Mobile Passport ve Global Entry

FWIW, Trusted Traveler also works in Canada. I have used it several times to bypass long security lines in the Toronto airport.

Last edited:
How much domestic travel will you do during the 5 years? You also get TSA Pre-Check with Global Entry so that might make it worth it. GE is also good for SENTRI and NEXUS lanes when driving back from Mexico and Canada respectively. It's not good for NEXUS lanes going into Canada though.

If GE is free and you don't have to travel out of town for an interview, which was our case, then yes, it's definitely worth it. Otherwise you have to weigh the inconvenience of getting to the interview against the benefits. How is it that only one of you is free though? Our CC and others I've seen will rebate up to 2 GE fees every 5 years.

We might do a few domestic travels in the next 5 years. Some times, for no reason I can discern, we get TSA Pre-check and sometimes not. Somehow the waits in line are not that much of an issue for me. It gives me time to pull my things out of pockets and place in a single bag so they are not loose when going through the scanner.

GE is free for me because I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred which only pays for 1 person even if you add another person to the card ($75 fee). Chase Freedom card does not and she has that.

I think the nearest GE place is a 1.5 hour drive away. We could do this but not sure it's worth the effort if only using GE a few times before renewal is required.

I can get GE free and DW would have to pay.

Is global entry worth the trouble if we only vacation out of the US maybe twice in the 5 year GE period?

Probably not.

And you would both have to get it if you travel together.

We use it annually plus fly a lot domestically and appreciate always getting the domestic TSA Precheck.

Good gosh.

You all are making me feel so lucky that I have no desire to travel any more! All this has apparently become insanely complicated over the years.

Global entry?

Mobile passport?

Trusted traveler?

TSA pre-check?

:eek:

If I was an international traveler (I'm not! Never again will be!) I would probably have just innocently shown up with an old fashioned (paper) passport, expecting to be processed through in reasonable time, just like it was for us back in the 1950's. How times change.

Well, I do remember ONE time when we were delayed 10-15 minutes, back in 1953. We were going through Cyprus so that we could get from Israel to Egypt (a bit tricky back then for political reasons), and I was five years old so I didn't realize that loudly announcing to the agent that I had measles was not a particularly great idea. Oops! :LOL: I think that cost my father a little extra $$$ under the table. I actually did have the measles but even so I remember my father was pretty upset with me for a few days.

If I was an international traveler (I'm not! Never again will be!) I would probably have just innocently shown up with an old fashioned (paper) passport, expecting to be processed through in reasonable time, just like it was for us back in the 1950's. How times change.

In general we've experienced pretty reasonable process times without having any special passport options. The wait can seem very long after flying for 11 to 14 hours though. We've generally traveled off the peak summer times and maybe in those June-August periods the waits are longer.

Yesterday we returned from an international trip. We flew into FLL, which has Mobile Passport. Worried that there would be a long wait due to staffing shortages, I decided to give it a try, even though we also have Global Entry. Sure enough, we breezed through. Global Entry had some folks in line, regular immigration had a moderate queue.

After we collected our luggage I looked and saw lines everywhere except Global Entry so I went there. Wrong choice. The agent asked for our doc, which we didn’t have and sent us down the inspection line. The agent there told us we weren’t entitled to use Global Entry unless we first used it for immigration, then told us the immigration agent didn’t process our entry at all. He took our passports and we sat and waited for about 10 minutes. He returned, gave us back the passports, asked a few questions, and let us go. They were all very nice, friendly, smiles, and helpful, and gave us a bit of advice before letting us go,

He said that Mobile Passport was good for cruise trips, which he called “circular immigration” - where passengers just got on and off in the US and never really left except to “ship around the Caribbean”. He also said an overseas trip to the US was “real immigration”, that Global Passport “cost money” so that’s where they put their focus and energy, and it was “hands down” the best way to enter the US.

Thinking about it, everything he said makes sense, and I’m not sure why I didn’t see that when we were getting ready for our return trip. Lesson learned for me.
Can confirm the mobile passport is the slick free way to expedite disembark at Port Everglades Ft Lauderdale. When its open. During the shutdown it was not in early Jan. They were still allowing Global Entry

I have Global Entry and used to use it all the time when I was working. (Overseas trips 10+ times a year).

Since the rest of the family does not have it, in recent overseas trips with the family (total 7 people), we have cleared passport control using the regular lines before our bags arrived at the carousel, so doubt I will splurge for GE for teh whole family. (And this is arriving at ORD, which is usually pretty busy, but have not had any issues with international arrivals).

When you apply for Global Entry you may want to see where the locations are to apply. There is an interview required in the application process. Not all cities in the USA have interview locations.

We already have our interviews scheduled during our next trip, assuming there isn't another shutdown.

Since the rest of the family does not have it (Global Entry), in recent overseas trips with the family (total 7 people), we have cleared passport control using the regular lines before our bags arrived at the carousel, so doubt I will splurge for GE for teh whole family.
This answers the question I had: "Does it make sense for one spouse to get Global Entry if the other one doesn't have it (if you're always traveling together)?" To which I conclude: "Both travelers (or all travelers) need to have it, or you can't stay together." Which makes perfect sense.

GE is free for me because I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred which only pays for 1 person even if you add another person to the card ($75 fee). Chase Freedom card does not and she has that.

That was my NEXT question that got answered! I just signed-up for a CapitalOne Venture in order to get the $500 bonus when spending $3K in the first 3 months. I noticed this Global Entry "perk" on the paperwork and thought I might go for it. I suppose we both could get GE and the deal would turn into a half-off offer for the pair of us. But then I'd be spending money I wouldn't have spent if I hadn't see the paperwork.

