Greek Islands, during late March

CuriousJoe

Dryer sheet aficionado
DW and I (in our sixties) are planning a trip to Athens and Greek Islands during the last week of March.

We would like to fly from NY to Athens, spend a couple of days there, then hop on to ferries to visit the islands as follows: Athens – Naxos - Santorini - Mykonos – back to Athens., spending a day or two at each of the islands.

We have 9 days (2 weekends and a week) to spend which includes flights between NY and Athens.

Any suggestions or comments very much appreciated; Is end of March good time weather-wise, how many days to spend in each of the islands etc.

Thanks in advance.

That is a lot for 9 days, but doable. I would probably only do two islands (Santorini and Mykonos) in order to have more time in Athens. Alternatively, to spend more time on those two islands....instead of trying to quickly hop between 3.

What type of weather are you looking for? It certainly is off season, so crowding on the islands would not be an issue. If it were me, I would go in early May. In fact I have been there in early May and the weather was perfect, warm but not hot.

Thank you all. Looks like March may be a bit cold, so we may postpone till April end

We were on a group tour in Athens and the Greek Islands (yeah, I know) March 8 through 20 2019. It was chillier than I expected so we wore jackets most of the time. The last part was on a cruise (yeah, I know) and our ship was the first of the season (and since the economy depends on tourists there was a big welcome for us at some of the ports) to hit them, so you will likely be there at the beginning if the tourist season. Even that early, Santorini was really crowded and I can’t even imagine what it’s like later in the year.

It really is a magical place.

We have done early April. What we found was that the ferry schedules are not as good prior to May/June. Quite a few restaurants and accommodations do not open up until April. Many close in Oct when their owners go back to the mainland. Orthodox Easter seems late this year. April 19. We have been told by some owners that they do not open up until after Easter. Not certain if this is common. IF we were going early, it would typically be right after Easter.

Flying is always an option. Aegean/Olympic have good fares and they have a sale going on at the moment. Many inter island flight have two segments....back to Athens, then Athens to where ever. We spent time in the Ionian Islands this past fall. Often air was almost as inexpensive as ferries/bus and much faster.

Last edited:
Just be aware of the ferry worker stricks. Last time we were there, they decided at the midnight of each day if they would work the next day, which made our island hopping schedule difficult. We had to leave one island one day earlier and wasted one day of hotel room. The problem is that you really don't know if there will be a ferry tomorrow until the next morning.

FYI: March temperatures on Santorini average 52 degrees F lows and 61 degree highs.
April temperatures are 55 degrees low and 64 degrees high.
April until September are the dry months.

This may be representative for the region. We went to all the islands you're wanting to see and Crete and Malta coming off a Norwegian Cruise and really enjoyed the trip.

We were in Santorini for a few days in August 2018. It was the most obnoxious travel destination it has ever been our misfortune to experience. The whole place is one big tourist trap; wall to wall retail. Typical experience trying to walk somewhere: A giant tourist bus pulls up and the contents of the bus evacuates, nose to tail, blocking foot and vehicle traffic with a solid and impregnable queue. They are probably going where you were going and now all 50 of them are ahead of you.

I suppose crowds will be less in March, but it will still be Retail Land. Some people like that, I guess.

We were in Santorini for a few days in August 2018. It was the most obnoxious travel destination it has ever been our misfortune to experience.

+1

Santorini is overcrowded and over-rated - every cruise ship stops there and the hordes are unbelievable. Spend a day there if you have to cross if off the "bucket list" - spend rest of the time in Mykonos (or another island)

Agree with Brett. March is cold and ferry schedules as well as restaurants and activities on the islands will be less than in May-September. We spent six weeks there in September 2018. Naxos, Milos, Skopelos and Athens were our favorites. Santorini is pretty but we rented a car to get away from the hordes of tourists. Highly recommend doing that.

