Using Contactless Amex card on London Underground

jj

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone used their US Amex card to tap in and out on the tube in London? This will be my first time on the tube in a few years, not been since the Oyster card days.

The last time I was in the UK I had a credit card unexpectedly declined at a gas pump.

I'm just fretting that I may have trouble with 'contactless' on the tube.

All experiences welcome :)

Not tried an Amex card but have used my US contactless credit card on the London Tube.

Looks like US Amex will work.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay... pay an adult,the Netherlands aren't accepted)

Contactless cards
If your bank card shows the contactless payment symbol, you can use it to pay as you go straight away. You'll pay an adult rate fare.

Many contactless cards issued outside the UK can be used to pay as you go for travel (overseas transaction fees may apply):

American Express (AMEX)
MasterCard and Maestro (some cards issued in the USA, Canada and the Netherlands aren't accepted)

Last edited:
Since you can use Apple Pay by tapping your phone or your watch on the Tube, and since you can set any card you like to be the default for Apple Pay, I would think there should be no problem.

I don;t think the Oyster card is gone, is it? Oh noooooo, is it?

Thannks - good! Phew: close call. I love my Oyster card (and also, I still have a balance on it, though I can't remember how large....). ;)

Meaningful for me, too. From before the pandemic, I still have two Oyster cards (for me and DW) with nearly £20 on each. It would really frost me if that was lost.

Meaningful for me, too. From before the pandemic, I still have two Oyster cards (for me and DW) with nearly £20 on each. It would really frost me if that was lost.

They still work fine afaik. I know someone in the USA who had an Oyster card with money on it and she gave it to a friend to use up on her London trip last month.

For those using a contactless credit card or phone they work great and get the same or similar multi stop rates provided you use the same card on the same journey.

Last edited:
My iPhone worked great with my Visa card set as my contactless travel card on several Tube rides in September. I hope your Amex does too. It was so nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom