Losing everything while traveling, whats your plan

He spoke multiple languages fluently, was a skilled assassin and fighter, had advanced technology training, foraging skills, crossed borders without detection

Ok. I have all of that covered.

Remember Jason Bourne in the Bourne Identity. He had a Swiss Safety Deposit box that was accessible with only passwords and no ID. He had details stored in a small laser device implanted under his skin on his body, that projected the details using a laser light. He accessed his bank box with this information and bio-identity (palm reader) and it had loads of passports, cash, a USB key, half a dozen credit cards, a handgun, etc. He had safe houses in multiple countries. He spoke multiple languages fluently, was a skilled assassin and fighter, had advanced technology training, foraging skills, crossed borders without detection, etc.

Looking at these requirements, I am almost there, except that I only have 4 credit cards :cool:

Kramer
Yeah, but you have extra passport photos taken in different dress. OMG - Kramer is one up on Jason Bourne :LOL:

The "How to Send Money Online" page on Western Union's site says a "call to confirm transaction" may be required before money sent online can be picked up. Does that mean that Western Union calls the sender, or that the sender calls Western Union?

Either could be problematic for anyone who doesn't have a cell phone or who just had it stolen.

http://bit.ly/bTYirv

Hmmmmm.

Edit: Just saw this elsewhere on the site:

Your online receipt will confirm or decline your transaction. If we need additional information to approve your transaction, we will ask you to call us to complete your transaction. Once your payment is approved, your transaction will be sent. A final confirmation receipt with your Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) will be emailed to you.

That doesn't do much to clear up the whole process in my mind, especially as a lifeline when you need money in a developing country.

I didn't see anything banning sending money to yourself via credit or debit card on Western Union site, but it asks you which state you are sending money from (not which country).

It says it depends on the destination country whether you can pickup with only identification or only a secret phrase or if both are required.

I have read before that to confirm transactions they may pull up your credit report and ask you personal questions over the phone about it. One option is to send money via debit card plus pin, maybe this would have less likelihood of security questions.

This seems like one more tool in the tool box, not something you can absolutely count on. I think the only way to really tell, is to try it when you are abroad.

I know at least if I have an account with Xoom and have it tied to a bank account, I can get a lot of money in 1-4 business days and have it sent to myself or a friend, without problems since that is not against their rules. But I will probably also try to set up an account with Western Union.

This seems like one more tool in the tool box, not something you can absolutely count on. I think the only way to really tell, is to try it when you are abroad.

Agree 100%. I would not ask Western Union for their official policy and then expect that to work when you really need it in an undeveloped country.

We have never had a problem with losing anything on a trip. We travel with two cc's, he carries one, and I have another. We each take an ATM card. I never carry a purse. I take only what I will need on day excursions and that will fit in pockets. I don't carry a purse because I know how I am. I will sit it down at lunch or on a bus, etc. And then it's gone. Since I have heard all the stories about thief's cutting straps on purses, I just opt to travel light. Everything else is in a safe place back at the hotel or on the ship. We also carry copies of our passport. I had not thought of a copy of my insurance card, but I might add that to the list.

When I was young I drove from the US through Mexico and into Guatemala in my new Ford Van. In Antigua, Guatemala, some kids broke my cozy window and took a bag with money, passport, traveler’s checks, my truck’s travel papers and a few personal items. This was in the early 70’s well before ATM’s and debit cards.

I was a man with no county and no record of my van being in country.

There was a civil war going on at the time and military check points were everywhere on the highways where I had to show both my passport and my truck’s papers. I took a chance and drove to Guatemala City where the US Embassy is, knowing they would help me. WRONG!

They accused me of selling my passport and more than once asked if I got a $1,000.00 for it. It was a humiliating experience where I had to act like a choir boy until they relented in giving me a temporary 90-Day passport. This was the easy part.

Lesson learned. The Government is not there to help us.

Then I had to get the proper documents from Guatemalan officials for my Van, which all needed the necessary stamps so that I could travel within their country. After piles of forms and ink stamps an Official hand-wrote a message on a page in my passport allowing me to leave Guatemala.

This process took ten days. Fortunately I was traveling with a friend who kept me sane.

We recently retraced some of my steps and visited Guatemala this time using public transport.

