Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Surely, that's a steal at $2500. At that price and that condition, if I see one, I might just buy it to pull behind my class C, and to rent it out to whoever wants to go to Alaska with me. Helps pay for gas, you know?

So, you have done Alaska. How about Newfoundland and PEI?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
.......... How about Newfoundland and PEI?

Nope, but they are on my bucket list.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So, you have done Alaska. How about Newfoundland and PEI?
PEI.....borrring........ Newfoundland & Alaska...love to go.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

I have been thinking about a long Alaska summer trip of 3 months. I would have gone last year, but my wife has a family obligation such that she cannot leave town for that long. Commuting to and from our 2nd home does not cause a problem because it's only 2.5 hours one way. So, I have been state bound except for summer trips of 1 to 1-1/2 month at a time.

Out here in the West, it takes a long drive to go anywhere, and I do not drive the RV faster than 60mph. Even so, last summer trip really opened our eyes when we went through the Idahoan Sawtooth Mountains. Of course, we were only scratching the surface there. We will go back, but through a different route.

Anyway, I will do that summer-long Alaska trip. Then, the next year summer will be spent along the banks of the St. Lawrence River. Some of these places, I have been to but on very cursory short vacation trips. And I still want to go to PEI to see how boring it is. Yes, just to say I have been there...

Sometimes, just seeing how the locals live and make a living is interesting to me. In last year's trip, it just so happened that one leg of the trip took us down the length of Nevada, from Twin Falls Idaho to Las Vegas. We stopped for a lunch break, parked at the town square of Ely on a weekend afternoon. The small-town quiet atmosphere was so much different than the hustle and bustle of large cities and their suburbs. It was so peaceful that we lingered for several hours.

Similarly, we have been up and down the East Coast from Key West to Bangor, but touring the same places at a leisurely pace would open up different experiences that our earlier hasty visits could not have accommodated. Yes, RV'in properly requires one to have plenty of time, i.e., being a retiree or semi-retired.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

A month or more sounds wonderful. Since I am working full time, I am lucky to get a week and change at a time. At some point I will either take a leave of absence or simply quit so that we can take a long trip before the kids are too old.

This summer we have a trip to Durango/southwestern CO and a trip to the badlands area of SD.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Even after being retired for almost 7 years the longest RV trip I've been able to manage so far has been three weeks. However, changes are afoot and I'm hopeful by August we'll have fewer responsibilities and more flexibility to travel for extended time periods.

In anticipation of GFD* I've been planning a month-long trip to NM, CO and the canyonlands of SE Utah. No doubt diesel will be north of $5/gal by that time, but I've built it into the budget.

*Grandparent Freedom Day

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

I have yet to be on the road for 3 months, but on 1 to 1-1/2 month trips, we never have a day when we just sat in the RV getting bored. Of course, we were moving around perhaps a bit too much. We could have covered the same itinerary in 2 months, and have a day to relax here and there. But there are so many places to go, and even with 6 weeks, I felt I needed to get going.

All this talk is going to drive people who are still working insane, I know. Sorry!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No doubt diesel will be north of $5/gal by that time, but I've built it into the budget.
... along with stopping every 500 miles or so to tighten the lug nuts on the wheels...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Someone needs to invent a "wheel wobble" detector.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... along with stopping every 500 miles or so to tighten the lug nuts on the wheels...
+1

We took a 800 mile round trip a couple of weeks ago and I used my new torque wrench to check every lug nut before each leg of the trip. Happy to report no sign of any loosening.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even after being retired for almost 7 years the longest RV trip I've been able to manage so far has been three weeks. However, changes are afoot and I'm hopeful by August we'll have fewer responsibilities and more flexibility to travel for extended time periods.

In anticipation of GFD* I've been planning a month-long trip to NM, CO and the canyonlands of SE Utah. No doubt diesel will be north of $5/gal by that time, but I've built it into the budget.

*Grandparent Freedom Day
Chigger season escape trip?

- Will Rogers
Old 03-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Chigger season escape trip?
Sorta - but I'd need to leave in June and not return until October if I was serious about it. More like an escape from the oppressive summer heat.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #113

Quote:
And I still want to go to PEI to see how boring it is. Yes, just to say I have been there...
Which is exactly why I went to PEI........some people love it, (one of my late wife's brothers included), but she and I saw nothing remotely 'outstanding'.

Quote:
Sometimes, just seeing how the locals live and make a living is interesting to me.
This has pretty well always been number one with me.......cities worldwide increasingly have so much in common, and I'd rather avoid the homogeneous and focus on things that are at least somewhat specific to an area/country.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Stove, sink and ice box on left, bunk beds at front, double bed that folds into a dinette at rear.

Maiden voyage is in June when DW finishes school. Right now I'm installing refrigerator, brakes and converting bunks into a couch / dinette.

Can you say LBYM?
Wow, that looks great...very compact and in great shape. I can't wait to hear how the maiden voyage goes.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

*Grandparent Freedom Day
Oooooh, that sounds wonderful. Our longest trips so far have been one week at a time. I can't wait to pack up and hit the road for a REAL trip.

My hubby is still installing the towing equipment on our Jeep (base plate is on; today is wiring).
Old 03-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We took a 800 mile round trip a couple of weeks ago and I used my new torque wrench to check every lug nut before each leg of the trip. Happy to report no sign of any loosening.
D'oh, now that you've actually used the torque wrench you're going to have to get it recalibrated!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #117

Quote:
If you haven't done so, research the (free) dispersed camping options in the National Forests and BLM land. Can really save money if you can do without 'hookups'. We like to boondock 2 days, then hit a campground for one night to dump the tanks and recharge the house battery. Planning on adding a few more batteries to extend our boondocking capacity.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
If you haven't done so, research the (free) dispersed camping options in the National Forests and BLM land. Can really save money if you can do without 'hookups'. We like to boondock 2 days, then hit a campground for one night to dump the tanks and recharge the house battery. Planning on adding a few more batteries to extend our boondocking capacity.
Is it hard to find a good spot? How much offroading do you have to do?

- Will Rogers
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Alternating between dry camping and commercial full hook ups is what we always do. I have yet to do free dispersed camping however, and usually end up paying $10 to $20 per night for state or national campground. The reason is that most of the places we wanted to stay were in National Parks (no dispersed camping there), or we did not have time to scope out a place. Most of the spots we saw were too rough terrain to risk taking the MH in. This is where a smaller vehicle would have an advantage.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
I've not had the pleasure of spending much time in areas with BLM lands and National Forests (no streetlights!). My 5th wheels (both the trailer and the DW ) aren't really configured for boondocking so I'd have to do some work to take advantage of the opportunity. I could always add solar, another battery and a small generator, but I doubt I could "configure" DW to change her opinion. Not really her thing.