Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
She's alright looking I guess.
So says Fuego as his wife watches over his shoulder.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
So says Fuego as his wife watches over his shoulder.
lol... She kinda looks like my wife. DW may have a slightly darker complexion. And her eyes are slightly larger, and nose is slightly larger. And the beauty spot is in a different place.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
lol... She kinda looks like my wife. DW may have a slightly darker complexion. And her eyes are slightly larger, and nose is slightly larger. And the beauty spot is in a different place.
Braggert.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have zero vehicles at home. Sold the BMW convertible when I returned from PV last June. Drove the SUV down to leave here in October. When we return in June we will evaluate whether to acquire another costly vehicle or just use bikes, transit and taxis. It is very much a mindest and the portfolio is telling us to think outside the box.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

My portfolio is telling me to live in a box...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Braggert.
Hey, I guess you get used to a certain look and fail to appreciate its novelty to others.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
My portfolio is telling me to live in a box...

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, I guess you get used to a certain look and fail to appreciate its novelty to others.
With all due respect, I think this goes a little deeper than novelty. Don't forget, others may appreciate more fully what you take for granted. If your wife looks like Lea, I recommend you bring her flowers twice a week.

ha
Old 04-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #29

If you find your current home box. Here are instructions for low cost improvements.

This Ol` Box Video
Old 04-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Very interesting look at costs. They also have posted their 2007 costs:
Good reading, but I wonder how much of the spending is apples to apples? Example - does the "living in UK" costs include 1 car, 2 cars or none? Obviously taking public transit and only occasionally renting a car is much cheaper than maintaining a fleet of 2 vehicles to drive to work. Inspirational stuff though.
[/URL]
Using the two vehicles as an example, something you have to remember is it is not always necessary to have the same of anything from country to country to maintain the same lifestyle. For example, here in the US for the first time in our lives we have had to get two cars, because urban sprawl and public transportation dictates it as being a necessity. When we lived in the UK we could manage without any vehicles and it was the same in Paris because we could rely on public transportation. If we wanted a car to visit some place out of the way we would hire one for the weekend. We believe that not owning a vehicle actually improves your life as it makes you more active and is less stressful.

So for me the apples to apples comparison needs to be based on overall standard of living rather than matching possessions.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
We believe that not owning a vehicle actually improves your life as it makes you more active and is less stressful.

So for me the apples to apples comparison needs to be based on overall standard of living rather than matching possessions.
So what is it that makes you stay?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's right. I agree that the metric would be "standard of living" and not necessarily matching possessions.

Sure, some places you don't absolutely have to have a car to get around (let alone 2 cars for a family). But one reason for that is urban planning that results in cars being a less convenient manner of transportation (lack of parking or expensive parking, tolls, congestion pricing like downtown London, inadequate capacity on roads, long delays, etc). Many (most?) urban dwellers, if given the choice and it was convenient, would choose a car over transit. You go exactly where you want to go quickly and cheaply, and park immediately adjacent to your destination in a climate controlled vehicle essentially from door to door. Add two young kids to the equation (in my case) and cars are the much favored mode choice.

Having a car, even for short trips, in a physical environment that is car friendly is a great convenience. It is something that would be tough to give up with a nomadic lifestyle. But that is just one factor among many in the apples to apples comparison I suppose.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We believe that not owning a vehicle actually improves your life as it makes you more active and is less stressful.
This is the way I feel. Yet I own a car. I can do almost everything I want to do witout one; but not having a car would make my social life harder. Unless one is a student with all his friends living in one small area of town, there are probably only 3 or maybe 4 US cities where your social life wouldn't be changed íf you had no car. Our local rapid transit only runs a few routes until late at night; and honestly in many areas it isn't all that appealing to be standing at a bus stop at 1:30 AM, for reasons too numerous to mention.

Ha
Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
This is the way I feel. Yet I own a car. I can do almost everything I want to do witout one; but not having a car would make my social life harder. Unless one is a student with all his friends living in one small area of town, there are probably only 3 or maybe 4 US cities where your social life wouldn't be changed íf you had no car. Our local rapid transit only runs a few routes until late at night; and honestly in many areas it isn't all that appealing to be standing at a bus stop at 1:30 AM, for reasons too numerous to mention.

