Going to Myrtle Beach Soon

prof12

Recycles dryer sheets
We have never been there and need info and suggestions on where to stay (reasonable & clean) and where to eat. Also some of the tourist-y things to see and do.

We may consider this as our possible retirement destination as FL has been officially crossed off our list due to sinkholes, storms and pythons!!!!!!

Thank for your input. prof12

Try not to notice Andrea's path, if storms will cross a place off your list! ;)

I'd recommend Brookgreen Gardens for a visit. It is truly one of the top attractions in the whole state, filled with something for everyone. The statuary gardens are incredible, the animal areas are fascinating and peaceful, and the whole place is just a gem. One of my favorites. It will be a bit of a drive from Myrtle, but well worth the trip.

I think there must a ton of budget accommodations up there--big and small hotels seem to be everywhere. I guess it would depend if you wanted to stay on the beach or a few streets back as to prices.

If you want good food though, you are going to have to drive down to Charleston. :hide:

Met up with some folks in Myrtle Beach in March and they had selected Compasss Cove. It is right on the beach and I thought it was nice and reasonably priced. I stayed in a one bedroom condo. There were a couple of restaurants onsite. There might be a lots of kids in the summer as they have a good pool area.

We spent 2 nights at Bay View and 2 nights at Compass Cove on an April trip there. Both were fine, but I liked Bay View a little better as it was a short walk to restaurants, etc, but we liked Compass Cove pools better. Both properties were in the same ownership.

We stopped by and toured a condo at North Beach Plantation since we are thinking about snowbirding near Myrtle Beach next year. Very nice, but more $$$$ than Bay View and Compass Cove..

I would check out TripAdvisor.

Last edited:
Been there a lot of times but mostly with golf groups. We generally stay at Lands End in North Myrtle and it's right on the beach. Good access to everything including a lot of restaurants. Should be able to get some good rates right now. We honneymooned at The Caravelle back in 1972. Still a nice place. There are many, many hotels along the beach. Just flip a coin. We prefer North Myrtle Beach and stay out of the downtown area totally.

I'm sitting around in that general direction and right now am enjoying the weather and someone playing the flute off towards the woods.

I was down close to Myrtle Beach earlier, missed the gardens mentioned earlier :( but can attest to the fact that it's great. Tropical Storm Andrea? Bah! Just some whiny thaing that blew through.

Back
Top Bottom