costa rica vacation

tightasadrum

Full time employment: Posting here.
What a great way to spend a week! I got back on the 5th from a week in Costa Rica. Three couples. A five bedroom villa complete with a housekeeper to clean and do laundry, a cook to prepare gorgeous, gourmet meals, and an English-speaking bartender who tend to everything (transportation, drinks of all types, tours, local customs you-name-it). As much as I enjoyed myself, I think the women enjoyed it the most. The weather was decent even though it was the beginning of rainy season. DW swore she would never travel anywhere south of the border (she hates heat, grew up in Ga? go figure), yet she's ready to go back. I recommend CR to anyone looking for a place to kick back and relax.

A few observations:

1. Exchange rate is not an issue; they take $USD. I pulled $100 cash from an ATM. It only cost me $1.50 for the ATM transaction. Believe me, Scotland last spring was far more costly just to get pounds.

2. Prices are negotiable if you want to work at it. We talked about going fishing. First boat wanted $475, but we finally got an equivalent boat for $275. Ended up going snorkeling instead for $40 each.

3. Tourist resorts and villas are very nice. But locals live in very basic housing.

4. Daily construction worker wage for Costa Rican is $10/day; they pay $2/day to Nicaraguan immigrate workers. I guess every country has some sort of immigrate issues.

5. The water and the food are not a health issue at all.

6. The local people are very pleasant. This may be because tourism is their major industry.

7. If you want it, you can find just about every fast food restaurant we have here. They also have Walmart (with a different name), Target, etc. These stores were mostly in the "cities" however. We didn't see them in Coco Beach, the little town nearest to our villa.

8. monkeys, birds, iguanas, parrots, and other weird creatures abound

I'd certainly go again. The area I was visiting was on the northwestern coast. We flew into the Liberia airport.

Cost: $115/person per day (plus tip) complete. It was the "off" season. BTW, the villa we stayed in is for sale if anyone is interested: somewhere around $850000.

Oh, BTW: watch out for those tropical drinks until you get the hang of it.

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds great! CR is on my list of places to visit, maybe next spring.

Any pictures you care to share? Also, I assume they take credit cards? How about speaking Spanish vs English?

Thanks! :cool:

I've got pictures, i just don't know how to attach them.
Yes, they take credit cards. I did have a problem at one bar in Coco when the food server got colonas and dollars mixed up. It caused a mess. The owner ended up charging me half of what the bill was just to make it go away. But normally, it's not a problem. The language thing is normally not an issue, but it can be. I was amazed how well many of the people spoke English.

To attach pictures, go to "reply."

In the next page, under "additional options," click "Manage attachments" under "attach files."

Then you can select the pictures from your hard drive and attach. I think you can only do 3 in the first round, and 3 more after, so 6 total per post (I could be wrong on this).

Thanks again for sharing your good experience with us!

Costa Rica pictures

Sorry it took so long. Here are a few pictures from Costa Rica. I'll send a few more later. I have to run. Retirement keeps me pretty busy it seems.

Attachments

• costa rica 2008124.jpg
    costa rica 2008124.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 14
  • costa rica 2008146.jpg
    costa rica 2008146.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 10
  • costa rica 2008044.jpg
    costa rica 2008044.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for sharing about your trip! We have Costa Rica on our list of places to go, for sure. I have a group of friends that we do group vacations with. Do you have a link to the villa you stayed at? Did the cost include your meal and drinks?

Simple Girl,

I didn't arrange the gig, so I don't have the web link. However, I do have an email address if you want to contact them. If they have a website, you can get it from them.

It is: villaparaiso@mindspring.com (The owner is in Atlanta)

They own probably half-dozen or so villas in the area. And with the market and the economy in the doldrums, you can probably get a pretty good deal.

Our package (three couples) included maid service, cook and bartender, in other words, everything you need on vacation. It took me over two weeks to become even slightly useful again after returning home. Check it out.

I just saw the photos. They are beautiful! I don't know how I missed them earlier.

I have been doing some reading on Costa Rica. I think I will go next spring. Thanks for the inspiration!

GoodSense,

I'm afraid the pictures only give a partial picture of the real thing. My travel mates are already lobbying for a return visit. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did if you can go.

Back
Top Bottom