Losing everything while traveling, whats your plan

Most CC's can also overnight (or close to it) a replacement card to you most places in the world. Maybe 2-3 days to some places (Cambodia for example).
Fuego, this is not my experience. AmEx might be able to do something where they have an office – say, Mexico City or Tokyo, but for Visa and MC you need to deal with the issuing bank. My experience is 5 business days.

Thanks for the great tips. I have some follow-up questions, but first I will describe what I do.

I carry photos of everything in an infrequently accessed email account (front/back ATM/CCs/Debits, passport, drivers license, list of phone numbers, visas in my passport). I update this before every extended trip. Naturally, I also carry copies of my passport and the phone numbers in my luggage and usually carry a passport copy on my person.

I plan to start photographing my entry stamps after entry, thanks for the suggestion Michael. (most, but not all, country's systems are computerized nowadays so could pull up your exit/entry/visa history with your passport number). After getting your passport stolen and then replaced, you would also have to go to the immigration office of the country in which you are in. I consider the biggest disaster no cash, after that it is no identification. But if you have cash you can survive and stay safe.

I have a charged Skype account so I can call USA numbers without charges from anywhere in the world and other country's numbers at Skype rates. Of course, oftentimes the connection will not be good if you have low bandwidth, it could definitely be an issue from some places. When I place calls from my Skype account, the caller ID shows the phone number that is on record with my financial companies. Also, if I have a local mobile phone sim, when those companies call that USA phone number my local mobile phone will ring when I turn Skype forwarding on.

I would not think of going on an extended trip (1 month plus) with less than 3 ATM cards (I rarely if ever use a CC in a developing country, except to purchase plane tickets). I guess in a developed country trip of less than a month, I would put the minimum at 2 ATM cards and a reliable CC. I will normally have 3-4 ATM cards, which I try to never carry together, for my multi-month trips -- yes, I opened bank accounts primarily for this purpose. As an example, last year in Colombia the Star system, one of the major international ATM networks for Visa I think, went out. No one, including banks on both ends, even understood the problem for several days. The bottom line is that many people in the country, even expats who had not opened up a local bank account, could get no ATM money for something like 9 days. My cards are also diversified across ATM networks (including Cirrus) so I didn't have this problem, and I no longer let myself get low on cash.

If I am not established in a place, say with local or expat friends but just passing through, I will normally carry an ATM card on my person outside of my hotel room. This is in case everything got stolen at the hotel. I also keep some cash in a couple different places in my bags.

Kramer

Fuego, this is not my experience. AmEx might be able to do something where they have an office – say, Mexico City or Tokyo, but for Visa and MC you need to deal with the issuing bank. My experience is 5 business days.
Yes, I am wondering about the details of getting a Visa card replaced in a foreign country, I think this can be difficult.

I think many places will only send a replacement card to the address of record. My address of record is a mail forwarding place -- and they could FedEx cards to me. Of course, the credit card I use to fund my mail forwarding costs I carry on my trip and could be stolen (so I couldn't fund the FedEx). This and other reasons has got me to thinking that I have to leave a valid debit or credit card at home in the USA that I can use online, along with knowing its security code of course.

Also, getting a replacement card without identification, if there was some local way of doing it, could be very difficult, until you got your passport replaced. Same goes for cashing travelers checks -- they seem to always require your passport.

I have been assuming 1-2 weeks to get any replacement cards in a developing country. Maybe faster in a developed country.

You're probably right. It has been 10 years since I lost almost everything in Mexico. I remember the Amex credit card was the first thing to arrive. I can't recall whether I had Visa or MC's with me or had them replaced. There was an American Express office in Cuernavaca where I was staying and I went there. Perhaps amex sent my replacement amex card to their own office and I picked it up from there?? Can't recall honestly. They offered cash but I don't remember if that is how I got the cash or whether my ATM card survived the theft. (Pick-pocketed in Mexico city). IIRC the cash from Amex would have been a cash advance (hence lots of fees and interest) although a small price to pay if you are really in an emergency. I wasn't in an emergency since I was there on study abroad and had my room and board prepaid with a local family, hence didn't have to have a lot of spending money.