We travel with a packsafe to lock our gear in our room and we each have two debit cards with different accounts as well as two different credit cards.

I made our own “passport ID’s” (save those fees, Kramer) by taking photos of our first two pages of our passports and reducing them down to credit card size. Then I printed them and pasted the two back to back and had them laminated. Now we leave our passports either in our room or hotel safe and use the ID’s for when we are on the street. I have been asked for ID from time to time and never had an issue with our passport ID’s.

We made copies of our passport, credit cards and debit cards along with our birth certificates kept online and hard copies are in another location.

We carry a few hundred US Dollars in small denominations as an emergency fund which is secured once we find a room. Once settled into a place we work with local currency and divide that up and place into different locations.

We keep our credit cards and passports in the hotel safe when it makes sense and we always have extra passport photos with us available.

When walking around town, we carry Fidelity’s Fast Cash Card instead of our debit cards in case we might be robbed or our items stolen. The Fast Cash Card only allows the ATM user (or thief) to take out of the account the amount of money you have put into it - the card does not give access to your full account. Transfers from your original account to the Fast Cash account takes moments online for when you need it, but protects your original account from being drained by a thief.

Paypal does indeed have an international money transfer feature to over 60 countries. For instance I can send $500 USD to anyone with an email address in the Philippines (the hotel staff member? A girlfriend or trusted friend?) and it will cost me $2.50 USD to do so. The money is available in minutes.

The receiver logs into PayPal and can sign up for an account (free) to receive the money into their bank account. Sure… trust is necessary on both sides, but it’s an option and it only takes minutes to transfer the money, not days. I don’t know if there is a currency conversion fee but the $2.50 is for the transaction.

On international flights we always lock our bags. After going through security we are able to lock them up. We aren’t so much worried about what they might take, we are more concerned about what they might put in.

We have never used traveler’s checks. The sorts of places we visit those checks would not prove useful at all.

Regards,
Billy
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
The Adventurer's Guide to Chapala Living

Well, I think this thread is proving to be about he most useful one I've ever read on this board. :)

I took a chance and drove to Guatemala City where the US Embassy is, knowing they would help me. WRONG!

A seasoned American traveler once told me, "If you're ever in a foreign country and need help, skip the American embassy and go directly to the British embassy."

We travel with a packsafe to lock our gear in our room and we each have two debit cards with different accounts as well as two different credit cards
What do you typically lock the packsafe to?

we carry Fidelity’s Fast Cash Card
I'm having trouble finding this card on the web. Anybody have a link?

Paypal does indeed have an international money transfer feature to over 60 countries. For instance I can send $500 USD to anyone with an email address in the Philippines (the hotel staff member? A girlfriend or trusted friend?) and it will cost me $2.50 USD to do so. The money is available in minutes.
Doesnt it take a few days for the money to be transferred from the recipient's PayPal acct to his/her bank acct?

Billy, thanks for your post - it has some very useful info. You must have some great stories to tell. If I ever get down your way I'll buy you a beer and you can tell some...

Paypal looks like a good option. Exchange rate fees are a bit high but still compare favorably to Western Union or a large US bank. I also like the passport-ID.

Totally agree with your comment on the overseas US gov't reps. Not only are they not helpful, they are often mean-spirited.

Onward:
What do you typically lock the packsafe to?
We find the most stable, preferably attached-to-the-wall item we can find. Often it will be the plumbing in the bathroom. We wrap our PacSafe around a rollie backpack with our valuables inside, and then run the steel cable through the plumbing and again through the mesh of the PacSafe and lock it.

If the plumbing won’t work for you for some reason, then we locate something metal attached to the wall (TV stand?) and attach it there. Sometimes the solid wood beds in hotels might have a bedboard we can lace our cable through and that will work. Find the most inconvenient, full of hassle, stable, attached to the wall item to lock it through and use that.

I'm having trouble finding this card on the web. Anybody have a link?

Errgh. Gave you the wrong name. Sorry. It’s called Smart Cash (so you can get Fast Cash). Located on Fidelity’s site under mySmartCash Account. or call 1. 800. 323. 5353

They have some great features like allowing you to write checks from this account and they pay the postage.

We utilize this account to pay anything requiring a physical check in the States when we are abroad.