I don't know if you would consider spending more time on the mainland, but we really enjoyed Nafplion and the archaeological sites nearby, including Mycenae. Rick Steves covers it and so you will run into folks carrying his guides, but we'd go back in a heartbeat.

We went in late October and spent 3 days in Athens then moved on to Mykinos and Santorini. I agree about the cruise ships stopping at santorini but in the evenings when they were all gone it was awesome. Spent over a week there alone at the Atlantis hotel which is well worth splurging for a caldera view room. There is a great Facebook group called Greek islands so check it out.

A few years ago, prior to going to the islands, we took 8-10 days, rented a car, and tour the Peloponnese. We very much enjoyed our time in Nafplion, Monenvasia, etc. Well worth the trip. Last time we were in Santorini was on a cruise. We did not like it. Too crowded. We spent a week there years ago with no cruise traffic. Very, very different and more enjoyable experience. We have passed it over on several DIY island hopping trip. Naxos is a favourite.

There are so many beautiful and interesting places to see in Greece. This past fall we were a week in Northern Greece followed by three weeks in the Ionian Islands. It was one of our most enjoyable trips to Greece. We keep going back.

Last edited:
We decided to take a 3 day land tour and 4 day cruise in April end, and bought tickets
Any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel near Athens airport so we can hop to bus tours?
Thanks again

The Sofitel is right at the airport and is nice. We stayed there upon arrival and also on our last night before departure. It’s just a short walk to the airport terminal.

Why do you want to go to islands? What do you want to see and do? Most people go to the islands in summer for beaches, but there are also islands that are good for out of season activities such as hiking, or visiting archaeological sites, or exploring small villages...if you explain what YOU are aiming to do, then you'll get better recommendations of where to go.
Santorini and Mykonos seem to be the only islands that some people have heard of, they are the two most expensive and touristy Greek islands with designer boutiques, nightclubs, international style restaurants etc. though most will be closed in March. Don't think the islands are the best choice for March. There are some beautiful places on the mainland a couple of hours outside Athens which would be far more suitable and worthwhile such as Nafplio with an overnight stay there.
I went to Athens in March 2019 from the 6th until the 18th. It rained every day for the first week, very heavily at times. The second week it was a lot better and became warm and the day before I left I was eating lunch outside at Edem beach taverna and the temperature was about 23 degrees. It just shows that in the early months of the year you don't know what you are going to get and plans can be ruined. Nafplio would be perfect, a beautiful town with so much to see and do.
What about Vouliagmeni? Fantastic day trip from Athens. You can easy to get a taxi from athens airport to vouliagmeni [mod edit]. There is a tiny tavernas with fresh fish and mezedes and the water is great! Just off the coastal highway, Lake Vouliagmeni is in a beautiful lush setting. Warm water. Nestled in a mountainside, it is clear, with ample chairs and lounges. This is a very interesting lake with hot water (even in the winter the water is very warm). You can use this facility even just for a day or a afternoon. At night with the rocks with the lights it creates a very mysterious atmosphere. The temperature year round is between 20 - 29C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks:
Just to give an update. We moved the trip to April end, and then cancelled it last week due to the present Corona crisis. We would end up losing money (non-refundable) on the 4 day cruise and 3 night hotels, but hope to get a credit from Delta for airfare.
We were looking forward to it, but life has other plans!:(

Sorry to hear about that, Joe. I was looking forward to reading about your trip, as I hope to go there one day as well. With luck, Greece will still be there for us when this is over.

Our end of March land tour + short islands cruise got canceled two days ago. We got vouchers for future trip anywhere good for 3 years. I suspect if they refunded everyone they'd go broke.

We’ve got a 10 day Greek Island cruise booked with Celebrity cruises in early October 2021. The sailing is out of Venice and we go to 7 ports.

I

Yes, Greece will still be there. I am new here and was happily reading because I know a couple which has been planning too. Not for now but for later in the year. These are uncertain times and your decision was a wise one.

Back
Top Bottom