Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think we're probably going to go to Vermont and stay at a bed and breakfast there. Take a look at the foliage, take a tour of the Ben & Jerry's plant, eat some food, see some covered bridges.

Crazy Connie's Newport, RI idea with the mansions there is appealing as well. Maybe we'll do both. ;-)

I did look into everyone's suggestions, and maybe we'll toss a couple of those in the ring at some point as well. Maybe I'll resurrect this thread in a few months and toss in some pictures. If anyone has specific suggestions of bed & breakfasts or particular attractions, I'd be happy to here from you via PM or in this thread if it is of potential public interest.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. I think we're probably going to go to Vermont and stay at a bed and breakfast there. Take a look at the foliage, take a tour of the Ben & Jerry's plant, eat some food, see some covered bridges.

Crazy Connie's Newport, RI idea with the mansions there is appealing as well. Maybe we'll do both. ;-)

I did look into everyone's suggestions, and maybe we'll toss a couple of those in the ring at some point as well. Maybe I'll resurrect this thread in a few months and toss in some pictures. If anyone has specific suggestions of bed & breakfasts or particular attractions, I'd be happy to here from you via PM or in this thread if it is of potential public interest.
You are not far from Massachusettes, and I can recomend Boston for a day visit. If you like Ice cream, try a Heberts candy mansion. They have 3 locations around Boston and suburbs.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I second the Boston idea with maybe a drive up the coast for the foliage or western Mass . especially the Northampton ,Amherst area .
Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #24

If you are going to the new England area for fall foliage you might want to book a room in advance as its a popular destination and hotels and motels and BB's can get full.Stowe is a neat little artsy type town.Conway is great for outlet malls and behind the train station downtown is a great railway museum.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
You are not far from Massachusettes, and I can recomend Boston for a day visit. If you like Ice cream, try a Heberts candy mansion. They have 3 locations around Boston and suburbs.
Can you recommend additional things to do/see and places to stay in Boston? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #26

I have not been to Boston (other than for work) since I was a kid. We did consider Boston for a honeymoon, but it did not make the final list.

But here is a list we compiled when honeymoon shopping:

1) there is a square by Harvard, I believe- I have been told to visit there
2) fisherman's warf
3) cheers
4) freedom trail (old north church and similar)
5) there was a village with old 16th and 17th century dress I remember seeing
6) Sam Adams brewery
7) I will mention Heberts again- my wife LOVED the things I would bring her from Heberts whenever I worked in the area.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Take the sightseeing trolley . It will take you to all the sights and you can get on and off . Depending on how much time you spend there you may need two days on the trolley . Walk the freedom trail . It's well marked and very interesting . Watch the street vendors at Faneuil Hall . Have a beer at cheers . Walk harvard square ( it is not what you imagined ) . Go to the half price ticket place and get tickets for Blue Man Group ( fun but not at full price ).Go to the Aquarium . Take the ferry over to Provincetown . As you can see there is a lot to do . I've been there a lot and I never tire of it . It's neck & neck with San Francisco as my favorite city .
Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Take the sightseeing trolley . It will take you to all the sights and you can get on and off . Depending on how much time you spend there you may need two days on the trolley .
reminds me of the opening for one cheers episode where some old guy was giving bus tours of the city and said that cheers was where some big revolutionary war meeting or something took place, just so the trolley/bus driver could get an irish coffee.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #29

If you've never been, consider a trip to our nation's capital. DC is beautiful and there's so much to see and do. Excellent public transit to all the major attractions. October is a great time to go; the weather is perfect. I love, love DC and the surrounding area; it will bring out your "closet patriot".
Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
If you've never been, consider a trip to our nation's capital. DC is beautiful and there's so much to see and do. Excellent public transit to all the major attractions. October is a great time to go; the weather is perfect. I love, love DC and the surrounding area; it will bring out your "closet patriot".

We went there last Thanksgiving and had a great time . Stayed at one of the Kimpton Hotels which I highly recommend .