Ha
I think this is very true, especially for a guy. If a potential date does not even have access to a car, it can be hard for a financially independent woman not to wonder about his motives.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
So what is it that makes you stay?
Whilst we are in the accumulation phase there is no better location for us than our current position.

I don't believe it would be possible to exist in California without the convenience of a motor vehicle, that is simply the reality of the situation. However in a location like Paris it certainly is. We did not have a car in Paris, however metro is so easy and convenient to use that it is probably quicker than driving anywhere. We also used to walk miles every day as it was so interesting whereas if we are doing the same distance here we would probably get in the car even if we had the option of public transport outside our door. Also the use of public transportation for a date in Paris is not thought of as odd like it is in the US as it is common not to have a car there. It was great going out at night and not having to have a nominated driver, everyone could indulge in a vino or 2 and not have to worry about getting caught by the booze bus.

I think not owing a car is a real mindset and believe it would be more of a struggle for an American than for a European. It is wonderfully freeing to not have a car at your convenience, it really does encourage you to use your legs for what they were put there for. I know since moving to the US and becoming more car bound I have gained weight.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I remember a guy saying that women who live on top of hills, and get around without cars, have the most beautiful legs.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I think this is very true, especially for a guy. If a potential date does not even have access to a car, it can be hard for a financially independent woman not to wonder about his motives.
I think if the guy has a driver available, that problem disappears. We found a semi-retired chauffeur and would go places in his limo cheaper than a taxi. Everyone thought we were rich because we always had "our driver" Len drop us off and pick us up.

It was cool.

And it was cheaper than a car by far. I know this might not be practical in that hell-hole known as SoCal but then that is the price they must pay for sunshine.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
r. Our local rapid transit only runs a few routes until late at night; and honestly in many areas it isn't all that appealing to be standing at a bus stop at 1:30 AM, for reasons too numerous to mention.

Ha

Good reason to spend the night !
Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Whilst we are in the accumulation phase there is no better location for us than our current position.

I don't believe it would be possible to exist in California without the convenience of a motor vehicle, that is simply the reality of the situation. However in a location like Paris it certainly is. We did not have a car in Paris, however metro is so easy and convenient to use that it is probably quicker than driving anywhere. We also used to walk miles every day as it was so interesting whereas if we are doing the same distance here we would probably get in the car even if we had the option of public transport outside our door. Also the use of public transportation for a date in Paris is not thought of as odd like it is in the US as it is common not to have a car there. It was great going out at night and not having to have a nominated driver, everyone could indulge in a vino or 2 and not have to worry about getting caught by the booze bus.

I think not owing a car is a real mindset and believe it would be more of a struggle for an American than for a European. It is wonderfully freeing to not have a car at your convenience, it really does encourage you to use your legs for what they were put there for. I know since moving to the US and becoming more car bound I have gained weight.
I lived in Lyon, a large city in central France, for 5 years and I can say without hesitation that I would consider having a car there a liability. Public transportation is super convenient (fast, cheap, efficient, clean, safe and frequent). I used to walk to work on nice days (about 40 minutes through a beautifully landscaped park) and I really miss that. I used public transportation to go everywhere I needed to, i.e. buses, metros, funiculars and trams for transporation within the city and trains to get out of town. The only problem was coming home from a party in the middle of the night. I sometimes had to walk a few miles through the city at 3-4 a.m. to get home (I never felt unsafe though) or get a ride from a friend. If I ever live in a large European city again, I'll ditch the car for sure.

Walking or using public transportation was such a relaxing time for me. I used to love taking a seat on the bus or the train, look out the window and just let my mind wander. No stress. No worries about traffic. No need to hunt down a parking space. I loved it.

Of course, walking or using public transportation is not really an option in suburbia, where I live now. The nearest bus stop is about 2 miles away. Buses come only once per hour and it takes about 2 hours to go across town (mid-size). I sometimes walk to the nearest shopping center but it takes about 1 hour one way when walking briskly.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I remember a guy saying that women who live on top of hills, and get around without cars, have the most beautiful legs.
Only the legs?