My First "Real" RV Trip

We then bypassed Seattle, which we were quite familiar with, to go to the Olympic Peninsula. Not wanting to go through downtown to get to the ferry, we dipped south of the Puget Sound, which gave us a chance to do a bit of sightseeing in Tacoma.

We then parked the RV at a state campground in Bainbridge to allow us to spend time exploring this island and its downtown. We next moved to Fort Flagler, from there we visited Port Townsend. These campgrounds were about 1/5 occupied, and we saw that most of the RVs had Washington plates. I talked to a fellow RV'er who lived in Bellingham, and another in Bellevue. I guessed they waited until the out-of-state visitors were all gone before they came out here to enjoy the seascape.

img_987220_0_83bf75c1afb25708302aa790d112bb53.jpg

The next few days were spent in Olympic NP, which I always wanted to visit, but never had the time. We saw some deer on the Hurricane Ridge.

img_987220_1_c997d0f8c0e4cc2d91dd57df4d706b86.jpg

We stayed at two campgrounds, Sol Duc and Kalaloch. It started drizzling ever since we left Fort Flagler campground, and here was a view from inside our motor home.

img_987220_2_38b6a43cd6ad51e5e7983a2141e087d6.jpg

I had thought of also going to Hoh Rain Forest Campground, but had plenty of rain right at Sol Duc, so changed my mind. Again, this late in the season, campgrounds were nearly deserted, but I am sure that in the peak summer months it would be tough to get a spot. Kalaloch had more people still, however. This is the most popular campground in the NP, and in the peak months, one needs advanced reservation to get in.

Our time started to run out, so we did not get a chance to spend much time on the Oregon coast. We need to come back to do it justice. For example, we barely stopped in Cannon Beach to snap this photo.

img_987220_3_123cabaf13b32a7c4d380ef04f69e94b.jpg

From then on, we ran out of time to pretend to be travelers, and got back into tourist mode. Things happened more quickly: 1 night in Tillamook, then 1 night in Coos Bay.

On the way down to spend 1 night in Redding, we passed by Mt. Shasta and Shasta Lake.

img_987220_4_669775d355b7f77119fe68c2a2fd421a.jpg

img_987220_5_88d9b312d626ffc14bd6fd6304b0cf4a.jpg

img_987220_6_640f4bf5a2789116ff74165f054c75c0.jpg

Napa was a planned stop, for convenience as well as a place I wanted to revisit.

img_987220_7_6aae64476efc09f487ba94d808bcb7ac.jpg

This was the 4th time we visited Napa, with the first time being our honeymoon, and the last time being more than 10 years ago. My, have things changed! Freeway 80 is now 5-lane wide in each direction, and brings visitors from San Francisco to but 20 miles south of all the vineyards. And as we got to Napa in the late afternoon, there were traffic jams due to worker's commute. Boy, will I live to see Route 29 becoming a divided highway?

We then skipped San Francisco as we had been there quite a few times, and headed south to San Simeon. Hearst Castle was something we had wanted to visit for 30 years, but whenever we came to CA the timing never worked out right. This time we wanted no excuses. We stayed in a state campground a few miles away, another one that we knew would be difficult to get into during the summer months.

img_987220_8_12dd9513fb0b489aca6feb025ac7b16d.jpg

img_987220_9_d2ad711baf09955771c6a92eea0fd277.jpg

Our last stop before home was to visit my aunt in La Habra, a place about 10 miles north of Anaheim. To get there from Solvang, I had to drive through LA downtown, and I knew traffic was going to be brutal. So, we hung out at a state beach in Capinteria to kill a few hours, so that we would drive through LA in the evening hours (8-9PM). Oh my! I later learned that to get light traffic, we should have delayed until the early morning hours, like 2-3AM.

There were simply too many people. At Capinteria State Beach, we walked the campground, which was full by the way, and snapped this photo.

img_987220_10_d584656ec1700b2dddbea63e4378c92c.jpg

It cost $60 for a beach front lot, and $50 for the back rows. Dry camping slot or a tent spot was $35. In fact, people who arrived there without reservations and had no place to go would have to settle for an "En route camping" slot, which was simply a parking spot in the day-use lot. They were not allowed to really "camp", meaning to put out their BBQ grill or lawn chaises, and would have to leave by 9AM the next morning. The cost for that? $35 and the ranger told me there were only a few slots left. My, my, my!!!

