Global Entry - Now there's an APP for that

5Miler

Recycles dryer sheets
A new APP is now available for Global Entry which I just downloaded from the Apple Store. Looks like it is supposed to allow facial recognition on your mobile phone before even entering the passport control area. It will be May next year before I will have the opportunity to try it out. Hopefully I will be renewed by then.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/global-entry-app/

Thanks for the heads up! I'm flying overseas on the 14th and back on the 21st. I'll have to try it. I don't think you'll need to enter your global entry number - it's probably just submitting your photo to the same system that the camera booths use at the airport. I haven't had to scan a passport or show any card/number for over a year while using these fast track lanes.
Edited: I could have sworn you mentioned not having a place to enter the GE number

Looking at the CBP site this app isn't ready yet, but soon. Sounds like you still need to do the customs declaration at the kiosk:confused: But the kiosk is described as keyless.

I know the was already the CBP app, which was basically your declaration and picture taken after you land. It sounds like this app is similar but tired into global entry.

(Read about the CBP app here on er.org)

Cbp mpc is out and being used. It's in the Google Play store.

At least at my home airport, SFO, the entire Global Entry process is so fast I can't see it making any time difference. I'm always through Customs even before the baggage carousel has even dropped its first bag. Still the best travel investment I've ever made.

Looking at the CBP site this app isn't ready yet, but soon. Sounds like you still need to do the customs declaration at the kiosk:confused: But the kiosk is described as keyless.
I haven't filled out a customs declaration form the last two times I've entered using global entry (ATL and MIA). I found it surprising but I always go through the green lane and haven't spoken to a customs agent.

Cbp mpc is out and being used. It's in the Google Play store.

I just downloaded the new Global Entry app from Apple's app store.

It has apparently been available for a couple of weeks.

When we returned from London last week, DGF and I entered the Global Entry lane encountering a queue of about 5 minutes to use the facial recognition kiosks in Atlanta. From there we entered another short queue (less than two minutes) to see an agent who called out our name as we approached his station and quickly sent us on our way with no need for passport or any other identification. Evidently, he had all our info from the facial recognition kiosk and was ready for us.

Despite the speed of this process, all of the bags for our flight had already been pulled from the baggage carousel and were sitting on the floor waiting to be claimed. This was on a Wednesday afternoon at about 15:00 local time. We were traveling with friends who go not have GE and they only took about 5 minutes longer than we did.

Just arrived through Global Entry yesterday

Best experience we ever had. You just walk up to the Global Entry machine, look at the camera, and it does everything. Evidently facial recognition and link to our airline check-in data. It knew who we were, where we travelled from and to, bag info if we had checked anything. Completely hands-free, no scanning anything, no questions to answer.

DH and I applied for Global Entry in July and are still waiting...
How long does this usually take?

When we returned from London last week, DGF and I entered the Global Entry lane encountering a queue of about 5 minutes to use the facial recognition kiosks in Atlanta. From there we entered another short queue (less than two minutes) to see an agent who called out our name as we approached his station and quickly sent us on our way with no need for passport or any other identification. Evidently, he had all our info from the facial recognition kiosk and was ready for us.

Despite the speed of this process, all of the bags for our flight had already been pulled from the baggage carousel and were sitting on the floor waiting to be claimed. This was on a Wednesday afternoon at about 15:00 local time. We were traveling with friends who go not have GE and they only took about 5 minutes longer than we did.

That baggage delivery sounds like a miracle for Atlanta. Our last (domestic) trip we waited an hour for our luggage to arrive at the carousel.

Last month I entered U.S. at Charlotte Airport using Global Entry in about 10 minutes. I had to wait for my luggage for 70 minutes and missed my connection. My Global Entry renewal has been submitted for more than a year, it is still pending without any action, and expired in May, but I could still use it.

I used the new Global Entry system in June our first time travelling internationally since Covid. It was new to me. It kept saying "See Attendant" or words to that effect. I thought we were doing something wrong so kept on trying. There was a guy there helping other people. at the time. When he finally came over to help us, he said "See Attendant" meant to move on to the guy at the exit. The Kiosk wording was ambiguous.

Be forewarned and don't stand around looking for help like we did.

I used the new Global Entry system in June our first time travelling internationally since Covid. It was new to me. It kept saying "See Attendant" or words to that effect. I thought we were doing something wrong so kept on trying. There was a guy there helping other people. at the time. When he finally came over to help us, he said "See Attendant" meant to move on to the guy at the exit. The Kiosk wording was ambiguous.

Be forewarned and don't stand around looking for help like we did.

I got the same message at the facial recognition kiosk but just kept on moving to the next station like I knew what I was doing. Relieved to find out it was the right move. Seems the GE process changes a bit every time we use it.

Well it’s been 4 years so we appreciate the pointers. We just have to remember to remove our reading glasses for face recognition.

Back
Top Bottom