Losing everything while traveling, whats your plan

Can't resist this as it reminds me of a real story published in our local english newspaper in Hong Kong couple of years back. A tourist (won't mention which nationality but he can't speak English) lost everything and was separated from his friend while touring in Hong Kong. He spent 3 days sleeping in the streets, picking up money he found in the streets (around HKD3) to take the ferry from where he was lost and then walked all the way back to his hotel. His friend had (during his absence) reported to their consulate and local police that he was lost. When he was asked why he did not approach people on the street or local policemen to ask for help, he said he could not speak English. He had not eaten much during the 3-day ordeal and was exhausted when he finally reached his hotel.

Trust me, I'm not making this up.

As a military member in South America, I work very closely with the embassy community and see first hand how much effort they put into helping Americans in these scenarios at whatever time of day (it's usually at 2AM after someone has been mugged in the wrong part of town). Embassies and Consulates have special funds to "repatriate" Americans who have been robbed. It is essentially a loan for a plane ticket home, but you can't leave the USA again until it is paid back. Yea, the trip is over, but you get home.
In regard to letting your bank know that you are going overseas, USAA's (so I imagine it is true of many banks) web site allows you to do this up to 30 days in advance. I prefer doing it myself because I can see that the data has been entered correctly. Before the advent of this system I used to have CC problems all the time (30+ countries), but have had none since then.
I also remember that we have things of value other than cash and CCs. The street value of a pair of Levi's or a camera down here is worth at least a hotel room and some internet time. I can get pretty far on that.

I just spoke to a Consular friend about the "repatriation" loan. It's more complicated and has more consequences than I thought. I'll get the real scoop and post better info.

Great thread !
I also have put money under my shoe insole when going out in sketchy places like Rio in Brazil. In my many years of international travel I have been robbed twice, once about 15 years ago in Athens Greece and once in San Jose Costa Rica about 4 years ago. Keeping a low profile and not showing signs of wealth is important. Even wearing a $50 watch or sunglasses in some countries is asking for problems.

Great thread !
I also have put money under my shoe insole when going out in sketchy places like Rio in Brazil. In my many years of international travel I have been robbed twice, once about 15 years ago in Athens Greece and once in San Jose Costa Rica about 4 years ago. Keeping a low profile and not showing signs of wealth is important. Even wearing a $50 watch or sunglasses in some countries is asking for problems.

I Got robbed in Athens by a pickpocket gang headed by a fake orthodox priest.

In Athens, I was robbed by two (very skilled) Albanian Gypsies....but, I followed them until I saw a policeman, went to the police station, and got my money back.

A quick thread update, I have not found Traveler's Checks very helpful. They were very difficult to cash in Colombia and they are almost worthless in the Philippines. Since I am headed next to the Philippines, I decided to sell them during the few weeks I am in the USA. I don't have a local bank account where I am currently located in the USA (as would be expected from most travelers). So I went to the bank (even the same bank branch) that issued me the traveler's checks some time ago, on a previous visit, and they would not cash them. Sorry, no account here, sir, we can't cash them even if you bought them here! I went to the next closest bank listed on American Express web site, sorry can't cash them here, no account! They both said the reason is that without an account they have "no recourse" (e.g., collecting the money from you later in case the checks turn out to be fraudulent) -- I think Traveler's Check fraud must have become more widespread.

Finally, the third bank cashed them for me (Citibank), mostly as a favor. I may never get Traveler's Checks again.

I did pick up the Pacsafe Travel Safe 100:

Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products

Actually, I got two, one for a friend. I got a barely used one on Ebay ($35) and a new one for $40 including all costs from an obscure outfit called Tamper Seal: TSA Luggage Locks, TSA Locks, Luggage & Travel Supplies Free Shipping.

I also tested xoom.com for sending money to someone overseas and it worked like a charm. It took about 4 hours from going to the web site until the friend picked up the money overseas. They take that time to approve the transaction. It gets faster as you use it more often. I plan to send money to myself next time.

I talked with the two relatives who would send me money in a crisis and already told them the personal information, something that only they and I would know, that I would share with them in a message in the event I needed money in an emergency. So they could be sure it was me.

Happy traveling!

You probably forgot to tithe, so he was just helping himself to God's share!

A quick thread update, I have not found Traveler's Checks very helpful. They were very difficult to cash in Colombia and they are almost worthless in the Philippines.
Yes, travelers checks have gone the way of the typewriter. I have not used them for years. ATMs are a far better option for getting cash.

Here is another way to avoid a major hassle when PT or living overseas. When overseas, make color copies of critical documents (such as your US drivers license) and carry a plasticized color copy. It only costs a few dollars. The local police can never tell the difference and if it gets lost or stolen while your out, you can just make another copy of your original drivers license. I also carry a black and white copy of my passport and leave my passport in a safe place.

Surf

Back
Top Bottom