Galapagos

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just paid for airfare and cruise to the Galapagos Islands in about a month that I have wanted to do ever since college days in the late 60s. Thought I better do this soon before I have to schedule a knee replacement and get too old. I will be bringing a knee brace and medication and hope they allow some kind of walking staff. Anyone have any experience that could offer some insight/advice?

Cheers!

What an exciting trip to look forward to! I went white water rafting a couple of years ago with a bad knee. There was a lot of precarious in/out of the boat (carrying gear to make/break camp for 5 days), hiking ,etc. I too was concerned about how my knee would hold out. I wore a light knee brace, took an anti inflammatory and had acetaminophen (and hydrocodone as last choice) available if pain was not controlled. I was ready to rest/ice and elevate my knee in camp if I "tweaked" it. Good idea with the walking stick...extra stability if you think you might "tweak" it.

You will be amazed at how a knee replacement will change your life for the better. I am an RN who takes care of post-op total knee/hip replacement patients. All the best to you!

Please post your impressions on the trip. We have a Galapagos trip scheduled for May.

I went in 2005 and loved Galapagos. I took a boatload of pictures which I dumped on Flickr if you are interested. Kind of a PITA to look at them because you have to look at separate albums for each island we visited. Here is Bartolome which has some shots of a shark I chased, Here is the top level list of albums if you want to look thru for other islands. Check to see if the outfit ou are traveling with includes wet suits for snorkeling. If not, see if you can borrow a shorty and bring it along.

I'm hoping the knee holds up since walking on uneven ground is an issue. Already started pre-surgery PT but going to hold out for the actual date as long as possible. Have the "good" meds and braces in the meantime and plan on icing the knee during the trip.

The trip is in late Jan. on the C. Expedition. I believe they provide everything including wet suits. Being in the water on occasion will be a nice change from walking every day as well.

Great pictures donheff! Thanks. It is a good reminder to buy another memory chip for my camera. I hope to have some kind of review when we return in Feb.

All experiences in the Galapagos are welcome.

Cheers!

Just paid for airfare and cruise to the Galapagos Islands in about a month that I have wanted to do ever since college days in the late 60s. Thought I better do this soon before I have to schedule a knee replacement and get too old. I will be bringing a knee brace and medication and hope they allow some kind of walking staff. Anyone have any experience that could offer some insight/advice?

Cheers!
My wife had a bad knee and we have collapible walking poles that fit in our suitcase.
Here a pair from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Enkeeo-Trekk...pons&keywords=walking+stick+collapsible&psc=1

Trip of a lifetime ! I loved it. There is quite a bit of walking so have that in mind. You can always just do 1/4 or 1/2 of the walk and turn back if you need to. Just let your guide know in advance.

There is also an awesome amount of snorkeling / diving.

Because there are no natural predators the animals have no fear. It took me 2 or 3 days before I realized that I was not in some sort of weird cageless zoo with trained animals.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers!
We're interested in doing. Do you mind sharing with which organization you are touring? Thanks.

There is also an awesome amount of snorkeling / diving.

Did you get up to Wolf and Darwin? (Galapagos are high on our "dive before age 60, just in case" list, but DW may need dry suit first....)

Looking forward to Badger's trip report, as we want to go there for more than the liveaboard diving....

I went snorkeling with the seals at the "seal grotto"...no wet suit...and it was reaaaaaaly cold! Humbolt current ain't no joke. If you plan to dive, have the right gear.

We're interested in doing. Do you mind sharing with which organization you are touring? Thanks.
We are on a small ship (Xpedition) from one of the major cruise lines. It maxes out at 100 passengers. Everything is included in the price from beer to tips. I think they even have wet suits to use at no charge. We will be able to access the islands via Zodiac inflatables. I'm planning on getting wet going to shore so I will have to rinse and dry the braces afterwards.

Cheers!

We went to the Galapagos in April of this year. A very magical place for us. We spent a week Scuba diving on the Aggressor and then spent a week on land (Santa Cruz & Isabella). Both legs of the journey were simply amazing -- and Wolfe & Darwin area was mind blowing!
Here are a few snips:

http://www.tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/16_45_eagle_ray-Desktop.m4v

http://www.tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/hammerhead_and_galapagos_sharks-Desktop.m4v

http://www.tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/seal_with_fishball_long_web-Desktop.m4v

After that, in July, we visited the Raja Ampat area of Indonesia for a few weeks of scuba diving - some of the best in the world.

Unfortunately in October my DH who appeared in good health @ 60 yo, passed away.
Now these videos give me much comfort along with the though that we lived large & saw the best of the best before his passing.:(

Don't hesitate to take the trip. :flowers:

Note to Admin: the links are the only way I could find to share the vids, please rework if they are an issue. The root website is now a defunct Co, just check the links on it, and it's info is out of date.

Those videos are amazing, NW Landlady. And so sorry to hear about your DH but you have such special memories to give you solace in having had a wonderful life with him.

Back
Top Bottom