Doesnt it take a few days for the money to be transferred from the recipient's PayPal acct to his/her bank acct?

In my experience I sent an American friend who was living in Thailand at the time, money from my PayPal account while I was elsewhere in the world. He received it instantly into his PayPal account. But you might be right in that for him to retrieve it into his physical hands… he may have had to wait a couple of days.

MichaelB
Billy, thanks for your post - it has some very useful info. You must have some great stories to tell. If I ever get down your way I'll buy you a beer and you can tell some...

I’d like that. Anytime! We love to have visitors meet us in foreign locations. 'Course, we have been overseas so much even the States is like a foreign country to us now.

Paypal looks like a good option. Exchange rate fees are a bit high but still compare favorably to Western Union or a large US bank. I also like the passport-ID.

Passport ID has worked for us for years. We have all this information in our book.

Totally agree with your comment on the overseas US gov't reps. Not only are they not helpful, they are often mean-spirited.

Go figure… A little customer service goes a long way.

Billy
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
The Adventurer’s Guide to Chapala Living

Anyone else find this thread kinda scary?

Attachments

• i-iz-scared-k-ill-come-out.jpg
    i-iz-scared-k-ill-come-out.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 5

Not really. 99% of the time, a prepared traveler will have some or most of what he needs hidden on his person or in his hotel room. Or will not have lost everything. Ie - you may get pickpocketed, but still have your luggage. Or you may have your luggage stolen, but have your passport, cash, most of your credit and ATM cars, etc in your money belt or day pack. In fact it is pretty hard to imagine a scenario where you have EVERYTHING stolen short of getting robbed literally naked while on the bus or in a taxi while in between cities and they take all the luggage too.

And add to this the fact that the majority of trips end up being uneventful and no significant theft or robbery occurs at all.

I guess the alternative is that we could all lock ourselves into our barred-window, fireproof house and live a safe and uneventful long life! :D

I guess the alternative is that we could all lock ourselves into our barred-window, fireproof house and live a safe and uneventful long life! :D

Since when does travel = an eventful and purposeful life? I've traveled more than most and don't agree with this at all. A meaningful life is where you find it - at home or around the globe. As the old saying goes, wherever you go, there you are.

Not really. All you're talking about is a few pieces of paper (or thumbdrive) that you only need to set up once.

And (I don't know if it's been stated), I do have a checklist (with a column for me and one for my DW) that is filled out before/after every trip (did I tell you I'm anal?)

It also includes "end-of-trip" items, such as holding boarding ticket stubs until we receive credit on our airline programs, maintaining copies of receipts to cross-check against our bank/CC cards, and re-stocking of clothing items. This last item may seem strange, but when we pack for a new trip, we always pack old underwear, socks, etc. and discard them during the trip. Since we "restocked" at the end of the previous trip, we know we have "new stuff" waiting at home and we don't need to do any hurried shopping when we get back.

It also reduces volume (not necessarily weight) in our luggage on the way back, but does allow us to pack those extra "treasures" we purchased along the way.

Just the opposite. Excellent tips, and it’s reassuring when other experienced and reputable travelers share (and validate) similar concerns regarding backup plans and general preparedness.

Key takeaways from this thread:

Losing all your stuff when traveling in a foreign country is a low probability event but it happens.

The time and effort needed to have an actionable and effective backup and recovery plan is minimal when compared to the cost and effort to recover without one.

It’s like fire insurance for your house.

I've had to call a credit card company while overseas but that's about the worst of it. I don't think I had to cancel a card or anything. In fact, I called the international number on the card, which I still had.

But now, I've put all that info including my passport number into 1Password app. for the iPhone (they offered it for free a few months ago but now it's $15). There is also a desktop client to which you can sync all your passwords and wallet items like passport, credit cards, drivers license etc.

One thing it doesn't do is store pictures. Otherwise, I'd take a picture of my passport and keep it on the iPhone. Of course there are other apps. like Evernote which can store images in the cloud.

The thing though is my iPhone tends to be with my wallet so maybe this isn't the best strategy. But I know I couldn't keep pieces of paper with vita personal info. on it without losing them.

I've traveled a bit (300+ trips, 30+ countries) and have NEVER had any ID or luggage stolen except checked luggage once, probably just luck of the draw. But here is my backup in case I do.

