Florida vacation?

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all,

I'm thinking about taking my three kids (14, 10, 8) to Florida during their spring break - last week of March, first week of April - to see Disney World, Epcot Center, Sea World, and Cape Canaveral.

My BIL is a Disney employee so we may get some excellent coupons from him.

Advice welcome on where to stay, how long to stay, how to save money on the trip, other things in the area that might be interesting, etc.

2Cor521

Stay somewhere that has good transportation to the parks . We've stayed inside the park and while it is convenient it's more expensive . They have so over built hotels near Disney that you can usually get a good rate with food thrown in for the kids . I'd check travelzoo. You basically want to park you car and take Disney transportation .

Just down the road from Cape Canaveral is Ron Jon's Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach, a great source for long-wearing, high quality, good looking T-shirts.
Location Information
You'll probably want the long sleeved variety for your home territory. Might be an interesting break from the rest of your itinerary, although Ron Jon's is a bit over the top touristy in itself.

Btw, the Kennedy Space Center is just fabulous. I would plan to spend a full day there, between the tours, IMAX, displays, etc. For me as a boomer who watched the Gemini and Apollo launches at school in a b/w TV set with aluminum foil from someone's sandwich aiding the rabbit ears' reception, it was just awe-inspiring.

Its gonna be crowded so take the advice of staying where there is a shuttle or trying to stay at a disney resort, they had been offering some great deals so maybe your BIL can hook you up with a great discount. When you are at the parks, get the speed passes for the things you really want to do first thing, kinda have a plan on what you want to see before you get there. After you get your speed passes then start with the least popular attractions that you want to see and fit them in around your passes for the popular rides. You can bring stuff in the park, so if you want to save some money bring snacks etc with you. I would splurge and get the park hopper passes that never expire for disney, with an employee discount you may really be able to save some bucks. Kids may not be too excited about the Kennedy Space Center, earlier this year I took two of my nephews ages 8 and 12. Besides the shuttle ride simulator their most memorable moment was when a bird flew down and took a french fry out of my moms hand when we were eating lunch (no she wasn't feeding it) it was actually very funny. I would recommend a kayak tour in cocoa beach. Very cool and you will likely be able to get up close and personal with manatees. Tours last a couple of hours, and are not that expensive and do are not too challenging. The tours are in the banana or indian rivers along and thru the mangroves. If this is something you are interested in let me know I may be able to get a discount from one of the operators that we have used several times.

Have fun

Jim

Speaking of the Kennedy Space Center, I have a coupon good for $5 off admission fees (for up to 6 people). Expires 4/30/2010.

If anyone's interested, PM me with your snail mail address and I will pop it in the mail to you.

Cheers,
Red-y

Back
Top Bottom