Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
.......... Which engine have you got in the Escape?.........
Mine is the hybrid, so it is a 4 cylinder. Others with a conventional 4 cylinder Escape get about the same highway mileage. My camper is only a 13 footer, but at highway speeds the frontal area dominates, so a 16 or 17 foot trailer would be similar, though I'd want the V6 for a heavier trailer.

As you doubtless know - the more seams the more leaks. If the structure is wood,.... well you know the rest. The biggest complaint about the small trailer is that there is no space around the bed, so midnight trips require you to crawl over your partner.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
there is no space around the bed, so midnight trips require you to crawl over your partner.
Are there any disadvantages?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #243

Good one😄
Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My camper is only a 13 footer, but at highway speeds the frontal area dominates . . .
Quote:
The biggest complaint about the small trailer is that there is no space around the bed, so midnight trips require you to crawl over your partner.
I've been thinking about the relationship between these factors, and wonder why an "egg" isn't designed that's a bit narrower and a bit longer to allow the bed to be oriented along the trailer's axis --> reduced frontal area and allow access via the foot of the bed. A queen mattress is 5' wide by 6.5' long. Maybe a 5' to 5.5' wide interior is just too narrow to be practical.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As you doubtless know - the more seams the more leaks. If the structure is wood,.... well you know the rest. The biggest complaint about the small trailer is that there is no space around the bed, so midnight trips require you to crawl over your partner.
I am starting the 8th season with my conventional build trailer. No serious leaks as of yet but water damage is one of the primary proximate causes of death for trailers. Are there any seams on the fiberglass trailers? Any on the roof? I am hoping to kick the can at least another 5 years, but after that I will be looking hard at a fiberglass trailer.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Are there any seams on the fiberglass trailers? Any on the roof?
Folks with direct knowledge will chime in, but from what I've read the main parts (which are only a few in number to begin with) are glassed together during assembly, so the main exterior becomes one solid, seamless structure.
But, there are seams around the openings (vents, windows, door, etc). On this count they still have a bit of an advantage, because they generally have foam rather than loose "wool" fiberglass between the inside and outside walls. With no/little wood in the main structure, there's nothing to rot and with the foam, there's little room for mold to grow if water does get in (compared to loose FG insulation). I'm guessing that there are weep holes down low to let any water out.
From what I've read, the Casita's fiberglass shell goes completely around, while the Scamp's floor has wood on the outside of the "egg", so the Scamp floors bear watching.
All the above is subject to correction by more knowledgeable parties. . .
Old 04-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From what I've read, the Casita's fiberglass shell goes completely around, while the Scamp's floor has wood on the outside of the "egg", so the Scamp floors bear watching.
All the above is subject to correction by more knowledgeable parties. . .
You have it right. The Achilles heel of a fiberglass trailer is the wooden floor. If windows / vents are allowed to leak and water to accumulate, the floor rots. Having fiberglass under the floor doesn't help - the floors rot from above, not from road spray.

That said, there are plenty of fiberglass campers from the late 70's still running around. Mine is a 1985 and it looks like new. One can even replace a rotten floor, but it is a big job.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been thinking about the relationship between these factors, and wonder why an "egg" isn't designed that's a bit narrower and a bit longer to allow the bed to be oriented along the trailer's axis --> reduced frontal area and allow access via the foot of the bed. A queen mattress is 5' wide by 6.5' long. Maybe a 5' to 5.5' wide interior is just too narrow to be practical.
Probably the closest current design to this concept is the Lil Snoozy, but it still has the cross wise bed.

Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites
Old 04-24-2015, 01:36 AM   #249
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
I am making plans to join the RV community this fall. My frugal nature will not allow me to buy new. My 6 months of research has me planning to purchase a 10 year old, 45 foot class A by October 1st this year. 10 years old appears to be the sweet spot in the depreciation vs functionality of diesel RVs.
Well, so much for planning... A motorhome that met all my criteria showed up and I bought it. Been living in it the last 3 nights as I must be highly available for my consulting project. I still need to drive it from Vegas to Phoenix.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #250
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, UtahSkier! I seem to spend more and more time in mine.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #251
Recycles dryer sheets

What brand of motor home? Something I am looking at myself

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #252
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryjm51 View Post
Mine is Europeean like myself. And from 2009:
Concorde Wohnmobile - Concorde Charisma Classic
Old 04-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #253

I guess this posting has about run its course. To those that would consider mini fiberglass travel trailers, they're just about as expensive as a full size travel trailer with a slider. They're just not good buys.

A 28' travel trailer with a slider is a good compromise in a trailer in size and cost--and they can be towed by a 1/2 ton truck.

I have a new fifth wheel trailer with 4 slides and it's absolutely beautiful. But if you put a new 3/4 ton truck in front of it, you're a talking $110K purchase.

If you go to a new gasoline powered Class A, you're talking $150K. A diesel pusher Class A will average $250K, and it's nothing to see them go $500K. And that's on top of 7 mpg.

It gets expensive to live the simple life of being a wayward retired gypsy traveler.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I guess this posting has about run its course. To those that would consider mini fiberglass travel trailers, they're just about as expensive as a full size travel trailer with a slider. They're just not good buys.

A 28' travel trailer with a slider is a good compromise in a trailer in size and cost--and they can be towed by a 1/2 ton truck.
It all depends on what a person wants/needs. For just two people, who might be going for a week at a time, a big trailer doesn't make much sense. For this use, a slider is another place to leak rain water, and it adds weight and complexity. A (used) fiberglass trailer will cost more (per sq foot, with the same amenities) than a typical aluminum trailer, but they seem to leak less often and hold their value well. Plus, used ones are easy to sell--so they may be a fine buy in the long run.

Used truck campers also can offer a surprising amount of utility at a low price--and there are fiberglass versions of those, too. In general, though, the self-contained ones require an F-150 size truck or larger.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
................ To those that would consider mini fiberglass travel trailers, they're just about as expensive as a full size travel trailer with a slider. They're just not good buys. ...........
It all depends on what you value - if you buy an RV by the square foot for the pound, I guess I'd agree. But, given that used fiberglass campers usually sell within a day of advertising and that new ones have a 4 or more month wait, it seems some might disagree with you. YMMV
Old 04-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #256
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryjm51 View Post
Its a 2006 Newmar Essex, 4502, All Electric

Drove it yesterday from Vegas to Phoenix in about 8 hours. Nice ride and not too stressful for the first driving experience.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #257
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
Its a 2006 Newmar Essex, 4502, All Electric

Drove it yesterday from Vegas to Phoenix in about 8 hours. Nice ride and not too stressful for the first driving experience.
That's a very nice RV. Enjoy.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #258
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a fiberglass Class C, made by Born Free Motorcoach from Humboldt, Iowa.

They are spendy, but very high quality. I'm travelling full-time, and currently exploring New Mexico and their wonderful state park system. I tow a Subaru Forester.

RV'g is a great way to see the country.
Trix55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Learning to Motorhome!
Old 09-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #259
Recycles dryer sheets

Learning to Motorhome!

or how I spent my summer.

DW and I have taken a 3 or 4 night trip each month and have 2 more trips planned.

I have actually experienced a bit of stress worrying about the reliability and complexity of the motorhome systems (inverters, chargers, leveling system, slideouts, etc).

But, gaining experience is the only way forward. The motorhome is becoming easier to operate as I learn. My last trip was 400 miles with a Jeep Cherokee in tow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0617.jpg (639.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #260
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice rig! Hope you'll keep posting about your experience.

We're hoping to sell the house and get on the road.

To an earlier poster, we looked at Born Free because we heard they are well-made, but ended up with a fifth wheeler (already have a truck to pull it).