I made a spreadsheet that is not only password protected but also encrypted and then I emailed it to myself at both Google and Yahoo accounts. The spreadsheet is easy. Pick a code word to encrypt with. Say: TIMBERLAND
That represents 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0.

Insert a passport image into the spreadsheet with only the # blanked.
Passport # say 190456440 would encrypt to TNDBELBBD written in spreadsheet
VISA # = BERL DNAL BMIT exp date = TT/TD code = REB
VISA Hot Line = 1-800-456-7890
AMEX #= (same process)
Airline ticket # = UA568909 Phone # = local and US numbers
Hotel booking # for each one, Phone # for each one
Etc, etc.

I email it to myself with password protection (double safe) and then make 3 paper copies folded and put in those very thin laminating cards from Office Depot, put one under the insert in my shoe, and the others in the baggage ID tag and toiletry kit. There is nothing on it that means anything but to me the codeword keeper.

I have 4 $100 dollar bills that are getting old and frayed now but I keep one in my Eagle Creek travel belt, another in the lining of my latest travel bag, one is inside my toiletry kit which will be separte from the suitcase when in the room, and the other is under my shoe insert in a tiny zip lock.

The only way I can be without money and credentials and CC details is to be totally stripped naked on a street in Boliva while at the same time someone is robbing my room to the point of taking my toiletries.

That would make a great travel story.

Great tips on this thread. Like others have suggested, we keep photocopies of our passports, and non-toll free numbers to our credit cards. I haven't had too many problems with credit cards being denied, but always carry a spare. I've always notified credit cards and my credit unions of my overseas travel.

If traveling with a child, it is a good idea to travel with a copy of the child's birth certificate. In this era of international child abduction, you might be asked to prove its your kid. I've never been asked this and I don't completely understand how a birth certificate (which can be forged) proves parentage but I figure it doesn't hurt!

DW and I also carry discreet money belts and multiple wallets. I think above all, being discreet with cameras, flashy clothing etc helps. Spreading money in multiple places seems to be good too. Travelers checks definitely don't have the usefulness that they used to.

Lots of great suggestions. I did check on using Paypal to transfer money to the Philippines, and it appears that the only way to send money there is to another person's bank account, and it takes a number of business days. I did not see any type of Western Union type money pickup service, probably because of fraud. I am definitely going to open a Xoom.com account and get it attached to one of my bank accounts. Then I may test it once when I am there by sending cash to myself. The fees are low. Some banks have slower transfers than others (e.g., HSBC), I know that my Everbank account has faster transfer, something to consider.

Getting everything stolen is a *lot* worse than getting most of your things stolen. So that means being extra careful whenever you are changing locations, and you have all your things with you. I am going to be more careful about wearing my waist belt in these situations, sometimes I have gotten a little too comfortable and not done that.

Finally, I recall when I was reading travel forums before I started traveling extensively. It seems much more common to FORGET something than to get it stolen. So best to be careful when hiding stuff not to forget it :whistle:

It seems much more common to FORGET something than to get it stolen. So best to be careful when hiding stuff not to forget it :whistle:

Yes - I don't know how many times I hide a $20 bill somewhere, then while unpacking a week later I mysteriously find $20 here and $40 there. :D Or a whole wad of peso notes balled up in a bag or bottom of the suitcase, or stuffed in a sock or something.

Then I may test it once when I am there by sending cash to myself.

I'll be very interested to know how it goes. Are you going to try Xoom's "cash pickup" feature?

I'll be very interested to know how it goes. Are you going to try Xoom's "cash pickup" feature?
Yes. So the source would be a bank account transfer that I initiate online, sending money to myself. I would then get notified when it is available. I would then pick up the money myself, using identification. The cost for the service is about 2% (via low exchange rate) plus $5.00.

Kramer

High quality photos of passport data page stored in two different email accounts.

Pulled insoles out of shoes. Inserted sealed plastic bag containing three $100 bills. Glued insoles back.

Have sister and long time friend in the states who will drop everything to wire me money if I ever request it. I keep money in my Skype account and have the login info memorized.

One of my banks is USAA. Any international problem I've tossed to them they handled with ease. I expect (hope?) the speed with which they send me new ATM cards will be up to their usual stellar customer service standard.

Back
Top Bottom