If I am not established in a place, say with local or expat friends but just passing through, I will normally carry an ATM card on my person outside of my hotel room. This is in case everything got stolen at the hotel. I also keep some cash in a couple different places in my bags.

We have experienced as much theft in developing countries from our luggage as from pickpockets (no robberies so far! :D ). The theft probably occurred in the hotel, but possibly when our luggage was checked and placed under the bus, if someone snuck in the luggage compartment while en route and went through everyone's stuff.

Agreed on the priorities - having ENOUGH cash/access to cash to get you stabilized, housed and fed is first priority. 2nd is getting passports and visas.

Thanks for the discussion. We may add some extra layers of safety to our next trip - extra ATM cards diversified across networks is a good idea (well, at least 2).

What really got me to thinking about this is that I am getting rid of my traveler's checks, which I increasingly think are mostly useless. I am traveling to the Philippines in October, and they are mostly useless there. I am currently living in Colombia.

I started researching this wiring money to yourself concept. I plan to start an account with Xoom and then I could wire myself money from a bank account (fees are $5 plus about 2% on the exchange rate, pickup money almost anywhere). But you need identification to pick up the money. And you can't send yourself money via a credit card, it is not allowed as it is considered an end run around a cash advance. Sending money via a bank account takes 1-4 business days, typically.

So I figured my backup plan if I lost everything would be to wire someone on the hotel staff money using Xoom and the credit card that I left at home. Then I would send myself money via the bank account method, and probably pick it up near an American embassy/consulate after I got a new passport.

Most/All of the wire services will want to call you to confirm if you do an internet transaction. If your phone was also stolen, this could get real difficult. I have heard of them asking detailed questions culled from your credit records and many legitimate people were getting refused because they couldn't remember their address from 8 years ago or something like that or missed one of the questions (not just for credit card security but because of the Patriot Act).

I have family and friends who could reliably send me Western Union money (or to a hotel staff member that I specify). Maybe I should call to remind them that this is always a possibility!

I am horrible for losing stuff. I will admit this before going on with this next part....

I have 3 times lost my CC's while out of the US. The one I talked about above earlier this year in Nicaragua. Once in London and the other time in Bolivia.

The one in Nicaragua took 2 days to get to me. They send it fed ex to the hotel/eco lodge I was staying at. A FedEx motorcyclist delivered it from the Capital. A VERY small town, where no place, including the hotel, has a street address. The BOA agent didn't give me a hard time at all about that, she laughed about sending the CC out to a hotel with no address or phone # but I assured her it would find me, as I said, small town, and it did. They told me they were going to charge me $35 but they never did.

Bolivia happened back in 2007 and took Citi about 3 days if I remember correctly and it was delivered to the friends home I was staying with.

The time I lost one in London was next day and this was probably 10 years ago. Don't recall which bank.

As I said in the post before however, my Credit Union wouldn't send me a replacement ATM card, no way no how. But, Western Union worked out better anyway.

These are my personal experiences only.

Hopefully, you can still have a hotel room. So the first thing is to get back there & hopefully, they'll allow you the use of a phone and/or internet. You may not have an consulate/embassy in the town or even area that you're in, so don't count on that.

We have online, protected, copies of our passports & other information including reservation confirmations etc., so that would be where we'd start. I have online accounts for my credit cards/banks so I could get to them.

I have never planned for this drastic a situation, but will definitely keep it in mind the next time we're traveling.

I scan stuff and put it on a thumb drive that I travel with. There's certainly a risk of losing that, but I treat it like a valuable.

Photocopies of entry/exit stamps are also useful if you have a tax with federal or state tax authorities.

Kramer, on your next trip to the US you might think about ordering copies of your birth certificate, and having one along with you when you return overseas. Makes dealing with US consular offices [-]easier[/-] less difficult. Keep another copy in the US with relatives.

Agree with you on travelers checks – less relevant every day.