We have been on around 2 international trips per year together in the last 4 years, and about an additional 1/3 of the time it was me (not the pair of us). If we keep up that rate, the per-use cost, especially at half-price, seems reasonable.

One thing that has been giving me pause on the Global Entry is having my "prints" in the system (finger). But now with facial recognition, I guess everyone is subject to the false-positive risk. I've placed my hand on a device when entering the country or other countries before...it seemed like you did that or you didn't get in. I don't know if they saved those or just compared to know bad actors and disposed of them. Anyway, I'm down a rabbit hole.

Can confirm the mobile passport is the slick free way to expedite disembark at Port Everglades Ft Lauderdale.
In the above statistics, we have entered into the country via Trans-Atlantic cruise ships, but through Tampa and NYC. I wonder if that only works if you've just been to the Caribbean. I like "free"! I've never heard of mobile passport. If there's no interview and bio-metrics, that's a win!

One thing that has been giving me pause on the Global Entry is having my "prints" in the system (finger). But now with facial recognition, I guess everyone is subject to the false-positive risk. I've placed my hand on a device when entering the country or other countries before...it seemed like you did that or you didn't get in. I don't know if they saved those or just compared to know bad actors and disposed of them.

Being retired military with some ridiculously esoteric security clearances, I have been fingerprinted so many times I'm surprised there are any ridges left on them. So I really don't worry about that part. The Global Entry kiosks simply compare your fingers with the prints they have on file for you. I have noticed on some trips that they're really not too anal about it -- if most of your fingerprints match, that's good enough.

Canada uses an additional system -- iris scans. We had to get that done because we like the Nexus program (half the cost of Global Entry and more benefits).

I remember when the military started using the iris scan method (many decades ago) at some of our more secure installations. It's pretty darn accurate (more so than fingerprints). The standing joke was that they were reading your iris pattern with a low power laser, so if it didn't match they would simply turn up the laser power and fry your brain in the entryway.

I like "free"! I've never heard of mobile passport. If there's no interview and bio-metrics, that's a win!
Mobile Passport replaces the paper Customs declaration they hand out as you disembark a cruise or airline. Depending on the airport it can be slower than Global Entry (if they have no line for GE) or faster.

But you need to submit a photo (on the app on your phone) and provide passport info to set up your account. So there are biometrics.

With Mobile Passport you bypass the GE kiosks because you have already given them a photo (to compare to your passport, as part of setup), but, when you get to the Customs Officer, if they don't have a Mobile Passport line, you need to use the general customs line. This last part depends on the airport.

Works at 3 cruise ports and 25 airports nationwide. See the website for info. https://mobilepassport.us/

- Rita

How do these special programs
differ from just paying a bribe to get to the front of the line?
;)

How do these special programs
differ from just paying a bribe to get to the front of the line?
;)

Well, they do avoid the jail time that would be associated with trying to bribe an ICE official. Also, Mobile Passport is free, so you get to keep the money you would have spent on a bribe! :cool:

Well, they do avoid the jail time that would be associated with trying to bribe an ICE official. Also, Mobile Passport is free, so you get to keep the money you would have spent on a bribe! :cool:

If it was me I'd try to bribe the other line goers not the ICE officials! "Here's $20 for your place in line" :cool:

A bribe, huh?

Well the Global Entry program is a trusted traveler program. They take all your fingerprints and do an FBI background check and passport/customs check on you as well as interview you in person. If you have clean record and meet other criteria, you are considered a trusted (i.e. low risk) traveler. You are given a Known Traveler Number - KTN that you use in subsequent airline reservations.

And they keep track of you too - you can lose your status if something new comes up on your legal or customs record that disqualifies you.

A bribe, huh?

Well the Global Entry program is a trusted traveler program. They take all your fingerprints and do an FBI background check and passport/customs check on you as well as interview you in person. If you have clean record and meet other criteria, you are considered a trusted (i.e. low risk) traveler. You are given a Known Traveler Number - KTN that you use in subsequent airline reservations.

And they keep track of you too - you can lose your status if something new comes up on your legal or customs record that disqualifies you.

And you get on the same airplane and enter the same country as all the "unknown travelers" without fingerprints and background checks.

Last edited:
I have not but rules are renewal process every 5 years and includes interview just like a newbie applying for the first time.

Both DW and I renewed our GE a few months ago and we weren't required to do the interview. So, YMMV.

Even for just *one* trip a year requiring going though ICE, it's worth the cost to me...especially if it means catching a connecting flight.

And you get on the same airplane and enter the same country as all the "unknown travelers" without fingerprints and background checks.

Except I don’t have to wait in huge busy lines or take my shoes off/pull stuff out of my bags going through domestic security.

It’s worth it to me. I often used to have to stand in customs lines for an hour. It’s lovely to bypass that due to my trusted traveler status.

It’s about convenience and comfort. I’d rather spend the hour between flights sipping a mimosa in the club than waiting to get through customs.

Some folks won’t uograde seats in a plane because “you get on the same plane and arrive at the same time”. But the entire experience is far more pleasant near the pointy end.

Last edited:
Except I don’t have to wait in huge busy lines or take my shoes off/pull stuff out of my bags going through domestic security.

It’s worth it to me. I often used to have to stand in customs lines for an hour. It’s lovely to bypass that due to my trusted traveler status.

It’s about convenience and comfort. I’d rather spend the hour between flights sipping a mimosa in the club than waiting to get through customs.

Some folks won’t uograde seats in a plane because “you get on the same plane and arrive at the same time”. But the entire experience is far more pleasant near the pointy end.

I agree. I just think that paying your way to the front of a government line is akin to legalized bribery.
Think of the revenue the gov could pull in if there was a fee-for-service express lane for SS questions... or a "trusted filer" program with the IRS.

Back
Top Bottom