Warm weather vacation

hausfrau

Recycles dryer sheets
Next spring break, my family (me, husband, 10 y.o. child) would like to go someplace warm (we live where winters are long). It would be the end of March. We would like to avoid the college spring break scene and probably prefer to not stay at an all-inclusive kind of place if possible. This is our first vacation and I have no idea where to start! I look online and get overwhelmed.

Husband suggested Costa Rica or Belize. Daughter suggested Florida or the Bahamas. We mostly want to just get away, but husband would like some sightseeing opportunities. He's not big on beach vacations, but daughter and I would probably like it a lot! I'm open to anything, to be honest. I wouldn't mind practicing my Spanish, but that's not a requirement. I just want it to be relatively stress free and warm. I did think about Spain, if the flights aren't too hard. I don't even know where to begin.

Any suggestions? Is it getting too late to book places?

Would you mind sharing a general budget number..it would help narrow down the choices

Would you mind sharing a general budget number..it would help narrow down the choices

There's not really a budget. :dance: I don't think luxury accommodations are necessary, but I would like someplace safe and comfortable- preferably with a swimming pool. I was thinking no more than 5-7K? I have no idea how much things would cost. Obviously Spain would be way more than Florida. The trip would probably be five or six nights.

I am not sure this is answering your question, but I can tell you how I start planning vacations.

I start with an idea of the dates I want to go away on, and a list rather like the one you have - possibilities.

After that, its basically research and searches. I look in Kayak or one of the many sites (Southwest and Jetblue are great for "warm weather" places) to see what flights are available that offer the "best deal" - in terms of timings, prices and frequent flyer miles. Hotels - whats available, how much, how do I get there? Travel sites like Tripadvisor and Fodors are your friend.

Once you have a good flight out, and a place that catches your fancy, its just a matter of hammering out the details.

Honestly, with a big budget (and I consider 5-7K for 3 people during spring break big), I would just call a travel agent and let them "sell" you something. I like deals, and I like researching and planning things out myself.

Good luck - sounds fun!

I would not go to Belize.
The are, some safe places in Belize I am told, but certainly not in actual Belize city.

You could consider a cruise ship to see various islands in the Caribbean, what we do is go to FL for a few days, then get on a cruise ship for a week long trip.

We found the Western Caribbean had nicer Mayan ruins to see, than the Eastern Caribbean cruise we were on.

I am not sure this is answering your question, but I can tell you how I start planning vacations.

I start with an idea of the dates I want to go away on, and a list rather like the one you have - possibilities.

After that, its basically research and searches. I look in Kayak or one of the many sites (Southwest and Jetblue are great for "warm weather" places) to see what flights are available that offer the "best deal" - in terms of timings, prices and frequent flyer miles. Hotels - whats available, how much, how do I get there? Travel sites like Tripadvisor and Fodors are your friend.

Once you have a good flight out, and a place that catches your fancy, its just a matter of hammering out the details.

Honestly, with a big budget (and I consider 5-7K for 3 people during spring break big), I would just call a travel agent and let them "sell" you something. I like deals, and I like researching and planning things out myself.

Good luck - sounds fun!

Thank you- this is very helpful. I never thought to approach it this way. We have to go when school is out for spring break, so we do have to go at a specific time. I would like to spend as little as possible, of course, but not stay in a hostel or anything like that. Middle of the road is fine. It would be great to stay under that amount too.

We also thought about Havana too. That might be kind of fun to see. I'm not sure if it would be fun for a kid though.

The are, some safe places in Belize I am told, but certainly not in actual Belize city.

You could consider a cruise ship to see various islands in the Caribbean, what we do is go to FL for a few days, then get on a cruise ship for a week long trip.

We found the Western Caribbean had nicer Mayan ruins to see, than the Eastern Caribbean cruise we were on.

We had some friends go to Belize, but I think they were near the beach. Probably in a resort. That is probably the way we would go if we went there. Personally, I don't mind just chilling out and swimming. Maybe snorkeling or just hanging out on a beach. DH would be bored though, lol. I will check out W. Caribbean. Thank you.