What?!?!? Someone is getting a new rod? :eek:
Of course I am getting a new rod, a long and curvy one, just like the other two posters recommended, as they spoke from experience.

And why the surprise? I thought woman RV'ers all know about this. :confused:

Are we still talking RV's here? :cool:
Is there another topic here? :confused:

OK, many of you would wonder what the bottom line was, cost wise, but don't know how to ask.

I will spare you the trouble and spill it here. According to my wife, we spent about $3200 for this trip, which lasted 30-some days. About half of that was for gasoline. I drove the motor home a bit more than 4,000 miles, and the toad about 1,200 miles. The motor home averaged 9.1 mpg. I consider that fairly good, as I got only 10mpg on the first 400-mi trip, which was on flat-land and without towing.

Other than the fuel cost, the rest was all miscellaneous things, like for food, campground fees, etc... The only big things I could think of that stood out were the $200 to buy some wine bottles to bring back as gift, and around $100 to replace the toad battery and some other vehicle maintenance items.

Thinking back, it was the cheapest trip that we have ever done, considering that we were out on the road for more than a month. Of course the vehicles were a sunken cost, and that does not count :) Now that the toy was paid for, the more I use it for travel, the more I save!

Does that mean you put the motor home on the train for that leg?

No. The RV is sitting in the friend's driveway in Fallon. I would have loved to have brought our house along. I told Brenda that we have really become spoiled during the past few years -- without our house, we are like fish out of water. We find that having your own pillow and sleeping in your own bed is only a small part of what makes RVing so great -- its the little things that count as much. Of course, it could be said that we have only forgotten how to pack but train travel doesn't allow for much luggage -- none of whch fits in your cabin with you.

BTW, earlier when I mentioned the "marathon" to Fallon from Moab, I may have not been too clear. We did stop in Ely, NV at 3:30 that day and arrived in Fallon the next day at Noon -- the "Lonelist Road In America" is well-named for sure.

LOL! I think you did 6+ months of my RV travel in what 1 month or less? Dang!

Great pics! You hit some awesome spots.

Audrey

nice trip... i ventured into the only temperate rain forests in the USA a few years back... the Hoh, Queets and Quinalt (if I recall correctly)... funny while I visited two of the three it never rained...

I thought the RV could be transported along on a flat-bed, and would not expect it could be lived in while in transit. About putting the RV on a ferry, they do not allow passengers to even get to their vehicles while in transit for safety reasons. What if someone does some cooking, and burns the whole ferry down?

About RV traveling, I already wonder if we would remember to pack light, when we again make trips to Europe. Would the RV style spoil us? Or should I seriously think about RV'ing through Europe?

No. The RV is sitting in the friend's driveway in Fallon. I would have loved to have brought our house along. I told Brenda that we have really become spoiled during the past few years -- without our house, we are like fish out of water. We find that having your own pillow and sleeping in your own bed is only a small part of what makes RVing so great -- its the little things that count as much. Of course, it could be said that we have only forgotten how to pack but train travel doesn't allow for much luggage -- none of whch fits in your cabin with you.

LOL! I think you did 6+ months of my RV travel in what 1 month or less? Dang!
Actually, I am not proud of it. I'd rather spend more time and take it more slowly. I kept telling my wife that this was just a sampler, and we will come back to these parts. In Idaho we missed the wine country, the Ice Cave, Hell Canyon, for example. In Oregon, during my pretrip planning, I naively studied maps of the areas of Klamath and Umpqua Forests, thinking I would have time to explore there. Ditto for Crater Lake, Klamath Fall, etc, etc... :nonono:

nice trip... i ventured into the only temperate rain forests in the USA a few years back... the Hoh, Queets and Quinalt (if I recall correctly)... funny while I visited two of the three it never rained...
It may be like the Oregon coast, in that the summer months are normally dry, and the rain season starts at around September. But even in that drizzle, I saw some younger folks backpacking to venture out on some trails to get deep into the forests. Oh, we are just too old for that kind of adventure, and I never did any of that when young. I was working and studying way too hard...

Thanks so much for the photos, the descriptions, and (yes) the costs. It is very enlightening and gives me some serious ideas for planning. Your pictures are stunning and I'd love to hear more about Hearst Castle. As a southerner, the part of the world you explored is wholly unfamiliar to me.
Thanks again NW-Bound!

