Haines Alaska

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am not sure who the nice person was who recommended Haines over some other spots in Alaska but thank you! We spent 4 days there and have also seen Skagway, Valdez and are in Juneau now. All nice places but Haines is so nice we are trying to figure out how and when we will spend more time there. It reminde us a little of Jerome AZ where my sister lives, an old mining town full of artists and characters. Great book about the place "If You Lived Here, I Would Know Your Name", great reading about quirky small town life. And we ment people and could tell who they were from the book.

Our Blog, if you're now bored with it already:
Driving to the Arctic

Your blog made me really nostalgic. I spent the summer of 03 working in Denali at a lodge front desk. Fell in love with Alaska. :smitten: I think I'm going to have to take a trip some time in the near future!

I spent a few days in Haines this summer on a ferry trip (along with Skagway, Sitka, Juneau, and Ketchikan), and gave it very high marks. Haines narrowly beat out Sitka as my favorite (more roads to cycle).

I spent a few days in Haines this summer on a ferry trip (along with Skagway, Sitka, Juneau, and Ketchikan), and gave it very high marks. Haines narrowly beat out Sitka as my favorite (more roads to cycle).

Hey CyclingInvestor...my DH and I just bought a couple of TREK bikes and are getting ready to start conditioning for our Holland Bike Tour (flat terrain). Sounds like you enjoy cycling too...any words of wisdom?

Hey CyclingInvestor...my DH and I just bought a couple of TREK bikes and are getting ready to start conditioning for our Holland Bike Tour (flat terrain). Sounds like you enjoy cycling too...any words of wisdom?

Yes - the most important part of your body to get ready for touring is your butt. Muscles are pretty easy to build up, and it is easy to cycle within your fitness limits. Joints cannot be built up - they start out at maximum strength when young, and you have to live within their limits. But your butt can ruin a tour. If you do not put in the miles beforehand, use shorts / underwear / lycra you are used to, etc., you can get a nasty case of diaper rash / boils / pimples that will make your ride very painful. Make sure you try a domestic ride of 3-4 days in length with 3-5 hours in the saddle each day. The days can be flat and slow with many breaks, just put the time in to see if you are ready.

Yes - the most important part of your body to get ready for touring is your butt...But your butt can ruin a tour. If you do not put in the miles beforehand...you can get a nasty case of diaper rash / boils / pimples that will make your ride very painful.

Yikes, that doesnt sound fun! We are going with another couple who have offered their cyclist trainer to get us conditioned. I guess we will have to be deligent about our homework. I sure hate to be a pain-in-the-ass to the others in our group.

I sure hope we like it, cause the bikes weren't cheap and I would like to add cycling into our existing fitness regiment.

Back
Top Bottom