I’ve always relied on a family member for emergency. They have been reliable but not always punctual. The xoom idea is good because it does not depend on anyone else.

Identification. If you’ve lost all your things, how do you identify yourself in an emergency. You could get a passport card and keep it separate from your passport. It won’t replace the passport for travel purposes but it should work fine for identification. This is my current plan. I keep expired passports for the same purpose. I used an expired driver’s license for years. The combination of the passport photocopy and another valid credit card might do.

If I was overseas and lost everything I would send out a message requesting money to all my friends on Facebook.

If I was overseas and lost everything I would send out a message requesting money to all my friends on Facebook.

Good point. Even if I couldn't get the money to call internationally, if I could log into facebook or gmail, I could instant message some people and ask them to send $$ via western union or via wire transfer to the nearest bank.

Good point. Even if I couldn't get the money to call internationally, if I could log into facebook or gmail, I could instant message some people and ask them to send $$ via western union or via wire transfer to the nearest bank.
Too late. The scammers have already been there. If I was that message, you could be my best buddy, it would get ignored.

I am horrible for losing stuff. I will admit this before going on with this next part....

I have 3 times lost my CC's while out of the US. The one I talked about above earlier this year in Nicaragua. Once in London and the other time in Bolivia.

The one in Nicaragua took 2 days to get to me. They send it fed ex to the hotel/eco lodge I was staying at. A FedEx motorcyclist delivered it from the Capital. A VERY small town, where no place, including the hotel, has a street address. The BOA agent didn't give me a hard time at all about that, she laughed about sending the CC out to a hotel with no address or phone # but I assured her it would find me, as I said, small town, and it did. They told me they were going to charge me $35 but they never did.

Bolivia happened back in 2007 and took Citi about 3 days if I remember correctly and it was delivered to the friends home I was staying with.

The time I lost one in London was next day and this was probably 10 years ago. Don't recall which bank.

As I said in the post before however, my Credit Union wouldn't send me a replacement ATM card, no way no how. But, Western Union worked out better anyway.

These are my personal experiences only.
Actually, I find the prompt replacement very reassuring, thanks for the detailed information. I think getting that first card replaced is the key. Cost is not an issue -- $35 charge, no problem!

On the Credit Union refusing to replace your card, that is definitely yet another reason to have multiple cards. I even had my ATM card eaten by an ATM machine once in the USA near my home, and I couldn't get the card back for 3 days. And this was at a bank location.

Photocopies of entry/exit stamps are also useful if you have a tax with federal or state tax authorities.

Kramer, on your next trip to the US you might think about ordering copies of your birth certificate, and having one along with you when you return overseas. Makes dealing with US consular offices [-]easier[/-] less difficult. Keep another copy in the US with relatives.

Agree with you on travelers checks – less relevant every day.

I’ve always relied on a family member for emergency. They have been reliable but not always punctual. The xoom idea is good because it does not depend on anyone else.

Identification. If you’ve lost all your things, how do you identify yourself in an emergency. You could get a passport card and keep it separate from your passport. It won’t replace the passport for travel purposes but it should work fine for identification. This is my current plan. I keep expired passports for the same purpose. I used an expired driver’s license for years. The combination of the passport photocopy and another valid credit card might do.
Michael, more good advice. I just looked into the passport card. It looks like around $55 fee plus mailing costs plus I need to send my passport book in with the request. Since my time in the USA is normally limited, that means I need to pay $60 extra for an expedited application. So will probably not pay the $120 or so dollars just to have one more backup ID but I will get one next time I add pages to my passport or renew it. I do have two USA driver's licenses (one no longer valid) and an expired passport, so having these along could be handy.

I may only have one copy of the birth certificate, I will have to see on that when I return to the USA. Again, ordering copies are quite expensive and there are strict guidelines due to fraud. For sure, I will take a copy of it, though, and take a picture.

I am also planning on getting one of these:

Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products

PacSafe travel safe for locking passport and a couple of cards up in the hotel room when there is no safe. Just be sure not to forget about it and leave it behind!! Another reason never to keep everything together.

