Mid-October trip suggestions?

Kronk

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I are planning a trip this fall. Or trying to, anyhow, and haven't been very successful.

We're planning around DW's grad school fall break, so we're looking no longer than a week. We're outside of Philly.

Considered a New England/Canada cruise, but the timing of the cruises was just a bit off.

Considered Iceland, until we realized that duh, Iceland in October isn't a great time to go.

Maybe we're still considering Quebec, but at the time we go, I'd really like to stay at Le Chateau Frontenac. Just because it is so cool. The dates we're interested in are $400/night, though. $730 plane fare each. For that price we could make it to Europe. Driving would be 640 miles each way, which we would not be keen on.

Not interested in sun/sand destinations. Nor, really, American cities, unless there's an attraction around there we haven't thought of. Not hugely into museums, nor into nightlife. We're more into scenery, architecture (castles), good food, and ambiance. Any ideas?

Maybe the Finger Lakes, if you haven't been there before. That would be a beautiful time of year and in the midst of the grape harvest. The scenery is lovely and there are a lot of wineries perched on picturesque spots overlooking the enormous lakes. Geneva on the Lake has hoity-toity restaurants, etc., if that is your idea of a good time. And there are some amazing sights there, like Watkin's Glen and Taughannock Falls. If it rains for a day, the Corning Glass Museum is a wonder.

It's a possibility that DW has mentioned, though I'm not a little reluctant. Somehow it seems a little too close to home -- we both went to school at the University of Rochester. We've been to Skaneateles (friend's wedding) and (I think) near Geneva (wine tour). I believe I've been to the Corning Glass Museum at least twice, though the more recent time would have been 20 years ago.

We also considered Baltimore Inner Harbor, but that didn't quite seem a fit.

Since I'm tired of flying, here's our tentative next vacation idea: Drive to (for example) San Juan Islands, taking the bicycles, and stay at a nice inn. Each day, we'll go on a long bike ride, having lunch at some interesting place or picnicking, and then return to the inn.

The most important part of a vacation is the food, so combining it with exercise makes sense *cough* Wednesday Weigh Ins *cough*.

We considered an organized bicycle tour, but it seems more efficient (money wise) to organize it ourselves.

I'm sure you could find a similarly good place to bike -- possibly seeing some fall colors.

It's a possibility that DW has mentioned, though I'm not a little reluctant. Somehow it seems a little too close to home -- we both went to school at the University of Rochester. We've been to Skaneateles (friend's wedding) and (I think) near Geneva (wine tour). I believe I've been to the Corning Glass Museum at least twice, though the more recent time would have been 20 years ago.

We also considered Baltimore Inner Harbor, but that didn't quite seem a fit.

Smoky Mountains maybe? Its on my list, although I have never been there. DW spent a week in college backpacking in the wild there and said its was beautiful.

DW has never ridden a bicycle (and has no desire to learn). Backpacking would also be really low down on her list. Are we tough or what? :D

Since you were considering the New England , Canada cruise , why not go to Portland ,maine and take the ferry to Nova Scotia .

New England is very popular at that time of year as the leaves changing color can be spectacular,of course it would involve driving.

Never ever ridden a bicycle? [-]What planet is she from[/-] Where did she grow up?

Shenandoah National Park, down in Virginia, which should be reaching peak leaf change right around then? I mostly go for the hiking, but there are plenty of great views from the road or just off of it, and there's wineries and nice bed and breakfast places just outside the park proper.

Paris is nice that time of year, not so many tourists, reasonable flights, and still pleasant enough to walk around.

I'll second wine tasting in the finger lakes. I've done that before and would go back again.

Colorado is a great place to visit- Denver, Colorado Springs, Rocky Mountain National park and similar is a vacation I would also do again.

Not interested in sun/sand destinations. Nor, really, American cities, unless there's an attraction around there we haven't thought of. Not hugely into museums, nor into nightlife. We're more into scenery, architecture (castles), good food, and ambiance. Any ideas?

How about Thailand? It's cheap to visit, not a lot of museums but pretty impressive Buddhist statues and temples. People are friendly and food's great (provided you like Thai food of course!)

