Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ouch!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Wow Don, that looks ghastly. I hope you can heal it up very quickly and completely.

Ha

Old 06-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

A bit off topic...

My superior memory told me that donheff once posted a photo of himself in a travel post. It was a few years ago, and my memory is not good enough to tell me how he looked back then, just that it was about an Alaska trip. Being nosy, I was curious to know how people age, so I looked but the old photos were gone.

OK, we are back to biking hazard and injuries now.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh my goodness! Heal fast
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How do you make this decision, it seems with cycling the different between a major crash and a minor one is just luck.
Sometimes but in our case it was obvious. Our friend was going maybe 30Km/hr on a paved road when she put the front brake on by mistake. Over the handlebars, face hit the pavement, helmet cracked in two, unconscious for 10 minutes. Luckily we had 5 doctors on the trip and they were great. Fall caused internal bleeding which almost killed her. She is in her early 70's.

My spouse slid on some gravel while making a sharp turn and was going very slowly. Barely fell. Caught her thumb somehow in the handlebars.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Sometimes but in our case it was obvious. Our friend was going maybe 30Km/hr on a paved road when she put the front brake on by mistake. Over the handlebars, face hit the pavement, helmet cracked in two, unconscious for 10 minutes. Luckily we had 5 doctors on the trip and they were great. Fall caused internal bleeding which almost killed her. She is in her early 70's.

My spouse slid on some gravel while making a sharp turn and was going very slowly. Barely fell. Caught her thumb somehow in the handlebars.
Some of our family is into motorcycles, 10 years ago a cousin and his wife on separate bikes had a truck and trailer pull in front of them. His wife was lifeflighted and almost didn't make it, she has walking and other issues to this day. Other family members kept telling us " the accident wasn't her fault",
as if your body knows the difference! It doesn't always happen to the other guy. Do you think that slowing reflexes will have an impact on when you decide to stop riding bikes?
Old 06-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
DW and I went on a VBT bike tour in Provence last week. It was great until I had a bad bike crash at about the same time John Kerry went down elsewhere in France. I was turning the route sheet over with my right hand and riding with my left when I came onto a couple of yards of downhill with a pothole. The bike sped up and I braked with my left hand just as my front wheel hit the pot hole. The results were predictable and remarkably similar to a crash I had a few years ago mountain biking - the wheel locked up and the bike tossed me like a rider off a bull. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Last time I broke my wrist, this time I managed multiple breaks in my clavicle and a fractured scapula. The Avignon hospital wanted to keep me a week for surgery but the surgeon agreed that flying home would be safe so I came back to get the surgery here. The VBT staff were great. Having a native speaker with me at the hospital made things go very smooth. Also, travel insurance was nice. They upgraded me to Business Class which vastly improved the flight home. I crashed near the end of the trip so I just stayed with the tour and flew on my scheduled flight. That allowed my wife to do the last day's ride and both of us to enjoy a few more dinners with the group (hurrah for pain pills). It didn't happen without photos so I am attaching one. As always, it looks worse than it feels.

Attachment 21804
Will hardware be put on/into your scapula?

Ha
Old 06-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Ouch, that looks painful. Get well soon!
Old 06-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Ow! I hope you feel better soon and your bones mend like a teenager's would, quickly. That accident could have happened around the corner from your house (less the holding the map, of course), but the Provence location really makes it something to remember. Take care of yourself!
Old 06-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #30

That sure looks to be quite sore! Hope you get feeling better. I surgery planned for you or just some immobilizing of the area around your shoulder?

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Some of our family is into motorcycles, 10 years ago a cousin and his wife on separate bikes had a truck and trailer pull in front of them. His wife was lifeflighted and almost didn't make it, she has walking and other issues to this day. Other family members kept telling us " the accident wasn't her fault",
as if your body knows the difference! It doesn't always happen to the other guy. Do you think that slowing reflexes will have an impact on when you decide to stop riding bikes?
Not sure, currently almost 65 and figure I'm good for another 10 years. At that point maybe switch to e-bike.
My motto in retirement is "Burn Calories" but at some point an injury will probably slow me down.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I've been lucky, and haven't had a bike crash since I was a kid. But I have noticed, both biking and driving, that I'm not as good as I thought I was when distracted...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Hey! You gotta stop doing wheelies . Just kidding, of course.

Get well soon.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Will hardware be put on/into your scapula?

Ha
I won't know for sure until Monday but it looks like the scapula can be left to mend on it's own. The clavicle is a mess and will need hardware.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A bit off topic...

My superior memory told me that donheff once posted a photo of himself in a travel post. It was a few years ago, and my memory is not good enough to tell me how he looked back then, just that it was about an Alaska trip. Being nosy, I was curious to know how people age, so I looked but the old photos were gone.

OK, we are back to biking hazard and injuries now.
Not sure which one I posted but here is one that is as good as the others. I was 35 pounds heavier then - pre-LCHF -most of it hiding under the T-shirt. That was 2009 so 6 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alaska.jpg (52.3 KB, 135 views)
Old 06-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #36
Administrator

Don, that is an ugly injury but I'd say that overall, Father Time is treating you kindly. Maybe it's the LCHF diet, but you're looking quite trim and fit now. You didn't look bad in 2009, but the 35 pound loss looks great and is easy to see!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Not sure which one I posted but here is one that is as good as the others. I was 35 pounds heavier then - pre-LCHF -most of it hiding under the T-shirt. That was 2009 so 6 years ago.
No, it was another photo, and more close up. It showed just the face or the torso, and with your DW, I think. Perhaps it was when you were about to board a seaplane. My memory is still good, but just fuzzy.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #38

So sorry to hear this and hope that you do heal quickly.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh my Gosh! Get well soon. But I think I would rather crash in France then crash near my home - eating all that lovely French food while recuperating? Yum!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #40

Don,
Sympathy and empathy and best wishes for a good recovery.

Serves as a reminder. I too, love biking and in my 79th year am taking your "crash" as a warning.

I have given up using my Motobecane road bike and switched to my Mongoose full suspension mountain bike... lowered the seat, added a better rear view mirror, and don't ride in high gear very often. Took a tumble three years ago, showing off with a teenager going full blast downhill, and didn't quite make a right turn... Don't remember much except I ended up 10 feet from the bike feeling bone by bone that I was ok, and deciding then to ALWAYS wear a helmet.

The 30 mile rides have turned into 5 or 10 miles at a time and never on busy roads. The risk is always there, but we balance the joys of what we like to do, knowing that 75 years with no serious accidents counts for nothing when it comes to tomorrow.

No more tent camping, hiking, or climbing in the Adirondaks, but we hang on to the things we can still do... biking, canoeing and some sailing. Being thankful for what still works.