I was thinking that traveler's checks could be a good backup in case international communications are down. But there is apparently a lot of fraud with them and I wonder if they would even cash them in such a situation. I have been carrying around the same traveler's checks for 3 years now. I have cashed in part of the original stash I bought a few times, and it seems like there were some difficulties each time.

Paypal seemed to have a send money internationally option on one of their online menus, but I have not investigated that yet.

I still don't have evidence of anyone successfully wiring money to themselves using a credit card except for one guy who did it, he changed his name slightly so that it went through. (as in his credit card did not have his middle name but he sent it to himself with the middle name added, this was using Xoom). It sounds like you can't always count on this, or really any of these methods, they are all tools, things to try in an emergency. Just like investments, it is best to be diversified and knowledgeable.

Another thing to have handy is a list of American consulates and embassies in your country(s) of destination along with contact info, both written down and online so it is handy.

To get around the sending money to yourself with your own CC thing: you can receive money via Western Union without an ID, you just use a password/phrase. So you, using your CC, can send it to Mr/Ms. Joe Blow and tell them that Joe Blow must use the phrase "Purple People Eater" to pick up the money. Then You, Mr or Ms Joe Blow goes into Western Union and picks up the money using the password you have set..

Too late. The scammers have already been there. If I was that message, you could be my best buddy, it would get ignored.

I was really referring to contacting my closest people. My brother, good old friend from high school, certain friends or coworkers. People who I could clearly identify myself to by demonstrating specific knowledge that a scammer wouldn't have. I knew about that scam and I would hope my friends are smart enough to not send money to a blanket request. I am talking about using gchat or facebook messenger to ask specific people who are frequently online for specific help. The people I know probably wouldn't just send $300 to me unless they could identify it was me (one would hope!).

you can receive money via Western Union without an ID, you just use a password/phrase

Has anybody here actually done this successfully? I ask because it's the only (?) solution the situation I worry about most: having everything taken. While I was in Peru this year a busload of tourists was held up. The thieves took everything, including the bus and the tourists' clothes. The tourists were left naked on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere.

Now that's a scenario to work through!

I have not personally done it but went with someone at my language school who picked up money with only a password or "test phrase". The only thing I would worry about is making it too long or difficult to understand if the receiver is in a country that is not their native language.

Has anybody here actually done this successfully? I ask because it's the only (?) solution the situation I worry about most: having everything taken. While I was in Peru this year a busload of tourists was held up. The thieves took everything, including the bus and the tourists' clothes. The tourists were left naked on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere.

Oh boy :blush:.........I'm planning a trip to Peru next year. Maybe I should have some underwear tattooed on before I go.

Well, if that happened, money wouldn't be of much to you until you got to a town, at which point you would presumably be in the company of law enforcement. You would also have journalists wanting to take your picture, and you would have a legitimate reason to ask to be issued with a barrel :D and taken to the nearest US Consulate.

My daughter spent a couple of weeks in Bangkok with a school friend whose mother worked at the Belgian embassy there. Friend's Mom said that they got a lot of stranded tourists, but they were typically married men who had been ripped off by sex workers and got the strict minimum service from the embassy. They were actually pleased when someone came in who had been a victim of something which wasn't largely of their own making and that they wanted to help out.

Remember Jason Bourne in the Bourne Identity. He had a Swiss Safety Deposit box that was accessible with only passwords and no ID. He had details stored in a small laser device implanted under his skin on his body, that projected the details using a laser light. He accessed his bank box with this information and bio-identity (palm reader) and it had loads of passports, cash, a USB key, half a dozen credit cards, a handgun, etc. He had safe houses in multiple countries. He spoke multiple languages fluently, was a skilled assassin and fighter, had advanced technology training, foraging skills, crossed borders without detection, etc.

Looking at these requirements, I am almost there, except that I only have 4 credit cards :cool:

Kramer

Check with your credit card company - I just got cards with chips a few weeks ago after I saw an announcement on their web site.

Ditto from me on all the recommendations to call the card companies' customer service for a "travel alert".

Back
Top Bottom