Thank you- this is very helpful. I never thought to approach it this way. We have to go when school is out for spring break, so we do have to go at a specific time. I would like to spend as little as possible, of course, but not stay in a hostel or anything like that. Middle of the road is fine. It would be great to stay under that amount too.

We also thought about Havana too. That might be kind of fun to see. I'm not sure if it would be fun for a kid though.

I would not recommend Havana for a first vacation. Florida will be pricey with Spring break and Spring training going on. Out of the country will set you back around 400 bucks just for your passports. I tend to want to avoid busy season so that makes it hard for me to recommend a good area for Spring break.

I would add you should check Expedia because I feel they tend to have the best package deals. But be careful about airlines, flight times and extra fees when comparing packages.

Belize City portrayed a seedy African port town in the 1980 movie The Dogs of War....my late wife and I were there 27 years ago......it hadn't improved.

Stay in Marathon, FL. Florida Keys.

Splurge by staying at Tranquility Bay. Beautiful place. Rent a boat for a day. Snorkel. Swim in the huge saltwater pool. Go to Bahai Honda State Park. Take a day trip to Key West. Take your kid to the Turtle Hospital. Take your kid to swim with the dolphins.

https://www.tranquilitybay.com/

No passports. No international travel. Don't expect the worlds best beaches, but they are nice enough. Are you ocean people or pool people?

Easy, Southern Cal, you don’t have to spend $5-$7k. Maybe less than $2k. It depends on wether Southwest have sales or not, they have it often.

Stay in Marathon, FL. Florida Keys.

Splurge by staying at Tranquility Bay. Beautiful place. Rent a boat for a day. Snorkel. Swim in the huge saltwater pool. Go to Bahai Honda State Park. Take a day trip to Key West. Take your kid to the Turtle Hospital. Take your kid to swim with the dolphins.

https://www.tranquilitybay.com/

No passports. No international travel. Don't expect the worlds best beaches, but they are nice enough. Are you ocean people or pool people?

We are lake people lol. The Keys were on my short list though. We would like a beach though. I read that the Keys beaches aren’t sandy, but some hotels have them. Do you think we’d have to rent a car?

Easy, Southern Cal, you don’t have to spend $5-$7k. Maybe less than $2k. It depends on wether Southwest have sales or not, they have it often.

Southern Cal for less then 2K during Spring break week, I'm guessing you wouldn't be close to the water?

We are lake people lol. The Keys were on my short list though. We would like a beach though. I read that the Keys beaches aren’t sandy, but some hotels have them. Do you think we’d have to rent a car?

There are nice beaches. Bahai Honda State Park has 3. There is another nice beach right in Marathon (blanking on the name). Tranquility Bay has a swimming beach and two pools.

These just aren't the majestic 50 yards deep, all white sand beaches.

If you fly into Key West I assume you could get transportation. It would be best with a rental car though. Going out to eat, driving to the beaches. Day trip back to Key West.

We had a blast and the kids enjoyed it. We took the rented boat (from Tranquility Bay) out 7 miles to the big reef and snorkeled. Very fun.

Southern Cal for less then 2K during Spring break week, I'm guessing you wouldn't be close to the water?
I’m very close to water, less than 5 Miles from the nearest beach. But a while back, I checked on some hotels in San Diego, they are really nice and not too expensive, 4-5 stars, I was tempted to book. OP, you said you wanted pool, did you mean hotel at the beach too or it doesn’t have to, I can do some looking and get back. Are you plan to rent a car?

For example, I’ve found Coronado Marriott and Spa for the first week of March for about $2k at bookings.com, it has rating of 8.7

Last edited:
I would take a western Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean.

There are nice beaches. Bahai Honda State Park has 3. There is another nice beach right in Marathon (blanking on the name). Tranquility Bay has a swimming beach and two pools.

These just aren't the majestic 50 yards deep, all white sand beaches.

If you fly into Key West I assume you could get transportation. It would be best with a rental car though. Going out to eat, driving to the beaches. Day trip back to Key West.

We had a blast and the kids enjoyed it. We took the rented boat (from Tranquility Bay) out 7 miles to the big reef and snorkeled. Very fun.