Thanks for the well written and illustrated travelogue - I enjoyed it. We like car trips, but have no interest (so far) in an RV.

I enjoyed the photos, thanks for posting them!

we did not have the time to check out Hell Canyon like T-Al did in his recent trip. With an RV towing a toad, I needed to do a bit of research before tackling anything that appeared too rough. I also did not have the time. This was also put on the "next trip" list.

Don't give Hell's Canyon a high priority. It's a lot of driving, and the canyon isn't that spectacular compared to others.

I enjoyed the photos, thanks for posting them!

Don't give Hell's Canyon a high priority. It's a lot of driving, and the canyon isn't that spectacular compared to others.
We drove ways and ways to look down at it. And guess what - it was full of smoke! Big forest fire.

It's probably worth going in by jetboat though - no? I always thought that should be really awesome.

Audrey

...I'd love to hear more about Hearst Castle.
When I told of our castle visit to my aunt, who has lived in the LA area for nearly 35 years, she said she and her husband have not seen it, and yet they love to travel. San Simeon is in the middle of nowhere. It is too far from the LA area for a day trip. Driving from LA, they got there too late to take a tour. One must arrange to stay overnight in a nearby town, and to combine the castle visit with some other activities, such as touring some vineyards in Paso Robles, or as an en-route stop on the way up to Monterey, for example. So, I told them that Cambria, a place a few miles south of Hearst Castle, has been now developed into a motel town for visitors. They said they would try again.

I first expected the visit to Hearst Castle to be like a visit to many European castles. You would pay the entrance fee and then be allowed to roam and look around at your leisure. No, visitors are on strict guided tours, each lasting 1.5 hours. The castle is on the hill a few miles from the ocean, and visitors are bussed to the castle. The photo that I posted was made with the 14X zoom camera from the visitor center.

There are several tours, and each covers a different part of the castle and auxiliary buildings. We took the recommended Tour 1 for first-time visitors, which covered one of the guest houses, the pools, and part of the main mansion. One must take Tour 2 in order to see the kitchen and the 2nd floor, for example. Each tour group is accompanied by a docent and a second guide who makes sure nobody steps out of line. If one wants to take multiple tours, after a tour, he will be bussed back to the visitor center to sign up for the next one.

The tour costs $24 each, and is followed by a documentary movie telling the story about the castle. Not knowing a whole lot about W.R. Hearst, I found the movie interesting. For example, we learned about how his father, a miner from Missouri, made his fortune from mining and bought the land for $0.75 per acre. W.R. Hearst made his own fortune from publishing, and did not inherit that land until he was already 57 year old.

Though I would be interested in taking more tours to see other parts of the castle, I would not want to do that back-to-back. We may come by this area again, and we will pay it another visit. Because a tour and the movie take only 2 hrs, and a visitor would not want to spend the rest of the day in the visitor center and gift shop, one would be wise to line up some other activities for the day of the castle visit.

I took some photos, but am a bit reluctant to post them because of the admonition that photo publication would require authorization. I searched the Web, and there seems to be no lack of posted photos. If I find some of mine that I am proud of, compared to what are on the Web already, I may post them, but that seems unlikely.

The castle was donated to the state of CA, which has been operating it as a recreational park, but the Hearst private corporation still owns the land that surrounds it. It used to be 300 sq.mi, and I do not know how much they have sold off, if any.

... As a southerner, the part of the world you explored is wholly unfamiliar to me.
Someone should start to describe their visits to other parts of the country. There are states that I have not been to, such as Tennessee and Kentucky, for example. I am sure each state has something interesting.

We drove ways and ways to look down at it. And guess what - it was full of smoke! Big forest fire.

It's probably worth going in by jetboat though - no? I always thought that should be really awesome.

I looked again at a picture that T-Al posted here.

That picture is mesmerizing to me because that canyon is, well, so ugly, for lack of a better word. Could it be that was how the canyon was named?

It looks like it could serve as a hellish back drop for the movie "The Lord of the Rings". If and when we come that way again, I may find a place to park the motor home and drive the toad down there to give myself a look.

And yes, driving through the area, we saw a billboard sign advertising boat rides into the canyon. It could be interesting.

I think it is named Hell's canyon, because it was too dangerous to be navigable before modern dams and boat engines.

Audrey

The one we checked out was $150 per person -- might be worth it. I've been on a jetboat trip on the Klamath, and it's fun.

Back
Top Bottom