Lewis and Clark in Montana (Itnenary)

Derslickmeister

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm planning a trip next year to Montana to see some of the sights along the Lewis and Clark trail. I'm interested in the Three Forks and Great Falls areas and was wondering if others have been to this part of Montana, and if so, would it be too much to try to include Bozeman, Butte and Missoula as well. I'll have 7 days in total to spend there. I guess I'm really looking for a good itinerary to fill out the schedule.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to Google Lewis and Clark Tours and look at their itineraries.
There are both land tours and ship tours. Pick what you want and do it on your own if a land tour.
Here is one for example: Lewis and Clark Tour | Stephen Ambrose Tours

Thanks. Yep, done lots of Googling :). I'm looking to hear from folks that have actually been there and get their impressions on what sights to focus on and what I might miss in my Googling...

If you like mountain scenery, I'd check out the Going to the Sun Highway. I was there on motorcycle (quite) a while back and couldn't go any further than Saint Mary Lake from the east - it was late June and the road was still closed due to snow. Ended up going further north into Canada and being uncharacteristically detained by Dudley Do-Right at the border crossing. Sat at one of these very picnic tables https://www.google.com/maps/@49.000...4!1sVc9qrosKghwrW729tqUmng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 waiting after they went though all of my belongings, and DDR went off into the trees behind the building. Waited a long time, another crossing guard said I could go; but I told him DDR went up that trail there with my driver's license about 1/2 an hour ago! Rolled his eyes, ran up into the woods and returned with my DL a few minutes later. Turns out a G7 meeting was going on in Calgary, and I must have looked like the rif-raf they'd rather not have visiting at the time.

But for more of the sights, if heading north into BC, there is the ginourmous "Titan" in Sparwood, BC - you really can't miss it. Sparwood's Terex Titan - TitanCam

It was just post 9-11, and with US citizens not yet needing a passport to cross back into the US from Canada, I naively didn't have mine along. It was interesting convincing the US border crossing guard of that as I crossed back into Idaho. With that series of memorable crossing behind me, the drive down Idaho's 95/2 from the border to Sandpoint was beautiful. Only regret I have was not stopping at one of the Hot Springs to take a dip.

Great thread! I've always been interested in the travels of Lewis and Clark. It's one of the interests that grew out of my life as a land surveyor and history / mapping buff. Thanks for posting all of the reference material. Looks like I have some more field trips to make.

Back
Top Bottom