Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently ending a 14 day trip in Ireland, just added up costs, all approx still, but 1900 in flights, 120 Dingle marathon fees, 250 dog, 400 car and train, about 100 per day for mid priced b&b's, 100 per day for food including our mandatory 3pm Guinness stop and wine every night. We'd skip lunch due too big brekkies. Thanks to Meadb for steering us to lovely Kinsale. Our last night tonight will be a bottle of wine on the Kilkee cliffs, bread and cheese. Will enter butter, soda bread and Guiness detox next week. This has been a most wonderful vacation, as they say, priceless!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Currently ending a 14 day trip in Ireland, just added up costs, all approx still, but 1900 in flights, 120 Dingle marathon fees, 250 dog, 400 car and train, about 100 per day for mid priced b&b's, 100 per day for food including our mandatory 3pm Guinness stop and wine every night. We'd skip lunch due too big brekkies. Thanks to Meadb for steering us to lovely Kinsale. Our last night tonight will be a bottle of wine on the Kilkee cliffs, bread and cheese. Will enter butter, soda bread and Guiness detox next week. This has been a most wonderful vacation, as they say, priceless!
You're welcome! Delighted to hear you've had good craic!

Meadbh

Old 09-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
And I always say that NZ has the best scenic beauty out of anywhere in the world.
Have you been to Austria and Switzerland?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoluc View Post
My wife and I spent 4 weeks in Paris this spring.
$2,500 airfare
$5,000 vrbo apartment in the 6th arrond.
$3,500 approx for groceries (we cooked meals often), dining and transportation.
We had our daughter and her husband visit and stay with us for a week. Also had a couple from the UK we met on a cruise come and stay with us for a week.
It was a great trip. We saw parts of Paris that most tourists never see. The metro is amazingly efficient, you can get anywhere in the city in about 25 minutes. We would take one of the metro lines to the outskirts of the city and spend the day walking back to our apartment exploring.
This was the kind of trip where you did not feel relieved to be going back home.
My wife read this now she wants to go...do you have a link to your VRBO?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Have you been to Austria and Switzerland?
When I was 14, as part of a marathon tour around Europe w/ family (i.e. not an ideal experience .

I realize that Austria and Switzerland have amazing views - I guess what I like about NZ a bit more is that you have nearly all possible scenes wrapped up into one country (sometimes even one island), so you can get lush rain forests, impressive mountain views, fjords, tropical beaches, sweeping plains, never-ending pine forests...all combined with (most of the time) very few people.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #66

Sounds like Alaska minus tropical beaches and plus bears and moose and glaciers.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #67

How much was your last trip & where did you go?

Campsite: 0 to $30 bucks a night. Generally four days primitive, one day with electric to top off the batteries.

Cost depends on how far we travel. Diesel averages about $4 a gallon, and we average about 12 miles to the gallon. A month costs us about $800 to $1000 above our normal expenses. Depends on if we take any tours or such. The three month trip to Alaska cost about $12k, but much of that was in fuel. We drove about 10,000 miles. Canada was about $1.56 - $2 per liter.

This year we spent a month in Florida, a month in Michigan, a month in Maine, a month in Alabama and Georgia, plus we bummed around on some short trips. Each trip cost us about $1000 above our normal monthly expenses, as mentioned above. Except for the MI trip. Spent about $5500 on new camera equipment.

We could probably do it cheaper, but I don't like camping in parking lots, and I love to eat out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

My tracking indicates our international treks seem to come in around $3,000 a week, even when I think we're being frugal (ha!). These are real numbers from a recent two week trip to Florida (gateway city), then Peru, two people:

RT airfare between LA and Miami: $608
Four nights hotels in Florida: $525
Car rentals & gas: $275
Florida activities and meals: $500
Peru 10 day tour, including RT airfare between Miami and Lima: $4,073
Peru spending cash & tips: $580
Shuttle to/from airport: $170
Total: $6,797

By comparison, our RV trips run just $700 a week, or $100 a day. That amount covers our RV site, generally a full service RV park, groceries, gas, and activities. Since the majority of our days are spent hiking at zero cost, we are able to enjoy splurge activities as we have time and energy. Recent trips included guided rafting and kayaking trips, a llama trek, live theater and concert tickets, museums galore, and lots of food, beer and wine tasting.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread! I love seeing how others travel.

We did 4 weeks in California to Colorado in Feb/March. We paid airfare (to CO and back from Boston), rented a Prius, stayed 5 nites with family, rented a VRBO cottage in the Sonoma wine country for $600 week. Including airfare and dog sitter (350 per week, ugh) we spent 6K.

Last year we did 2 weeks in Italy - Florence, Venice and Rome - paid airfare (1K each), lesser expensive hotels in Venice and Florence, and apt in Rome, took trains - 8K for the 2 weeks including the dreaded $700 for house/dog sitter.

When we do road trips we drive our Prius and budget about 1500 per week (for both of us) includes everything, gas, lodging, food, dog sitter, events, etc. In late October we are doing a roadtrip to New Orleans (from Boston) over to Houston and Dallas to see friends and back. Will budget the 1500 per week.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My most recent jaunt was a road trip to the Southern Gulf Islands. Two people had a week's vacation for just under $1000, including four ferry trips and a whalewatching excursion. We stayed at a resort where I was able to exchange a week from my fractional ownership at another property, and as we had a full kitchen we brought our own provisions and made all our own meals. Our only restaurant meal was afternoon tea at the Butchart Gardens, which was well worth the cost.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll throw one in we decided to do this weekend.

