for RV'ers - what is your Internet solution?

Tesaje

Recycles dryer sheets
What do the RV'ers here do for Internet & what does it cost you?

I am in limbo & think a mobile solution might be the answer for me. I can't get Dsl or cable & I also plan on moving in a year or 2. So what do you use?

My kindle (like all models) has an aircard. Since I take it along for reading, it is a simple matter of using their built-in browser for simple things.

But that browser is primitive and inadequate other than for checking email and other simple tasks. For "real" browsing and computing, a laptop with a card seems to be the most common setup I've run into while RVing.

For travel we use a Verizon Air card. It is $60 per month minus 20% if you belong to a group they give a discount to. We used it this year on the 8300 mile West trip across sixteen states and found it to be very good. We never had a coverage issue when we needed it. There are certain places in the West where no carrier provides coverage however.

The key is if you need 3G speed then you will need to be in an area that has that. Otherwise the speed will revert to the slower levels which is actually fine to read Emails and this forum.

In laws are full timing since 2003 and for the first year they tried Verizon 1X service (slow, think twice as fast as dial up).
After that they decided on DirecWay (now HughesNet) and been happy campers. I believe they are paying $49 per month and you can check current pricing here: Rural High-Speed Internet Service - HughesNet Satellite Internet
Not as fast as DSL or cable modem, higher latency, but still decent bandwidth and great coverage.

Verizon wireless - aircard, plugged into a Kyocera router to provide us local wifi so we can use two computers.

Does both high speed EVDO when in range, and 1X when in the more rural areas. 1X is still faster than landline phone dial-up. EVDO can be really, really fast.

We also have a window-mounted antenna that really helps boost the signal.

We are almost never out of range even though we really go into the boonies sometimes.

If I had a house out in an area in the boonies with no access to DSL or cable (and was going to stay for a while) I would probably get one of those satellite connections for internet.

Audrey

I have used the Verizon aircard for quite some time. Just a few weeks ago I converted to a Blackberry which can be tethered to the computer or a router and used just like an aircard. Phone calls still come through even when tethered. I like this system as I can pick up email on my blackberry anywhere. It is taking me a while to learn the blackberry though and have had a few frustrating moments. The monthly cost for the blackberry plus tethering data plan is the same as the aircard.

Audrey, what do you use for a supplemental antennae?

Thanks. Looks like an aircard is what I need. Just wish they weren't so expensive!

The cell phone tethering I was hoping for is not working at all. Sprint is saying they will prevent it altogether soon, but haven't been able to reliably get my phone to link up with my computer, let alonefunction as a modem. Seems ridiculous since it shud be easy to do. Makes me wonder if some things are blocked.:-\

Thanks. Looks like an aircard is what I need. Just wish they weren't so expensive!

The cell phone tethering I was hoping for is not working at all. Sprint is saying they will prevent it altogether soon, but haven't been able to reliably get my phone to link up with my computer, let alonefunction as a modem. Seems ridiculous since it shud be easy to do. Makes me wonder if some things are blocked.:-\

Before the aircard and giving in to a data plan, I tethered my Verizon phone using a mobile office kit. It worked surprisingly well. No data plan required; you used minutes but the minutes were free in the evenings and weekends. One group that was always helpful in dealing with issues was the Yahoo group Internet by Cell phone.

Verizon wireless - aircard, plugged into a Kyocera router to provide us local wifi so we can use two computers.
Same as Audrey except Sprint instead of Verizon as Sprints' download limit enforcement seems to be less draconian than Verizon. Since we live out in the sticks it is our source for internet access both at home and on the road.

Same as Audrey except Sprint instead of Verizon as Sprints' download limit enforcement seems to be less draconian than Verizon. Since we live out in the sticks it is our source for internet access both at home and on the road.

Yes, I have noticed that Verizon is getting tough on the limits. Now every time I log on it tells me how much data I have used and even sent me a message a few days ago saying that I was half way through my limit for the month.

Yes, I have noticed that Verizon is getting tough on the limits. Now every time I log on it tells me how much data I have used and even sent me a message a few days ago saying that I was half way through my limit for the month.
I'm still on the original contract which does not specify the 5G/month data limit. I'm loath to renew and get a smaller card that fits my Macbook Pro because I know that new limit will apply. We've never exceeded 3G as far as I know, but still.....

Audrey, what do you use for a supplemental antennae?
We started with a smaller booster antenna which was still pretty darn effective. Many times we could do internet where the signal was to weak to use our voice phones.

I should probably mention that our aircard is also a Kyocera KPC-650, and it is also known for good sensitivity.

Current antenna we use (my husband looked this up for you):
Wilson Electronics 301134 Dual Band Window Mount Panel Antenna
Wilson Electronics 851120 10 Foot N-Male to FME-Female Extension Cable RG58 Low Loss Foam Coax.

NOTE: This extension cable has an N-Male on the Antenna end and an FME-Female on the cell phone adapter end. The cable is not found on the Wilson web site, you have to call.

Audrey

Yeah, that was my risk of going to the blackberry, now I have data limits. Though it doesn't look like I am going to exceed my limit, I have used almost 4g in three weeks during my move and spending a fair amount of time watching tv on the net when I was snowed in with a cracked rib and no television. :)

Thanks for the antennae info.

Back
Top Bottom