Opps, sorry, just read that you are in Philly. That would be a long flight! In light of this new information, I'll second the Paris recommendation! ;)

Fall foliage in Vermont. I'd opt for one of the bike tours that goes from one picturesque town to the next each day. They put you up in beautiful B&B's each night and all meals are planned, although there is nothing to stop you from venturing off on your own when/if you want. A hearty breakfast, lunch on the road and usually a great group dinner at a B&B or local restaurant. Our trip was spectacular. They transport your luggage/belongings during the day. They provide bikes and there were 4 routes each day, although everyone starts and ends at the same place. The longest route (around 60 miles) appealed to serious bikers, but the shortest route (about 10 miles) was something almost anyone could handle with no real preparation. But there are many ways to enjoy fall foliage in Vermont/New England. An option...

Last edited:
What about the big homes in Newport RI? Isn't that where there are some of the magnificent estate/castle types? That along with the fall foliage sounds like a relaxing time to me.

The Frontenac is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed in, well worth whatever I paid. That was 20 yrs. ago so $400 sounds like a good rate. It would be great to just hang out together there. I like hotels from that era that are connected to the railroads, I liked just walking up from the station to the hotel. And it does feel like a foreign place although they speak English, what it is? one finger for French, two for English? The people were friendlier than I would expect in other French speaking cities. Very romantic!

If you are looking to do a somewhat local trip, we did this driving tour from Phila once. We drove across PA and stopped 1/2 way at the Grand Canyon of PA. There is a rails-to-trails that goes along the river through the canyon. We biked it, but since that's not for you, you could hike it, take a rafting tour, or take a horse-drawn wagon ride (see pics).

We then drove to Lake Erie and enjoyed a night there, taking in the lake shore and hiking the trails on Presque Isle State Park (Presque Isle State Park).

Next we drove up to Niagra Falls and enjoyed a night or two there. While there we drove up the Canadian side and enjoyed the park trail that runs along the river. There were lots of boats on the river, and it was really relaxing. This is also wine country area, but we didn't explore that.

Also local to you is Jim Thorpe, PA. A fun place to stay for a night is Jim Thorpe Inn. Quaint and historical, with stories that it could be haunted. There is a train ride in the fall for leaf peeping; haven't done it but heard it is really nice.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think we're probably going to go to Vermont and stay at a bed and breakfast there. Take a look at the foliage, take a tour of the Ben & Jerry's plant, eat some food, see some covered bridges.

Crazy Connie's Newport, RI idea with the mansions there is appealing as well. Maybe we'll do both. ;-)

I did look into everyone's suggestions, and maybe we'll toss a couple of those in the ring at some point as well. Maybe I'll resurrect this thread in a few months and toss in some pictures. If anyone has specific suggestions of bed & breakfasts or particular attractions, I'd be happy to here from you via PM or in this thread if it is of potential public interest.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think we're probably going to go to Vermont and stay at a bed and breakfast there. Take a look at the foliage, take a tour of the Ben & Jerry's plant, eat some food, see some covered bridges.

Crazy Connie's Newport, RI idea with the mansions there is appealing as well. Maybe we'll do both. ;-)

I did look into everyone's suggestions, and maybe we'll toss a couple of those in the ring at some point as well. Maybe I'll resurrect this thread in a few months and toss in some pictures. If anyone has specific suggestions of bed & breakfasts or particular attractions, I'd be happy to here from you via PM or in this thread if it is of potential public interest.

You are not far from Massachusettes, and I can recomend Boston for a day visit. If you like Ice cream, try a Heberts candy mansion. They have 3 locations around Boston and suburbs.

I second the Boston idea with maybe a drive up the coast for the foliage or western Mass . especially the Northampton ,Amherst area .

If you are going to the new England area for fall foliage you might want to book a room in advance as its a popular destination and hotels and motels and BB's can get full.Stowe is a neat little artsy type town.Conway is great for outlet malls and behind the train station downtown is a great railway museum.

You are not far from Massachusettes, and I can recomend Boston for a day visit. If you like Ice cream, try a Heberts candy mansion. They have 3 locations around Boston and suburbs.

Can you recommend additional things to do/see and places to stay in Boston? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom