Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The winters can indeed be brutal but I've spent my entire 69 years with those winters and they're not that hard to prepare for. The main thing is have a good dependable car with a survival kit because your life can literally depend on it. Now that I'm retired the winters are no problem at all since there is no place I have to be. If the weather is bad I stay home.

There is an advantage to those winters; there is an old saying around here: "40 below keeps the riff raff out." I've gone for weeks without locking a door because the crime rate is very low. Of course the fact that almost all homes have guns in them may have an influence on that. I could not live in a city, it's too separated from nature. I'll take the occasional winter blizzard over hurricanes and earthquakes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #22

I'll say one thing about North Dakota in Winter. If you have a clear, cold day, the sun in early a.m. sits very low in the southern sky. And the sunlight is brilliant, especially with so much snow being on the ground.

I went to the Jamestown Hooters one night--for the Wings. The waitresses were not nearly as tall and blonde as the Hooters waitresses down south.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I'll say one thing about North Dakota in Winter. If you have a clear, cold day, the sun in early a.m. sits very low in the southern sky. And the sunlight is brilliant, especially with so much snow being on the ground.

I went to the Jamestown Hooters one night--for the Wings. The waitresses were not nearly as tall and blonde as the Hooters waitresses down south.
Boy with posts like this, I am not sure I'll ever make it to ND.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #24

Check out the very excellent Road Trips forum on Trip Advisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...oad_Trips.html

I'm partial to western Montana and Northern Idaho. From Seattle, head over to Coeur d'Alene, then north to SandPoint, then east on US hwy 2 to Kalispell and then to Glacier NP. Not a winter trip.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Boy with posts like this, I am not sure I'll ever make it to ND.
I used to work on drill rigs in ND. The summer temp. there is very similar to the temperatures in Southern AZ in the winter. The old snowbirds from western ND would go from 80F to 80F.

I never made it to the Fort Peck Dam in eastern MT. DW is willing to drive up to Winnipeg, just because we have not ever been there, so maybe one day I can over to the Dam.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Your timeframe is a non-starter, but we're taking an RV next August from LA to the vicinity of Salem Oregon to see the total eclipse. I believe I heard that it's the only full solar eclipse in the US for the next 40 years. It's going to cross the country from coast to coast.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #27

Just had to throw this in.

Amazing Time Lapse Video Of North Dakota Night Skies
Old 10-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
DW is willing to drive up to Winnipeg, just because we have not ever been there, so maybe one day I can over to the Dam.
If you do go to Winnipeg, check out the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
https://humanrights.ca
Old 10-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
I haven't been on a road trip since I was a child going out to the Midwest in a Winnebago. I would love some ideas about itineraries for maybe a 2 week trip in early fall. I live in the Seattle area, so could leave from there, or would be open to flying to another area and renting a car. I really like pretty cities and towns and would stay in hotels/motels. I am most interested in the Midwest, mostly for nostalgia, we used to visit family in the Dakotas and Iowa, but I am open to other areas and Canada. Anyone have a preferred road trip destination? Thanks in advance!
My goodness, you live in one of the most beautiful parts of North America. You have an abundance of wonderful places within 1-2 days' driving distance. Have you visited the Oregon coast? The Olympic peninsula? The Columbia gorge? The San Juan Islands?

If you are willing to cross the border, here are some ideas in BC.

https://www.hellobc.com/default.aspx?CC=CA

Circle Tours & Drives in BC | Travel Resources | Travel British Columbia

Mobile DriveBC

Be aware that it is already snowing on the mountain passes. You need winter tires after October 1.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #30

Another one

Gunlogson State Nature Preserve In North Dakota
Old 10-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Check out the very excellent Road Trips forum on Trip Advisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...oad_Trips.html

I'm partial to western Montana and Northern Idaho. From Seattle, head over to Coeur d'Alene, then north to SandPoint, then east on US hwy 2 to Kalispell and then to Glacier NP. Not a winter trip.
Thanks for the link! That has a lot of fun reading. I lived in Spokane for 3 years back in the 90's and would regularly go to Coeur d'Alene and Sand Point which I really enjoyed. I need to get back there for old time's sake and stretching it into Montana sounds like fun.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My goodness, you live in one of the most beautiful parts of North America. You have an abundance of wonderful places within 1-2 days' driving distance. Have you visited the Oregon coast? The Olympic peninsula? The Columbia gorge? The San Juan Islands?

If you are willing to cross the border, here are some ideas in BC.

https://www.hellobc.com/default.aspx?CC=CA

Circle Tours & Drives in BC | Travel Resources | Travel British Columbia

Mobile DriveBC

Be aware that it is already snowing on the mountain passes. You need winter tires after October 1.
Wow, thanks so much! Those are excellent links! I am very interested in going to BC. Of course over the years I have done many trips to Vancouver and Victoria, but unfortunately little else. When I lived in Spokane years ago I did a drive up to Calgary, but I wish I had visited towns like Nelson and Kimberly.

I do live in a beautiful area which is one of the reasons I didn't mind not traveling for a number of years.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
That's really cool. I also liked the other links on the page. I really would like to visit ND again.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If you do go to Winnipeg, check out the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
https://humanrights.ca
Did you see the movie "My Winnepeg"? That movie makes me want to visit the city.