Left Friday afternoon for "Wharton, Texas". Yup, Holiday Inn Express had a deal for 5,000 points a night (I recently bought an additional 15,000 points for $90), so we reserved two nights with the plan being to go down to Matagorda Bay on Saturday and do a little fishing.

We found a really nice mexican restaurant on the Colorado river in Wharton with $6 margaritas and reasonably priced, very large portions of good food. In fact, it was so good we ate there both nights.

Got down to Matagorda Bay late Saturday morning, the LCRA park has free fishing piers so we camped out on one of them and let out a couple of lines. Caught a couple sand trout, nothing big for the day but still enough to excite a nine year old.

Headed back to Wharton for dinner Saturday night, checked out this morning and came back home around 1pm.

Two nights stay: $60 ($30 per night)
Food, drink, tips: $170
Gas: $55

Total: $285
Old 09-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Sweet!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Around $15.5K for 22 days in France and Spain: 5 days in Paris, 7 days on a River Cruise to the French Provence, 3 days in Barcelona, 7 days in Mallorca.

Airfare(CLT to CDG; BCN to CLT): $2475
5 Day Hotel Lodging in Paris (near the Louvre): Marriott Reward Points
Transportation in Paris (Taxi, Uber, Metro and Walking): $100
Meals (Free Breakfasts as Marriott Platinum Member, Dining):$200
Entertainment: (Museum Passes, Food Tour thru St. Germaine): $300
Shopping: ($200)

7 Day River Cruise: $10,000 (including rail and bus transfers, gratuities)
Shopping: ($400)

3 Day Hotel Lodging in Barcelona: $450 (elected not to use my Marriott Reward Points)
Transportation in Barcelona (Taxi, Uber, Metro, Hop-On, Hop-Off Bus):$140
Meals (Free Breakfasts, Dining): $100
Entertainment: (Sagrada Familia): $60
Shopping: ($50)

Airfare from Barcelona to Mallorca, RT: $438
Car Rental: $360
Fuel: $50
7 Day Villa Lodging in Mallorca: Used Marriott DC Points
Meals (Groceries and Dining): $250
Shopping: $250

Transportation from Airport to Home: $44 (Uber)

Had a great time.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Just FYI carnival cruise just dropped rates down to 120 for 5 days, 210 for 7 days per person....
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
My tracking indicates our international treks seem to come in around $3,000 a week, even when I think we're being frugal (ha!). These are real numbers from a recent two week trip to Florida (gateway city), then Peru, two people:

RT airfare between LA and Miami: $608
Four nights hotels in Florida: $525
Car rentals & gas: $275
Florida activities and meals: $500
Peru 10 day tour, including RT airfare between Miami and Lima: $4,073
Peru spending cash & tips: $580
Shuttle to/from airport: $170
Total: $6,797

By comparison, our RV trips run just $700 a week, or $100 a day. That amount covers our RV site, generally a full service RV park, groceries, gas, and activities. Since the majority of our days are spent hiking at zero cost, we are able to enjoy splurge activities as we have time and energy. Recent trips included guided rafting and kayaking trips, a llama trek, live theater and concert tickets, museums galore, and lots of food, beer and wine tasting.

How much for the RV? Is that cost included in the per trip cost or is it just ignored?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
How much for the RV? Is that cost included in the per trip cost or is it just ignored?
The cost is ignored, though it has resale/trade in value of course. The same would be true of a vehicle used to take a road trip, however, so I'm not sure what your point is in asking?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Actually, let me take another stab at it - we figure we'll own our RV for ten years (on year four at this point), use it 100 days a year (achieved so far in years one through three), and resell it at that point for $15,000 less than purchase price. 1,000 days of RV'ing divided by the $15,000 in depreciation would add $15.00 per night to our costs. I would put forth that that $15 is easily reabsorbed in daily savings on food, wine, entertainment and laundry. All can be done within our RV or RV park for significantly less than would be possible if in a hotel.

Our prior RV ended up averaging us $10 per night when this same analysis was done at point of sale. It was a less outfitted, less expensive RV than our current RV, hence the difference.

Again, though, to compare apples to apples, it seems to me you'd have to apply the same with regard to a passenger vehicle used during a road trip.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
The cost is ignored, though it has resale/trade in value of course. The same would be true of a vehicle used to take a road trip, however, so I'm not sure what your point is in asking?
My point is your comparison is not really valid, I'm sure you knew that though... Always one in the bunch, huh?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My point is your comparison is not really valid, I'm sure you knew that though... Always one in the bunch, huh?
Did you see my follow up post? I'm guessing not per your reply.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
I'll throw one in we decided to do this weekend.

Left Friday afternoon for "Wharton, Texas". Yup, Holiday Inn Express had a deal for 5,000 points a night (I recently bought an additional 15,000 points for $90), so we reserved two nights with the plan being to go down to Matagorda Bay on Saturday and do a little fishing.

We found a really nice mexican restaurant on the Colorado river in Wharton with $6 margaritas and reasonably priced, very large portions of good food. In fact, it was so good we ate there both nights.

Got down to Matagorda Bay late Saturday morning, the LCRA park has free fishing piers so we camped out on one of them and let out a couple of lines. Caught a couple sand trout, nothing big for the day but still enough to excite a nine year old.

Headed back to Wharton for dinner Saturday night, checked out this morning and came back home around 1pm.

Two nights stay: $60 ($30 per night)
Food, drink, tips: $170
Gas: $55

Total: $285

Sounds just like the kind of weekend trips I used to do when I lived in Bastrop & Austin (1981-1996). Good times!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote