top.

Aha. I have a contactless VISA card. Maybe some day I will discover some way to use it. Or maybe bad guys will scan it in my pocket and charge away.

^^^ I learn something new every day... I did not know about that symbol thing. I have one card like that and did not realize it. Thanks!

I had a couple new cards with this feature, but did not have the habit of using it even after I found out what that is.

Then, the bank sent us a message saying the first time we used it, it would credit us with a couple of bucks.

Costco credit cards have had this feature for a while. We did not use it until seeing the cashier did it himself.

It's the same thing as inserting the cards with a chip vs. swiping the magnetic strips. It takes a little while to develop the habit,

Aha. I have a contactless VISA card. Maybe some day I will discover some way to use it. Or maybe bad guys will scan it in my pocket and charge away.

Don't know how real this is, but I have read warnings on the Web about wrapping your cards in tin foil. :D

Perhaps this stealing method is more common in Europe on board the metro or buses which are crowded. Here in the US, it is harder for a thief to encroach your personal space.

Was your one stop prior to Paris, At St Pancras? We stay at the Marriott right there at Kings Cross. Love that area, we will be going over to Paris early next year, i was going to buy Oyster cards but to hear my contactless will work and i get more Marriott Points !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know how real this is, but I have read warnings on the Web about wrapping your cards in tin foil. :D

Perhaps this stealing method is more common in Europe on board the metro or buses which are crowded. Here in the US, it is harder for a thief to encroach your personal space.

Yes it can/could be a real thing, Get the RFID protecting card carrier or RFID wallet.

We have had contactless cards for a number of years. We have used them extensively at home and while traveling internationally. Australia was about as cashless as it gets. Greece this past fall was not far behind.

To day none of our cards have never been compromised in this manner.

Was your one stop prior to Paris, At St Pancras? We stay at the Marriott right there at Kings Cross. Love that area, we will be going over to Paris early next year, i was going to buy Oyster cards but to hear my contactless will work and i get more Marriott Points !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the trains from from NE run from Scotland down the East into Kings Cross which as you know is adjacent to St Pancras so just walk over the street.

Payments are currently limited to a maximum of £30 (it was previously £20), and are typically used for small retail purchases.

To be honest i don't think i ever have tapped my card, always insert... I will try the tap with a >$38.87 :LOL: at cash register and see if they deny it....

good stuff in that article.

I actually don’t normally even take the card out of my wallet. All the contactless terminals over here are also pay by phone which don’t have a limit so I just use my iPhone or Apple Watch. To use the Tube and bus however does require a contactless card.

Just checked my wallet and none of my 3 credit cards are contactless.... the card that we use the most is Citi Double Cash card... I wonder if they issue a contactless version. What are the benefits of having a contactless card if you spend most of your time in the US?

I wonder if they issue a contactless version. What are the benefits of having a contactless card if you spend most of your time in the US?

None whatsoever which is why I started this thread in the Travel Forum :)

... What are the benefits of having a contactless card if you spend most of your time in the US?

Convenience?

As mentioned, Costco Citi Cards are contactless, and the terminals at the checkout lines can read them.

The problem at Costco is that you still have to take your card out of the wallet to show the cashier, as it is also the membership card.

Back
Top Bottom