This actually sounds really nice. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
This actually sounds really nice. Thanks for the info.

You can also fly into Miami and make the drive from Miami to Marathon. We did it from that direction. Much cheaper to fly into Miami. Plus, the drive is (slow) but quite beautiful. We had a 2 bedroom unit at Tranquility Bay. We stopped at a Walmart at the start of the keys and bought groceries and then drove down.

There are good grocery stores in Marathon and some good places to eat out.

If you want warm (relatively) and staying in the US (with kids), it is a pretty fun vacation. Renting kayaks and snorkel gear. Easy snorkeling at Bahai Honda State Park. 2 of the 3 kids enjoyed that. Was not deep close to shore and a good intro to snorkeling.

Overall, a good mix of very relaxing with enough stuff to do for variety.

Apologies if you mentioned not wanting to do a road trip. I would suggest a S Cal to C Cal PCH1 (pacific Coast Highway) roadtrip with strategic drops along the way.

Last edited:
Apologies if you mentioned not wanting to do a road trip. I would suggest a S Cal to C Cal PCH1 (pacific Coast Highway) roadtrip.

Yes- I would love that! However, my kid probably would not. I've been to CA a couple of times, but have always wanted to travel on that road.

You can also fly into Miami and make the drive from Miami to Marathon. We did it from that direction. Much cheaper to fly into Miami. Plus, the drive is (slow) but quite beautiful. We had a 2 bedroom unit at Tranquility Bay. We stopped at a Walmart at the start of the keys and bought groceries and then drove down.

There are good grocery stores in Marathon and some good places to eat out.

If you want warm (relatively) and staying in the US (with kids), it is a pretty fun vacation. Renting kayaks and snorkel gear. Easy snorkeling at Bahai Honda State Park. 2 of the 3 kids enjoyed that. Was not deep close to shore and a good intro to snorkeling.

Overall, a good mix of very relaxing with enough stuff to do for variety.
+1

We've done that trip, stayed with family. Marathon was a nice place.

Look out the Key Deer! They love to jump out in front of rental vehicles. Damn things aren't endangered; they have a sick sense of humor!

Yes- I would love that! However, my kid probably would not. I've been to CA a couple of times, but have always wanted to travel on that road.

There are quite a few options for things to do that excites adults and (our) kids

- The drive
- tide pools
- surrey (4 wheel bike rentals)
- ATV rental (big hit with the kids guys and gals ... I forget the age limit)
- Santa Monica Pier
- the drive (wait I said that twice)
- the scenery

Depending on how far north you go, a few more options for the kids. Our family generally likes the variety and like a change every 2-3 days. That’s said, 7 days might be a bit tight, this might be more a 2 week summer toad trip idea.

My wife and I take a Celebrity Cruise every year during the first week of January.
So we like cruises also - as it is a good mix of relaxing + seeing a new site.

If this were my first vacation, I might try Hilton Head or/and Savannah. My wife and I celebrate our anniversary every year and spend 4/5 days there. Tybee island is close to Savannah and the beach weather is nice.

Another idea - combine a 5 day Carnival Cruise with 2 nights in Charleston S.C. In fact, my wife and I took a 9 day Celebrity Cruise in conjunction with 2 nights in Charlston. Our hotel even let us keep the car in their garage during our cruise.

Do a little research and pick something right for you...

I

We spent a week in San Pedro, Belize a few years ago, while I was still working. San Pedro is the main town on the island of Ambergris Caye and is about a 10 minute flight, or 40 minute boat ride, from Belize City.

You can transfer flights in the Belize Airport and no need to travel through Belize City if you don’t want to.

San Pedro was a blast and we felt very safe the entire time we were there. Friendly people, beautiful beaches, great fishing and lots of moderately priced restaurants.

We rented a golf cart for the week, which we used to go everywhere we wanted to go. It’s the primary means of transportation on the island.

DW and I are planning to return either next year or the following year and stay for a full month. I highly recommend it.

Disney Aulani on Oahu. Great for the whole family and tons to do on Oahu. It's not crazy with Disney stuff like Disneyland.

Back
Top Bottom